Stripe Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Engineering Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mercer Island, WA

Interview

The whole process is terrible. No one contacted me to understand my background, then receive an email for mentioning I am disqualified.
Few previous colleagues mentioned to me, the people/culture doesn’t look good in there. Not worth to try.

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Initial chat with the Recruiter.
    Phone discussion with the HM around fitment and opportunity.
    On-site 'mini' screen with three EMs.
    Six rounds of interviews onsite in San Francisco.
    Received an offer after providing references.

Interview Questions

• Most were fairly standard managerial questions around People/Project management, supporting teams through growth, organizational structure, etc. Stripe focuses on understanding what you specifically did, so there will be multiple follow-up questions.

The role-play interview rounds were interesting. Though I was a bit apprehensive going into the interviews, the overall experience was fairly positive as the interviewers actively work with you instead of judging passively.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Technical Phone interview and then mini onsite. The moment i arrived for the onsite. The feeling was bad because the onsite interviewer just did not bother to come to greet meet me until it was 1 min left for the actual interview.

Not only that, he had no apology for the delay. The entire office has no diversity. All you see is people of same color.

This is extremely bad. I realized that for a person of color, this place will be a uphill battle and boy i was right.

Even though the interviewers "Verbally" mentioned you did good in the interviews etc. After more than 1 week post mini onsite. I was given a cold email stating that Stripe is not moving forward.

It felt as if Stripe knew they cannot reject me, but instead of bringing me onsite, they waited, if they wanted to find someone else who of their own type and wait.

The company lacks diversity. And feels like an eco chamber.

Interview Questions

• 1. Mobile focused technical questions.
      2. EM philosophy
      3. Onsite how would you build a scalable backend dashboard. (Weirdly expected me to know everything on backend , which i did answer, but others wont)
      4. Conflict resolution.
      eetc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

Recruiter call followed by mini onsite with 3 Engineering Managers. The first 2 people seemed reasonable but 3rd interview was very awkward. I was asked same questions multiple times. The interviewer had a very unfriendly way of asking questions. I felt like I had committed a crime and was being investigated.

It's worth mentioning that when I looked around the office, I realized there was no diversity. I saw diversity just at the front desk, everywhere else in the office it was mainly white population. I did see quite a few women in the office but they were all white too. It was very surprising to see no diversity at all at the heart of silicon valley and I wonder if my experience would have been different if I was a white candidate.

Interview Questions

• Typical management/behavioral questions: How do you manage priorities, why management, what is your management style etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Stripe has a many staged interview process.

There's a phone screen with HR, a 3 hour mini onsite ( at least if you're in seattle ), and then a 6 hour onsite at HQ ( SFO ). Presumably there may be more interviews behind that onsite if you make it beyond that stage ( which I did not ).

The interviews are pretty interesting and challenging.

The Mini-Onsite was mostly social interviewing like Tell Me About A Time When... , Tell Me About A Challenge..., etc.

Stripe did endeavor to prepare me ahead of time for the onsites by providing information via email, and a prep phone call. I suspect that I must have appeared as an interrupt to the person that I spoke to for the prep phone call, as I got the impression that their primary objective was to get off the phone as quickly as possible.

The Onsite interview at HQ was much more formally structured than the mini-onsite. There was a presentation section, a design section, and a few role plays.

Be Prepared to get very few minutes for your own questions to be answered. Nearly all of the interviews ran right up to the time allotted for them.

The thing that was negative about the interview process for me was communication outside of the in-person interviews. Stripe never got back to me on the days that they said that they would ( for the mini-onsite nor the onsite ). I do not know if this is common or not, but I found it disappointing and a source of significant stress.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a difficult situation that you've handled as a manager.   Answer Question
    • Describe a system that ingests a putmetric-with-value API call   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Call with recruiter followed by a mini on-site (w/ 2 folks) and a full day on-site with multiple rounds.

Technical discussion (panel)
    Role play interviews (x 2)
    Scaling teams
    Managing performance
    Past experiences

The process was pretty fast and was well organized. The feedback was fast as well.

Interview Questions

• Traditional questions around management: coaching, mentoring, performance, roadmap and execution

2 roleplay interviews that were odd. IMHO, role play interviews for engineering managers are not the best way to assess a candidate.

Stripe might be able to get signals out of this but it is not the standard and does not give the candidate the opportunity to be their best and showcase their strengths.

If I wanted to do improv, I wouldn't be applying to Stripe.   1 Answer

Engineering Manager Interview

Interview

Applied online, got a very enthusiastic follow up from one engineer, but was handed over to the CTO to schedule an interview. Rather than schedule an interview the CTO sent me a "we're not interested email."

