Stony Brook University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stony Brook University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2017

2.2

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Interview

It was quick and easy, office was not easy to find especially since the campus is huge. then finding the right room was also difficult. But the whole process was simple fast and straight foward.

Interview Questions

• How many hours can you work?   1 Answer

TLT Student Consultant Interview

Interview

Group interview. They went around the room asking your name, major and one fun fact about yourself. Afterwards, you are split into groups of 4 to work on something together while the senior consultants take notes. Our specific task is to decorate the commuter loungue and we presented as a group when we're finished.

Interview Questions

• Name, current standing, major and one fun fact about yourself   Answer Question

Interview

Contrary to popular belief, you don't necessarily need a GPA above 3.0 to be a TA. If you got a good grade in a course, and are on good terms with the professor that is in charge of it, you can wager a shot at asking. Because you get graded credits for being a TA, you can easily use this to boost your GPA.

Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied and received an email the next day requesting to schedule a phone interview. The interview lasted 45 minutes. I followed up 2 weeks later and was told they hadn't made their decision but that I was not one of the top candidates being considered.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict between other lab members   Answer Question

Peer Tutor Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Interview

Very friendly group of people, nice work environment. Easy application: fill out a short Google form, get a recommendation from a professor, and interview with a graduate assistant. I received a decision within ten minutes after my interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you suspected a tutee was just trying to get answers on an assignment?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about yourself and why you want to be a tutor.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Ask about general questions. No technical problems since the job is easy. The interview is short and easy. They hire 10 graduate students to help them build the platform. Most of them have computer science experiences.

Interview Questions

• How will deal with unreasonable people?   1 Answer

Grant Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight-forward, explained the details of the job and the process if I was selected to continue on to the next round of interviews. Asked if I had familiarity working with faculty. All in all, a very easy-going, positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Why I'm interested in the job, given it was different than my educational background.   Answer Question

Desk Monitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

You are herded into a room with various other people who applied for the Desk Monitor job. Each interview is roughly ten to fifteen minutes long. They'll ask you about previous work experience and how familiar you are with the position.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the duties of a Desk Monitor?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to pick what hours I was wiling to work based off of open spots. However, pay is fixed and increases based on how many semesters one has the job for.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Interview

One group interview where they asked you to make a team of 3-4 people. You have to work together to come up with a product. It can be anything, they just want to see you do teamwork

Peer Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Conducted by two graduate assistants. They asked me questions regarding my previous tutoring abilities and how I would resolve situations that regarded difficulties with them. Overall, it went similarly to many undergraduate leadership position interviews

Interview Questions

• If a student asked you to help them with homework or give them an answer to the homework, what would you have done?   Answer Question