Steven Madden Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.3

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Bronx, NY).

Interview

Interviewed with the store manager. Seemed to have gone really well. Told me she would contact the DM for us to meet. She liked me, told me she would contact me th next week but never did.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Steven Madden (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Easy I was referred by a friend. I sent in my resume and got a call back within the week. I was asked to go in for an interview. They asked all of the basic questions. I was called back and got the job and asked to go back in to fill out paperwork. I started shortly after that.

Finance Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Steven Madden (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Before going into the interview I did my due diligence and researched the company culture, interview process and read employee reviews, all of which surprised me. All of the reviews spoke ill of the CEO, management and the overall culture of the company. Some things I read were that there was no room to grow in positions, management does not treat their employees well, they do not hire from within, or pay appropriate salaries for the workload colleagues bear, and that communication and transparency was limited. I did however take this with a grain of salt, because a majority of the time, it is only the disgruntled making reviews, so I was still eager to go in with an open mind, I just wanted to get a quick lay of the land. Upon my arrival, I knew that ALL the reviews were indeed, correct. As I was sitting in the lobby waiting for my interviewer to come meet me, I overheard of group of colleagues blatantly talking about another employee out in the open for the entire office to hear, they were speaking about her inability to do her job correctly, they asked how she was even ever hired here, etc. It was embarrassing to say the least, and I have never experienced that kind of talk in a professional environment before. After a few moments my interviewer came to greet me and walked me into the interview room. I do have to give some credit to the office, it is set up like a big show room, very well put together and it seems like it makes for a very collaborative and creative space. I was instructed to take an excel test to test basic competencies. During the test he came in to check on me once, after about 15-20 minutes I was finished with the test, at that time he told me that he does not interview anyone who takes longer than 10 minutes to complete the test. When beginning the test I was never told of a "time limit," and the time in which I took the test was of a natural pace to complete all 3 tasks which included completing a P&L for 2 years, a series of Vlookups, Sumifs and pivot tables, as well as writing a macro. I completed this task in an ACCURATE and TIMELY manner. He did not interview me, not until our time together was up did he bother to look at my resume. Where he continued to insult me and my current position without even asking anything about it. He told me that he could never do what I do now, that he calls my position a "4 wall accountant" and that where I am at in my stage of my career (which he knew nothing about because did not ask me a single question about it), that I was not cut out for the job. Please also let me note that I was recruited for this position by their recruiting agency. Right before I left he noted on my resume that I was getting my MBA, where he followed to tell me, "well you must have some semblance of a brain in there." Completely rude, and utterly disgusted. The arrogance and ego from this interviewer was unparalleled. The reviews were correct, so to all thinking of applying for a position within this company, DO YOUR RESEARCH. There are plenty of other companies out there with far better manners, prestige and culture.

Web/Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Long Island City, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Long Island City, NY).

Interview

Super casual, but very straight forward. They really know who they're looking for, so if they ask a lot of questions about your background, it usually means they're very interested.

Interview Questions

• What was one challenge you faced and how did you get over it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Steven Madden (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

They were extremely interested in your previous experience and look into your references and they are interested on how deep your people skills are. they are curious on how adaptable you are since working in new york means you can work with people from any background

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Malden, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very easy laided back friendly they asked good questions and they made you want to work there it was group interview which in ever had so they just throw questions at you and you kinda don't want to say the same thing you just heard

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a person couldn'tfind there size   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Very Laid back. The interviewer was very friendly and personable. I went into the store and they asked me a couple of questions and I received the job on the spot. It was a simple process. I even filled out the paper work that day. A positive experience overall!

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Syracuse, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Basic interview. I applied online, heard back 2 days later. Went in for an interview the following week. Then I went in for a second interview and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your fashion influences?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mission Viejo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Mission Viejo, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Casual interview with store manager at the Steve Madden location. First was a phone call, then a sit down interview. Manager asked typical interview questions and made sure I was a match for the company.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for this company?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Part Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Steven Madden (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

It was a quick process and took up to 3 days. Asked questions about previous job and employers, what I liked and did not like. Got hired on the spot but they had to do a thorough background check.