Further investigation revealed the CTOs twitter is very highly political (and not in favor of human rights), and so it became clear the CTO looked at my twitter (which is in favor of human rights) which was requested during the application process.

So, I was passed for political reasons.

Interview Questions

• Demanding ideological purity.   1 Answer

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in August 2019.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter for Engineering Manager role in Dublin.
    Was sent the job spec and refused role as appeared too junior for me.
    Recruiter came back and clarified title Engineering manager covers roles from engineering manager up to director level etc

Proceeded with skype screener based on this clarification. On day of interview it got bumped to 10 days later.
    Interviewer was not clear if he was hiring manager or just covering the role for someone else.

7 days later recruiter tells me I'm to proceed to next interviews onsite 20 days later.
    This consisted of 4 interviews, 2 behavioural, one role playing and a peer interview.
    Interviews were pretty straightforward. Behavioural guys seemed to be under time pressure to get all questions asked and some answer recorded.
    It was only at the end was I told that if I passed these interviews I'd need to come back for 5 more. WTF

10 days later I heard I'd be proceeding to next set of onsite interviews. 6 interviews set for 20 days later.
    2 behavioural, 2 technical (1 tech presentation), 1 role play and 1 peer interview.
    BTW I was only told less than 24 hours before interview on a Sunday, that I had to prepare a tech presentation for interview.... not sure if this was done on purpose or just an incompetent recruiter.
    2 behavioural interviewers were very time pressured to get down any answer. Some questions were ambiguous and they would not clarify when asked. Such as growing teams; I've done that from a team lead point of view but also as a manager of managers.... Response was oh just give me any situation you feel is suitable.
    Tech interviews were fairly straightforward. One is a presentation on your own architecture and other is "how would you solve/build" a particular issue or piece of functionality.
    The role playing for non performing employee was odd. I had a junior guy roleplaying the employee. The paragraph you are given is ambiguous. This roleplay involved finding out how the engineering teams worked and their processes before you could resolve the issue. However, the junior engineer led me down an incorrect path about how the Stripe engineering teams operated. I did get the issue resolved adequately despite this. No analysis after role playing interview as to why you acted as you did. To me this is as important as the interview itself.

It took them 9 days to get back to me and I got a standard email rejection with no information.
    I had to call the recruiter to get any information from them. He was very hazy with nothing concrete. He mentioned something about the role playing interview and was not exactly what they had wanted. When asked what they expected it was almost identical to how I had done it. Appears role playing guy had told them a different account of the interview.....
    BTW turned out the job was too junior for me and I believe this was the main reason for rejection as I had said it too the recruiter after final interview.

When the recruiter says there is no right or wrong answer that is not what they mean. There are definitely wrong answers. Just be aware.
    For role play, listen to all sides, ask questions, focus is always on putting customer first and hitting dates, even before tech improvements. Also for non performing employees focus on getting them to work on one task with only one person directing, no matter how/where the other person directs it.

It also seemed like they were making up the interview process as they went. I was interviewed by so many people that when a cleaner walked into the interview room I was expecting to be interviewed by them. It took them 2.5 months from start to end for this process.

Another thing that bothered me. They only use mac books and apple products. When I asked why I was told it came from the 2 founders (fanboys) that Apple products were safer than any alternative so no other products could be used.... Must have done a search on safari for that answer.....
    Also everyone was constantly wearing Stripe t-shirts.... seem to be almost cultish. "The cult of stripe".

Over all my experience was bad with them. It was too long and drawn out and disorganised. Most people seemed very friendly if not a bit odd. They seem to mainly hire from LinkedIn, google, amazon etc. They are a tier 2 company desperately trying to be a tier 1 one. Maybe one day Stripe....

Interview Questions

• Role play: new employee not meeting the standard. Two engineers fighting over adding new functionality vs hitting customer date.   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied via website. Stripe made contact within 24 hours. Had phone screening with recruiter within a few days and an onsite interviews with 3 people the following week. The interviewers were very likeable and the conversation flowed well for the most part. The role requires the candidates to have both technical and managerial qualities, however this stage seems to be more about your management competencies. I felt afterwards that they were looking for strong examples of managerial experience dealing with conflict, coaching high performers, and difficult decision making, so make sure your answers bring out these experiences more so than your technical experience managing projects.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you go about recruiting for a key role?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is required to make a good manager? Later was asked about what advice I would give to a new manager.   Answer Question
    • In your opinion what is the biggest design flaw with X technology? (substitute X with one of your technical skill areas)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the biggest challenges you experienced during your time as a manager?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from that?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with an underperforming employee?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time you had to deal with conflict while in a position of authority?   Answer Question