Stripe Account Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Account Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a mutual friend. The interview process was overall very cold and unresponsive. The recruiter would verbally agree to timelines and miss them. Upon my follow-up, I would get an answer back days later until the answer was "Sorry, we filled the role." For being on so many lists for a great place to work and having fabulous products, this felt chaotic.

Interview Questions

• How would you use Stripe Elements?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

The recruiter Jill was great and always on her A game. The process: recruiter call, team member call, take home exercise/homework, review of exercise/homework with a current AM team member, onsite. Onsite consists of 6 people in 45 minute intervals. It was an intense schedule and each interviewee asked different questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process starts by having a phone screening with a recruiter followed by: phone interview with AM on the team, writing exercise, call with AM on the team to go over the exercise and then a 3 hour onsite interview meeting with different members of the team. It's a very organized process, but the onsite interview felt more like an interrogation than a 2 sided interview. Similarly to what another candidate said, you do not have any interaction with the manager until the onsite at the very end. I think this has the potential for bias, as you get very little time to actually prove yourself to management. You are asked to do some API troubleshooting followed by different exercises. Personally, I felt that half of the exercises were not relevant to the position. I found it all also difficult to get questions in. One of the interviewers was very combative and didn't let me get a word in without interrupting me.

In the end, I received an email that they passed on my candidacy without any specific detail. I do appreciate that there was an offer to go over feedback on a call. My main point of feedback to recruitment is to make it more about actual scenarios and examples relevant to the job. One of the questions was to pick an app and act as a product manager, which would have been more relevant for an AM to talk about a project collaboration with product that resulted from client feedback.

Interview Questions

• Pick an app and pretend you are the Product Manager what would you do and why   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Protracted process with multiple face to face interviews and written competency test. Interviews in London and San Francisco (travel and expenses were covered). Scheduling of SF interview was complicated by Thansgiving so whole process was drawn out but very professionally handled. Despite positive feedback I was not offered a role due to a restructuring of the London office where the role was based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

-I applied online and received an email from the recruiter 2 days later to set up a time to talk over the phone (initial phone screen).
    -10 minutes before our scheduled phone call, recruiter asked to postpone because she had something come up last minute. We scheduled for the next day.
    -Recruiter called me on time, and I had a chance to talk more about my background, and also learn more about the AM role. Recruiter felt I was a good candidate, and informed me that the next round of the interview would be speaking to an Account Manager.
    -A week later, I had another phone interview with an AM. It was more like a conversation getting to learn more about the position, what it entails, and then getting to learn how my background ties in the role. I felt like we had a mutual understanding that my qualifications and experience matched what they were looking for (I had 6 years of AM experience, and I was well versed in Stripe's APIs). I even asked the AM if there was anything I didn't expand on during our conversation, or whether there was something that made me seem less ideal for the role, and she said that I was a worthy candidate based on our conversation.
    -2 days later recruiter sent me an email that they decided to pass on my candidacy.

I feel that Stripe has the wrong approach in their interview process. Rather than having one of potential future co-workers interviewing me on the second round, I should be interviewed directly with the hiring manager from that department. This reduced bias and subjective judgement. For all I know, that AM could have relayed to the hiring manager false information about my qualifications, even though I was truly a worthy candidate for the role. Every other company I have interviewed at, I have always spoken to the direct hiring manager first before any of the other team members first. Stripe has it the other way around. I am afraid, many of the candidates are going to receive bias opinions because it's a future co-worker that is immediately trying to vet them out. If you are more qualified than them, they could easily see you as competition and choose to make up lies about your candidacy to the position. In closing, this process of hiring is flawed at Stripe unfortunately.

Interview Questions

• 1. Please tell me about yourself.
      2. Why Stripe?
      3. How many clients do you work with at your current position?
      4. What do you do with clients when they get angry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Company reached out to me, call, three hour onsite in Dublin, three hour onsite in San Francisco. Stripe flew me to San Francisco alone for 3 nights/ 4 days for final round of interview. No one checked in with me to see if I had arrived or needed any help in the city, I was promised reimbursement for my food and taxis while there... I am still waiting nearly three years later. I was not the correct fit for the job nor it for me as they wanted someone way more technical. The whole experience for the final round was daunting and intimidating, the fact it cost me a good chunk of my own personal funds has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (Tokyo (Japan)) in March 2019.

Interview

I was introduced to this position by an employee who put me in touch with the regional recruiter. After a pleasant call with him, I was asked to prepare a written assignment which was split into two sections: describing a payment solution to a non-technical crowd and identify some prospects.

The following step was the on-site interview with three people who came in one by one and asked questions about how I would approach a certain situation and my general knowledge about online payments.

