Stripe Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Engineering Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

3.2

Engineering Manager Interview

Interview

Applied online, got a very enthusiastic follow up from one engineer, but was handed over to the CTO to schedule an interview. Rather than schedule an interview the CTO sent me a "we're not interested email."

Further investigation revealed the CTOs twitter is very highly political (and not in favor of human rights), and so it became clear the CTO looked at my twitter (which is in favor of human rights) which was requested during the application process.

So, I was passed for political reasons.

Interview Questions

• Demanding ideological purity.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

Call with recruiter followed by a mini on-site (w/ 2 folks) and a full day on-site with multiple rounds.

Technical discussion (panel)
    Role play interviews (x 2)
    Scaling teams
    Managing performance
    Past experiences

The process was pretty fast and was well organized. The feedback was fast as well.

Interview Questions

• Traditional questions around management: coaching, mentoring, performance, roadmap and execution

2 roleplay interviews that were odd. IMHO, role play interviews for engineering managers are not the best way to assess a candidate.

Stripe might be able to get signals out of this but it is not the standard and does not give the candidate the opportunity to be their best and showcase their strengths.

If I wanted to do improv, I wouldn't be applying to Stripe.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

Recruiter call followed by mini onsite with 3 Engineering Managers. The first 2 people seemed reasonable but 3rd interview was very awkward. I was asked same questions multiple times. The interviewer had a very unfriendly way of asking questions. I felt like I had committed a crime and was being investigated.

It's worth mentioning that when I looked around the office, I realized there was no diversity. I saw diversity just at the front desk, everywhere else in the office it was mainly white population. I did see quite a few women in the office but they were all white too. It was very surprising to see no diversity at all at the heart of silicon valley and I wonder if my experience would have been different if I was a white candidate.

Interview Questions

• Typical management/behavioral questions: How do you manage priorities, why management, what is your management style etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Stripe has a many staged interview process.

There's a phone screen with HR, a 3 hour mini onsite ( at least if you're in seattle ), and then a 6 hour onsite at HQ ( SFO ). Presumably there may be more interviews behind that onsite if you make it beyond that stage ( which I did not ).

The interviews are pretty interesting and challenging.

The Mini-Onsite was mostly social interviewing like Tell Me About A Time When... , Tell Me About A Challenge..., etc.

Stripe did endeavor to prepare me ahead of time for the onsites by providing information via email, and a prep phone call. I suspect that I must have appeared as an interrupt to the person that I spoke to for the prep phone call, as I got the impression that their primary objective was to get off the phone as quickly as possible.

The Onsite interview at HQ was much more formally structured than the mini-onsite. There was a presentation section, a design section, and a few role plays.

Be Prepared to get very few minutes for your own questions to be answered. Nearly all of the interviews ran right up to the time allotted for them.

The thing that was negative about the interview process for me was communication outside of the in-person interviews. Stripe never got back to me on the days that they said that they would ( for the mini-onsite nor the onsite ). I do not know if this is common or not, but I found it disappointing and a source of significant stress.

Interview Questions

• Describe a system that ingests a putmetric-with-value API call   Answer Question
    • tell me about a difficult situation that you've handled as a manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

Initial chat with the Recruiter.
    Phone discussion with the HM around fitment and opportunity.
    On-site 'mini' screen with three EMs.
    Six rounds of interviews onsite in San Francisco.
    Received an offer after providing references.

Interview Questions

• Most were fairly standard managerial questions around People/Project management, supporting teams through growth, organizational structure, etc. Stripe focuses on understanding what you specifically did, so there will be multiple follow-up questions.

The role-play interview rounds were interesting. Though I was a bit apprehensive going into the interviews, the overall experience was fairly positive as the interviewers actively work with you instead of judging passively.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Technical Phone interview and then mini onsite. The moment i arrived for the onsite. The feeling was bad because the onsite interviewer just did not bother to come to greet meet me until it was 1 min left for the actual interview.

Not only that, he had no apology for the delay. The entire office has no diversity. All you see is people of same color.

This is extremely bad. I realized that for a person of color, this place will be a uphill battle and boy i was right.

Even though the interviewers "Verbally" mentioned you did good in the interviews etc. After more than 1 week post mini onsite. I was given a cold email stating that Stripe is not moving forward.

It felt as if Stripe knew they cannot reject me, but instead of bringing me onsite, they waited, if they wanted to find someone else who of their own type and wait.

The company lacks diversity. And feels like an eco chamber.

Interview Questions

• 1. Mobile focused technical questions.
      2. EM philosophy
      3. Onsite how would you build a scalable backend dashboard. (Weirdly expected me to know everything on backend , which i did answer, but others wont)
      4. Conflict resolution.
      eetc   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied via website. Stripe made contact within 24 hours. Had phone screening with recruiter within a few days and an onsite interviews with 3 people the following week. The interviewers were very likeable and the conversation flowed well for the most part. The role requires the candidates to have both technical and managerial qualities, however this stage seems to be more about your management competencies. I felt afterwards that they were looking for strong examples of managerial experience dealing with conflict, coaching high performers, and difficult decision making, so make sure your answers bring out these experiences more so than your technical experience managing projects.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you had to deal with conflict while in a position of authority?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time when you had to deal with an underperforming employee?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision?   1 Answer
    • Tell me a time you made a bad decision, and what did you learn from that?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the biggest challenges you experienced during your time as a manager?   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you go about recruiting for a key role?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is required to make a good manager? Later was asked about what advice I would give to a new manager.   Answer Question
    • In your opinion what is the biggest design flaw with X technology? (substitute X with one of your technical skill areas)   Answer Question