Stripe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

Product Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe in December 2018.

Interview

30 mins screening phone call interview with the recruiter, just basic questions regarding interest for the role and previous experience. Slightly longer phone call interview with someone else in the company, discussing further previous experience and behavioral questions. Written responses are the next round. Followed by the final round of a 4 hour interview panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you encountered bad service from a company. What would you have done differently.   1 Answer

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Initial call, take-home coding interview, phone call to review work. Their recruiter never returned my three emails asking whether I was considered for the next round.

It is okay if I did not make it, but I would expect to be treated humanely and acknowledged for my time on the 16 hour take-home project.

Interview Questions

• Initial call, take-home coding interview, phone call to review work.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe in November 2018.

Interview

There are five rounds of interviews with a take home project and technical phone screens. The onsite interview consists of 6 back to back interviews, each for 45 minutes long. Team members are very friendly and easy to talk with. It is worth to note that the recruiting team is quite unprofessional with delayed email responses and scheduling onsite interviews at very last minute. There seems to be an expectation of candidates being very flexible / accommodating to Stripe's interview timeline.

Interview Questions

• Can you share a project experience on how you collaborate with others?   1 Answer
    • Standard SQL and communication questions.   1 Answer

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2018.

Interview

Stripe has a many staged interview process.

There's a phone screen with HR, a 3 hour mini onsite ( at least if you're in seattle ), and then a 6 hour onsite at HQ ( SFO ). Presumably there may be more interviews behind that onsite if you make it beyond that stage ( which I did not ).

The interviews are pretty interesting and challenging.

The Mini-Onsite was mostly social interviewing like Tell Me About A Time When... , Tell Me About A Challenge..., etc.

Stripe did endeavor to prepare me ahead of time for the onsites by providing information via email, and a prep phone call. I suspect that I must have appeared as an interrupt to the person that I spoke to for the prep phone call, as I got the impression that their primary objective was to get off the phone as quickly as possible.

The Onsite interview at HQ was much more formally structured than the mini-onsite. There was a presentation section, a design section, and a few role plays.

Be Prepared to get very few minutes for your own questions to be answered. Nearly all of the interviews ran right up to the time allotted for them.

The thing that was negative about the interview process for me was communication outside of the in-person interviews. Stripe never got back to me on the days that they said that they would ( for the mini-onsite nor the onsite ). I do not know if this is common or not, but I found it disappointing and a source of significant stress.

Interview Questions

• Describe a system that ingests a putmetric-with-value API call   Answer Question
    • tell me about a difficult situation that you've handled as a manager.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Do not call yourself a fair interviewing panel, if you ASSUME people are going to look at glassdoor for your interview question and prepare for it. Change your question to be ACTUALLY a FAIR and JUST company to hire a potential engineer. If you're going to be tossing the coin and assuming someone saw the question and prepared, that's the heights of unfairness and biased interview and people operations panel ever seen. Either don't call yourself unbiased or least change questions instead of rejecting someone without any base. Many engineers can have the same thought process and also could have quick grasping power. Most prejudiced company ever.

Interview Questions

• Lol, Let me not do that. They've probably just one question and if it leaks, they'll be just randomizing the people they want to reject.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1 recruiter call, 1 phone screen then onsite.

The process is very disorganized and chaotic, i had to interview twice for phone screen, apparently they regretted failing me first and gave me another chance so i passed.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

Got a hackerrank about 2 weeks after applying. It was an API design question but you didn't actually use HTTP.

Heard back in a few days for a phone interview. The interview started as a very simple question, and then had you build more features onto the simple function that you built. I heard back later that day about scheduling an onsite.

About 4 weeks later, I had the onsite. We got lunch with the other candidates and some recent grads at Stripe. There were 4 interviews in the onsite:

1. "Integration interview" where you use an HTTP library to implement some HTTP request testing
    2. Debugging interview where you are given a GitHub issue on a popular library in the language of your choosing and try to debug it.
    3. Behvioral interview where you discuss your previous experience with a manager
    4. Design interview where you implement a solution to a question using programming design principles (OOD, functional programming, whatever you choose

This was definitely one of the best interview processes I've had. I really felt like it reflected my actual skills. I ended up accepting another offer, but this process definitely made me want to come back to Stripe in the future.

Interview Questions

• Fix a bug in a popular python library   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

I applied online and submitted a cover letter. Shortly after I received an email from a recruiter interested in setting up a phone interview. I submitted my availability and a few days later my interview was confirmed for the following week. I did my phone interview on my lunch at work and the recruiter was 7 minutes late calling me, which wasted time I could have spent eating. I proceeded with the phone interview in which the recruiter asking me prepared questions and gave short robotic scripted responses to everything I said. At the end of the interview she explained I would be getting a writing assignment due end of day a few days later and gave me tips on how to do well. After almost 2 days of not receiving the assignment, I emailed the recruiter with which I was responded with sorry, we aren’t actually moving forward with your candidacy. Don’t lie to people and waste their time. Be on time. Communicate. Recruiting is the initial face of the company, don’t show an ugly one. Overall, I wouldn’t recommend the company based on the unprofessional experience I had compared to other large tech companies I have interviewed with. Also, just based on my personal opinion from what I have read and experienced, Stripe seems to purposefully make their interview process extremely long and laborious to make themselves seem elite. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Why Stripe, Why RC, *insert additional unoriginal questions*   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe in October 2018.

Interview

I was found on linked in by one of their recruiters asking if I would be interested in talking.

When my caller was 10 minutes late during our scheduled time I emailed my original contact asking if we were still on or if we needed to reschedule. The recruiter finally did call and we chatted for 20 minutes and said she would follow up later with next steps.

At the end of the day I got an email from my original contact saying she was sorry the recruiter missed our call, she was dealing with a fire and can we reschedule? (What? We ended up talking. Why lie about putting out a fire. Did they communicate at all?)

Next I got an email at 9pm on a Sunday asking to schedule my next interview. This is a huge red flag as work/life balance is important to a candidate.

I scheduled the call anyway and spoke with the hiring manager. We had a horrible phone connection which can change the tone of a call to the negative but otherwise I thought it went ok.

I got an email later that day saying they would not move forward.

All in all, I was very excited about the opportunity as first but I don't think it's the place for me. They are obviously busy and short staffed so I hope they find what they are looking for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a project you worked on that failed.   1 Answer

Business Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through linkedin. I had to postpone the the interview for 2 weeks since I was on a business trip to Europe and he has to re-schedule it for a couple more times for various of issues from both sides but overall process was smooth, transparent and better than other companies. The recruiter called me on time and described me the position briefly then asked about my past experience. Since Business Operations is different in each company the interview is mostly about the position itself.