The team rejected me for Japan due to my non-native proficiency, however the recruiter was kind enough to suggest another location, since he felt I was a good candidate overall (and I thank him for that).

I started over and had 5 more interviews and completed another written assignment (same structure, but different region).

Unfortunately, I came out short on the very last interview with the regional head. While I had a good feeling during any other call/meeting, this time I could sense that she wasn’t enjoying speaking with me.

4 weeks later, the same recruiter gave me the bad news with the feedback, and also offered to discuss over the phone the reasons behind the rejection.

Overall, the recruiters have been amazing and the interviewers were all quite cool and friendly. The whole process turned out to be a 5 months’ long odyssey, but I made it to the very last step, and I can be ok with that.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (London, England (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

Not really a fit for experienced account managers in my opinion. Even though Stripe, the business, is ambitious and going places, there is a profoundly broken recruitment process and feedback mechanism that is just not on par with Stripe's employer brand perceived from the outside. It was a phone screening, a fairly time consuming written project, one phone interview and 6 interviews on site with no offer but a vague rejection based on aspects barely discussed during the interviews. Had to follow up myself after 2 weeks of waiting to get a negative answer. All in all, do not be surprised by the relative lack of interviewing skills of the sales team you will meet. I would recommend the sales function at Stripe UK for junior reps as they would have little or no expectations from a B2B enterprise business. The silver lining is that the individual team members were all friendly and welcoming but it was not a wise use of my time.

Interview Questions

Stripe Response

Mar 4, 2019 – The Stripe team

We’re so sorry you feel you didn’t have a great experience interviewing at Stripe. We always aim to provide the best candidate experience and prep candidates with the information they need to succeed. We do offer a follow up call to discuss feedback, which is still available should you be interested. Feel free to reach out to your recruiter so we can schedule a call or coffee.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Melbourne (Australia)) in February 2018.

Interview

First step was a phone interview with a hiring manager. We spoke for about 15 minutes. She asked me general background info and why I was interested in the role. After assessing initial fit with the role she told me she would schedule a phone interview with Country Manager (I was applying for position in Melbourne, Australia.

A few days later I had a 30 min phone interview with the head of the Melbourne office. Once again, the questions were all very general and related to my background, experience and interests. I was told that I would be contacted again for next steps.

I was then contacted via email and asked to complete a written project that consisted of the following: (1) Write emails responses to 4 different customer inbound emails; (2) API debugging questions. I was given a snippet of a customer's code and asked to debug it, and then write a response to that customer to explain why they are experiencing trouble; (3) Account Priorization. Given a list of real customers and asked to choose only two to work on and asked to explain why.

A week after I submitted the written project I was then invited to another round of interviews, this time via video conference. I had 4 interviews, back to back, 30 min each, which different members of the Melbourne Office. All were Account Managers / Sales roles.

I then waited almost 3 weeks. I had another job offer which was pressing me to accept, which I did end up accepting. I wrote to Stripe before accepting the other offer and asked where I stood in the process, what came next, etc. But heard nothing back. I then received a rejection after I had already accepted the other job.

Overall, the people were very nice. The hiring manager who was my main contact throughout the process was awesome. I enjoyed the process. I didn't get the job in the end, but even if I did, they would have let me known too late. The interview process is very rigorous and complete. The 4 interviews were divided by theme. The first one was related to general goals and metrics. The second one was a case study and was asked to walk through how I would go about deciding how well Stripe is doing with startups. The third interview was all about product. The fourth was all about how I would respond in common AM scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Why Stripe?
      Describe a complicated process you have worked on.
      What are the goals of an AM?
      What metrics would you use to measure these goals?
      How would you prioritize those metrics?
      Give me an example of a time you managed a tough customer.
      How would you go about determining how many AMs we need this upcoming year?
      CASE STUDY to answer: How well are we doing with startups?
      What is a product you love? Why? How would you improve it?
      How could Stripe do better in terms of its product?
      What isn't Stripe doing well?
      What would you do if you need an urgent answer to help a customer but you can't get the info from your team member?
      Tell me about a time you have solved a tough customer issue.
      Tell me about a time you have worked with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in October 2017.

Interview

The Stripe interview process is clearly different to most companies and it is something they are proud of. They evaluate candidates in a far broader manner than others and expect competency across multiple areas.

They provided brilliant support across the whole journey. The interview process involves:
    - CV screen
    - Interview about experience and motivations
    - Written/Analytical assignment
    - Review & Analysis
    - On-site (which is an intense day of interviews, but you have a great opportunity to learn a lot about Stripe too)
    - Final interview over VC