Storm8 Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Storm8 Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.5

37 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Storm8.

Interview

The interviewer called in and asked some basic resume based questions. The Interviewe said that the battery was dying out and was on the way to work and would call me back. The interviewer called me back after 20-25 minutes and then gave a coderpad problem. I was halfway through it and there was only 5 mins left, was asked whether i had any questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Storm8

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone conversation with the recruiter before a phone screen. Later stage involves an on-site panel with multiple interviewers. Coding and algorithms. Multiple interviews. Emphasis on correctness and efficiency. More geared towards fresh grads. Interviewers are young but talented. Youth is reflected in the culture. Nice offices, lots of pets.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied in person, followed by an HR phone screen (with minimal technical questions), online collaborative coding test (via phone and collabedit), and finally an on-site interview. The process was smooth and the recruiter was really great to deal with.

The coding test over the phone was not too tricky. I was able to correctly solve all the problems, but the interviewer wanted cleaner code in some cases. He was a nice enough guy, but it was hard to understand him at times due to his (Chinese) accent.

The on-site interview ramped up the difficulty considerably. I met with 3 different engineers (one after the other) and was asked 3 different questions (all LeetCode medium & hard difficulty problems). At the beginning of the interview, they say that they are interested in your 'thought process', so if you get stuck, just talk it out. Well, this is totally not true. All 3 engineers seemed nice, but as with the phone interview, they all had accents that made them difficult to understand at times. After they write the problem on the board, they will just sit there without any feedback.

For programming interviews, I learned that it is important to have a process to solving the problems: understand the problem (work through examples), write pseudo-code and work through examples and edge-cases, write actual code, then finally step through the code with a couple examples. It is a long process, but it shows your thought process to the interviewer.

Well, for this company, it seems that they really only care about the final code, so my above 'programming interview process' is kind of useless. On top of that, you have to type it out on a laptop via collabedit. I had working solutions to all 3 problems, but my code was sloppy and I didn't have time to go back and refactor.

It's a very stressful situation when you're asked a difficult question, get ZERO feedback as to how good or bad you are progressing, and then are expected to type out a complete solution with clean code in a limited time frame.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised at the difficulty of the questions given the fairly low-quality games they put out. I can't get into specifics due to NDA, but you will need to study LeetCode medium & hard difficulty problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Storm8 in March 2015.

Interview

This guy named Marlon had to reschedule the interview a few times. it was just 30 minutes.

He went through my resume first, asking some typical questions about my different projects and what I would be interested in.

Spent some time explaining the company and how they were interested in good candidates with some general OOP knowledge, and how they were willing to train you if you got hired.

He then asked some simple big O notation questions and said he would contact be later.

Told me a week later that I wasn't a strong match

Interview Questions

• big O notation of the different sorts   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I received an email from one of Storm8's HR employees a few days after submitting an application. He set up a phone call with me. It was short-- he explained the positions available (I think this is just their standard recruiter talk, since I had specified the position I was after), answered my questions, and asked me a couple of very general technical questions about Big-O runtime notation and object-oriented programming, just making sure I had a basic idea of what I was talking about. He was very helpful and informative.

Another few days passed and I got an email telling me that the hiring manager was interested in advancing me through the interview. He emailed me, and set up a technical phone screen with one of the engineers.

The technical phone screen consisted of a few verbal questions about the basics of data structures and so forth, then a couple of coding questions using collabedit. The first was a fairly common question about a rotated array. I'd seen it before so I was able to solve it quickly; the interviewer asked for me to make my code a little cleaner, then was satisfied and moved on. The second question was a trickier sorting question. I got the initial logic underlying the solution but had a little trouble working out the exact implementation. It took me a little while to get it, but the interviewer was satisfied by seeing my thought process.

After that, I did have to wait for a little while longer, because I'd applied early in December, and the holidays had arrived-- of course it's going to be difficult to schedule an interview then. I received an email asking me to fly out for an onsite interview and was able to schedule one for the week after I received the email.

The onsite interview started with a tour of the office (I can't say much about what I saw that isn't already advertised on their site) with the HR guy I'd been talking to, followed by some non-technical interview questions and company info with him before switching off to the next interviewer. I then went several interview rounds with different engineers. All of these started out with basic q&a and then went to one or two coding questions. The coding questions started out on a whiteboard, and ended with typing it out into a collabedit document; I was encouraged to talk my way through what I was doing, and then to make sure my code was clean. I did struggle with a couple of the questions. The interviewers were helpful without giving away the answers, and understood that some of my difficulty was just a matter of nerves. The questions ranged from basic string and array manipulation to a data structures question to a couple on recursion/dynamic programming. (Of course, they didn't always say what method you were supposed to use to solve something, no "this is a dynamic programming question"; you had to use your judgment.) Basically they were making sure that I knew how to code and to do so neatly and efficiently.

