Stripe Account Support Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Account Support Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Portland, OR) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, and a recruiter reached out via email. The first step was a half hour phone screen with the recruiter, it was mostly her telling me what the job was. She spoke fast and didn't seem too interested, I wouldn't be surprised if she was reading off a script of what needed to be said.

I was sent a writing exercise which I completed and sent back. The same recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a phone interview with a member of the Account Support team.

The phone interview with the Account Support member went okay, though I am a little confused at why I wasn't speaking with a hiring manager. After getting the rejection the day after this phone interview, I requested feedback on where I could improve. I received a response from the recruiter (and not the Account Support member I spoke with) that she could not share any specifics with me in terms of constructive feedback. The process felt like a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job?   Answer Question
  • How do you deal with unhappy users/customers?   Answer Question
  • What is frustrating about work or unfulfilling work?   Answer Question
  • Why do I want to work at Stripe?   Answer Question
  • Hypothetical scenario, talk recruiter through your thinking on how to problem solve this: A user writes in and says they haven't received a payment in their Stripe account from a customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I had met a manager before applying and had a great conversation for about an hour after which they suggested I apply to another position there. I applied, had a coordinator schedule a call with a recently hired recruiter who called me the next day. We spoke for 15 minutes about standard boiler plate questions and ones I had discussed at length with the manager who I met before and statements which I went more in detail with the cover letter, interest statement, and hypothetical problem assessment sections. Nothing was out of the ordinary or difficult and it seemed like it went well overall. I knew the manager chat before which was longer and candid went very well. The recruiter who called said she'd get back to me by end of day. She never did so I had to email the coordinator the next week who gave me the news that it was a difficult process but that this position wouldn't be a good fit in the end. I asked for some more feedback as to what part was contentious 3 days ago and still haven't received any reply.

Interview Questions

• What excites you about working at Stripe? What else interests you about Stripe? What kind of work do you do now?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview process was comprised of two phone interviews followed up by a five-hour interview in person. During the interview, I was required to create a writing sample in seven minutes on any topic of my choice. I was also asked to show where in several lines of code (Ruby) the mistakes were and to correct them. Another interviewer asked a question about how I would rank certain problems as presented by email volume and why. After challenging my answer, the interviewer asked to describe my thinking behind my answer.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Interview process was about 4 weeks, from application to offer. Initially spoke with a recruiter via phone. Was given a written project, returned it in two days, then was called by someone on my future team for a chat after a couple weeks. They then brought me in for 5 in-person interviews, including some technical, a coffee walk, and a chat with one of the founders. (It's a long day if you're not used to it.) I heard from them within a few days after that with an offer, and accepted shortly after.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Account Support Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe in January 2015.

Interview

An initial email to schedule an interview, which got pushed back because she forgot she had an internal meeting (warning sign!) and then finally had the meeting. The female interviewer had lots of scripted questions about my background and about why I wanted to work at Stripe. I answered everything perfectly (I knew all of the questions before hand from another Stripe applicant that got the same position and made it all the way through) and was told I would have a decision by midday of the following day, but got an email at 8am the next morning (the decision was obviously made the night of the interview) that they "decided not to move forward with me" in regards to the position.

Either I was overqualified, which doesn't fit since they had my resume before they called me, or I lost the job because when asked if I had any questions I asked "What kind of growth or opportunities are available to employees in regards to moving to other areas of the company?", to which she replied "Well we don't like people using Account Support positions as a stepping stone to other roles...." so that's nice that I'm not allowed to ask questions without losing the job because I "might" go to another area of the same company, It's not like they trained me and I left for another company.

In the end I didn't even make it to the "technical writing question" part of the interview to test my skills. I was round-filed because of my possibly desire to work elsewhere in the company "if" I was hired. My advice is when they ask if you have any questions, don't say anything or it could hurt your chances.

Interview Questions

• Q: A customer had a sale/charge but isn't seeing the credit in their dashboard, what could be wrong? (She said: This is a difficult question even for a Stripe support person, I just want you to work through and know your thought process)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Stripe (Portland, OR) in April 2016.

Interview

I've heard of the company before hand. Meet with them at the career fair to get more information about what the job entails and to see if I'd match their company fit. Everything went well! However, the lady who interviewed me over the phone didn't seem like she was interested at all. She gave me more about the job, but it basically seemed like she was just reading off what she needed to say. After she was done talking she showed no interest in even trying to engage in a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Basic resume questions about experience, handling rejection, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Throughout this process I got the sense that Stripe wanted to assess my rapport with various different team members and get multiple people's perspectives on my candidacy.

1) Phone screen -- basic questions about your background and thoughts on the company. One hypothetical problem to respond to.

2) Writing exercise, answering hypothetical questions from users.

3) Phone screen #2, same general territory but slightly longer and with a different person.

4) Onsite interview with various members of User Ops (none of the ones I'd talked to earlier or corresponded with). This consisted of a) informal lunch, b) general interview, c) simple debugging exercise, d) timed writing exercise, and e) interview with the head of North American User Ops.

My impressions: You need to be friendly and good at communicating (always true but especially so), have a logical mind, and preferably know some code beforehand. Just a little bit.

Interview Questions

• If you were a past manager, what critiques would you have for yourself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

The first step of the interview process is a phone screen. After the phone screen, you receive an email with written questions. The last step would be an in-person interview.

The phone screen had very generic questions. The recruiter was very friendly and easygoing; I love hearing an occasional friendly laugh on the other side of the line. This step was not intimidating at all.

From what I know about other applicants, Stripe is looking for very specific qualities in their User Operations applicants. From the broad questions; it seems very difficult to pin-point what exact qualities they are looking for. If you get the position, you know it'll be the right fit!

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Stripe?   Answer Question
    • What is something you like/expect from a work environment? What is something you dislike?   Answer Question
    • Roleplay/Scenario: "Hi Stripe - I made a sale and the transaction does not show on my dashboard. Help!"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

There were two initial phone interviews, then a written assignment, and then an on-site interview with a number of people on the team and in the company, that lasted about three hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe (Portland, OR) in June 2014.

Interview

I received an email in response to my resume submission / writing sample the day after I sent it in. They requested a phone call to learn more about my background and answer any questions from another member of the support staff, not one of their recruiters. He said it was the first step of a 2-4 step process and that they'd send me an email when they reached a decision on me, one way or the other. We spoke for about a half hour and I received an email a few days later saying they were not interested in moving forward with me as a candidate, though they were very friendly, connected with me on LinkedIn and asked to know where I ended up in my job search.

Interview Questions

• They posited a support ticket they received that was really vague, and it was difficult for me to know how to reveal my thought process while trying to answer in a quasi-generic way. The support ticket said "My website shows a sale has been processed, but it's not showing up in my dashboard."   4 Answers