Stony Brook University Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stony Brook University Research Assistant Interview Questions

2.3

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Stony Brook University.

Interview

We make an assignment by email. After few days, I meet the professor in his office and talk about some possible projects ongoing. I make an introduce of myself. Professor get to know what my interest and my ability is.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Stony Brook University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

One interview with a panel of three committee members for the first round. In the second round, a full day of interviews with a vice president, a department head, and the rest of the department (i.e. the folks who would be your peers).

First round was a fairly easy interview, with friendly and professional interview committee members. There was about a month between the first round and the second round. In the second round, it didn't seem like the team was prepared to hold interviews. They were confused about the interviewing schedule and each part began significantly late (first interview of the day was something like 20 minutes late, the second was almost an hour late). During the interview, it became clear that the job requirements they actually had differed from the job description. When interviewing with the team that would have become my peers, you could sense the palpable fear they had for the leadership in the department as well.

I never heard back regarding an offer. I figured out that I didn't get it when I received a notification email stating that the requirements in the job that I had applied to had changed and to reapply if I was still interested. After checking, they had re-posted it with slightly different requirements. This wasn't a very professional way for me to find out, especially since I had made it to the final round of interviews and had taken time off from work to do so.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Tell me the best part about Stony Brook.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

just find a group which you are interested in and talk to the leader of the group. Better to have a good GPA and background knowledge. Passion for their work will be a plus.

Research Assistant Interview

Interview

You have to go through the admission process of the university. It is similar to the procedure followed by other universities. You submit your resume, all official transcripts, GRE scores and TOEFL scores if you need to, a personal statement indicating who you want to work with and why and have 3 professors send a recommendation letter for you to the university. This procedure should be done by mid december and you will get an answer around april.

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY).

Interview

Applied through the professor I was working on a project for. Hiring was mainly based on my experience and background. I was lucky enough to have done a project similar to the one the job needed.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

just some questions about image processing and MRI techology

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

submit online, interview on site; nice boss and teammates, fair-difficult questions; and he asked a lot of questions about the technique you use, and your career plan. You need to answer fluently to make the boss trust what you said. Also need to show you have both skills for dry and wet experiments.

Interview Questions

• What did you research previously? What is this technology in somewhere of your resume? Do you have a reference? Any publications?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

This was not a typical interview process. To get this job I had to be a graduate student at the university. I was already involved with my research group and asked to become a research assistant. After that the process took about a week for my adviser to getting grant funding cleared for my salary.

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewer will ask about previous work experience (or lack thereof).

Interview Questions

• Not really difficult, but if you haven't had many jobs in the past, be prepared to explain why.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Stony Brook, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stony Brook University (Stony Brook, NY) in August 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed to see if I have required Mathematical and Computer Science skills for the job of a Research Assistant. A professor interviewed me under whom I was supposed to do research.

Interview Questions

• How well you have done in other courses ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is fixed.