One of the engineer interview rounds also included a lunch break; I just ate with everyone in their cafeteria and got to meet some of the other people at the company.

After all the technical rounds came one more basic q&a with the head of engineering. I received my offer in person at the end of the onsite interview, though apparently that's unusual for them. They do really want you to respond to an offer very quickly. I had no problems with the process of arranging travel out there, and they were pretty understanding with the time frame for that since I was flying from the East Coast.

Interview Questions

• There was a data structures question that didn't look like it was about data structures on the surface that kind of threw me for a loop. This was the second question I had with that particular interview, and his first question was the more important one. Not sure I can say what the question actually was due to NDA.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Storm8 in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through their website, one recruiter call, one shared doc coding test, and then the onsite. The online test was done with a programmer over the phone. They used to do automated Codility tests, but do not anymore. It was the rotated array question, which seems to be pretty standard for them. The interviewer wanted a very specific solution to the problem, I had a solution that worked but apparently it wasn't "clean" enough for him, even though it worked in the optimal O(log(n)) time. Anyways after some conversation I got it where he wanted.

The onsite questions were a little harder. They all seem to be recursion/dynamic programming problems. None of them have anything to do with mobile or gaming and are general algorithm problems you might see at Google or Amazon. I got through the first questions, but after asking the first few engineers some questions, I decided I didn't really want to work there and kind of blanked on the last problem. Also they second guy I interviewed with was working on his laptop for 90% of the interview, he didn't really talk for the first 30 minutes after writing the question on the whiteboard. This is funny because the recruiter told me communication is a big thing they look at during the interviews, if you can explain why you are doing what you are doing it is a good thing even if it isn't exactly right. That is blatantly false, as the interviewers want only the most optimal solution and perfect code.

Really all of my mobile game programming experience did not matter, they only care about problem solving skills. This is good for people that want to get into the game industry and have no experience, although I'd argue Storm8 isn't really in the game industry. From a tech perspective they really seem to be behind and just approach each game release with a blunt force approach. When they told me how they port their games to Android I just giggled. And "game" is a generous term when talking about Storm8 titles. They are just a bunch of clones that they push out at fast as possible. As an experienced game programmer, they are not a company I would want to work for.

Interview Questions

• NDA prevents me from specifying the onsite questions, but like I said they are all hard recursion/dynamic programming problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Storm8.

Interview

Very High bar, but High Quality company. Interview is not on past experience, but on what you SW knowledge you know or have retailed since school. Process is pretty standard and recruiter tries to prep you through it all, but overall, SW Team is hard to get through.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Storm8 in March 2014.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, phone interview followed by on site.

Before the interview, they make it a point to tell you a few hundred times that their interviews are extremely competitive and they hire only the best talent. I read the other reviews and looked like they wanted fully compiling, most optimal solutions, typed out only using a text editor - which is fine, every company has a right to set their standards. They hyped it so much, that I stepped up my preparation and went ready to give it my best shot. And my best shot I gave, for 2 rounds that is. I gave the best solutions for the 2 questions I was asked but there was no third round. I was quite unceremoniously kicked out. No explanation given, no follow up from the recruiter either.

I was not sad, because quite honestly I just went to see how tough the interview actually was. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary - the usual career cup/leetcode medium level questions. But there is such a conceited air in this office, an arrogance which seems unjustified and quite laughable since they haven't really done anything of note in their area. They are just another decent paying Bay Area company and nothing special. They would do well to note that and stop hyping themselves so much. They should instead focus on delivering some quality games!!

Interview Questions

• NDA - so can't go into specifics. General algorithm/coding questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit resume online and get an online test, then have a phone interview with a engineer. After that, onsite in CA with 3 back-to-back interview. Interviews are based on the basic algorithms, need to master array, permutation and have very clear thoughts on the problems and your codes.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

A headhunter got in touch with me regarding this company that I had never heard of. She forwarded my details to the recruiter who didn't like my profile but gave me a courtesy call and tried to sell this company to me like it was Google. She said I had a non technical background. Got the rejection through headhunter but never heard back from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Never even got a phone screen. I wonder why the recruiter even called.   Answer Question