Stein Mart Associate Buyer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Stein Mart

1 Interview Review

Associate Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stein Mart (Jacksonville, FL) in February 2016.

Interview

Steinmart starts off with 2 phone interviews followed up with an on site meeting with the merchandising team.

In preparation for the interviews, I researched the company, the financials and other related materials to show the value I could bring to driving their categories. Steinmart's Vision and Mssion statements stands for respect and collaboration. As a Category Manager and Buyer for 2 respected retailers, I was excited to join Steinmart.

Off the bat, the intimate apparel manager implied that I did not know what I was doing or had the business experience because I was coming from a different industry. Imagine a woman walking into an auto parts store being stared down with the look asking "what does a woman know about fixing cars?"

In spite of me explaining how I have consistently turned around a number of under performing categories by taking a customer centric approach and using factual data to anticipate trends to bring differentiated, unique product to market; I was talking to a wall.

On top of that, she displayed poor manners and did not seem interested in showing respect for others.

I withdrew from the process. Why inject myself with egos or threatened people who are distracted from bringing out the best in others to build a healthy business that brings buyers together with sellers?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Beyond that, the interviewer talked about the company in general.   1 Answer