Stripe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Technical phone screen involving a couple of simple technical questions, then 5 interviews at the Stripe office: three coding, one design, and one with manager

The bug squash interview became derailed because running the full test suite failed for reasons unrelated to the code containing the bug. We spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out why the test suite crashed with one implementation of the bug fix when it took less than 10 minutes to actually fix the bug-that time is better spent moving on to another bug

My only other issue with the process is that I did not feel like I received any real feedback about my performance throughout the interview. I encourage the interviewers at Stripe to give honest feedback at the end of each technical interview, or for HR to collect feedback from the technical interviews to give to the candidate during the evaluation. When a candidate is able to produce solutions for all the coding questions, it's important to let them know where they could have improved so that they feel they've been given due consideration for their time

Interview Questions

• Design an API for tracking events in different clients   Answer Question
    • Fix a bug in Backbone   Answer Question
    • Write the code to replay a list of HTTP requests from a file represented as JSON   8 Answers
    • Write a map implementation with a get function that lets you retrieve the value of a key at a particular time   Answer Question
    • What parts of the development process don't you like doing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Use my github post to see the question and the solution. They are asking the same questions from everyone.
    Chat with recruiter, then phone interview, and then on site.

I had 3 interviews, answered all the technical question (I got the code to work properly), and then after the 3rd one they said they don't want to continue! I had a feeling that one of the interviewers had personal issues, he walked in very frustrated and was like that the entire time.

Interview Questions

• Write the code to replay a list of HTTP requests from a file represented as JSON   3 Answers
    • Design an API for tracking events in different clients   1 Answer
    • Write a map implementation with a get function that lets you retrieve the value of a key at a particular time.
      t:0 A =1
      t:2 A = 2
      get(A, t:1) -> 1
      get(A, t:3) -> 2   5 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I have background in enterprise software companies with C/C++ so I was glad to receive a call from recruiter after I applied online at Stripe.

Phone screen was straightforward coding question.

Onsite consisted of couple of coding questions, debugging and design interview followed by interview with hiring manager. For coding interviews, actual code on machine is required and no whiteboard solution.

Questions were not tough however expectation was that code is complete and working within 45 mins.

I'm most comfortable with C++ but using statically typed language during coding interview v/s using dynamically typed language like Python or Ruby turned out to be a huge disadvantage for me.

I felt I got most of the questions 90% but couldn't complete the solution either due to some compilation issue or understanding new C++ library to be used to the solve the problem.

Interviewers were pleasant and overall I felt welcome.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Really great interview process. The first step of it was an initial interview done over Skype with an engineer from Stripe. Instead of using a code collaboration site I shared my screen and was allowed to work in an environment I was familiar with.

Next, Stripe flew me to their office for an onsite. My day went as follows:
    1. Pair programming interview - I was given a problem and we worked together on implementing a solution to it
    2. Bug hunt - I worked with my interviewer to track down the cause of an fix a bug in an open source project (they made sure the open source project was in a language I was comfortable in)
    3. Lunch - The food was delicious and I had the chance to chat with a lot of people about working there.
    4. System design - I was given a problem and we worked toward designing a system to solve it. This was more abstract and didn't involve writing any code.
    5. Implementation - I was given a small project and implemented as much of it as I could in an hour.
    6. Chat with a manger - This was a great time for me to ask questions and learn more about the management and structure of Stripe.

Overall, this has been the best interview process I have seen. The entire time I used my own computer so I was working in a familiar environment. It also never felt like a Q&A with the interviewers. Instead, it felt like I was working with them to solve the problems.

Interview Questions

• I was given an issue filed for an Open Source project in a language of my choosing and we worked to find the cause of the issue and implement a solution to it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

As mentioned by others, the standard interview process was mentioned. The pair programming was a complete failure since the interviewers basically had no idea about what a pair programming was all about. The question was pretty standard but the interviewers didn't mention what they were looking for and I doubt they evaluated in any standard way. They most certainly do require you to remember all the functions that you might need to use including a reverse string function with full parameters (what the.. h...?) or have an ide which helps you with this but not a text editor.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I quitted the interview after the coding round during onsite :)

I never had experience with github and json before, so the coding was a mess from the beginning:
    - the java version in my eclipse is not compatible with the maven project;
    - I have to read Gson doc to understand how Gson works.... (OK, Gson interface is not that intuitive to me)

after 45 minutes, I only have the code to read the json file into an array of objects... I decided to say bye after this round. I highly recommend to getting familiar with Gson before interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Typical San Francisco startup fare: a Skype screening with a bit of coding, and a half a day at the office, with 5 sets of interviewers: Three involved actual programming on my own computer, one was white boarding, and the last one a manager interview. There's no clear indication of what each interviewer is really looking for though.

Interview Questions

• Fixing a bug in a large codebase I had never seen. It's probably pretty tough for inexperienced developers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Stripe in August 2017.

Interview

I was submitted via internal referral. Had a pleasant chat with the recruiter, talking about Stripe and my career, as well as potential roles. Was then dismissed, with no explanation given. Given that I was an internal referral, this is particularly frustrating and disrespectful on the part of Stripe - do not waste your time.

Interview Questions

• Describe your career so far. General discovery questions.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

The interviewer didn't say anything when I was explaining about my algorithm. He didn't provide any feedback through the interview. And I think it is very stupid to always ask one question. I don't really understand what they are looking for.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Stripe has some very nice people, which for I wasn't able to find in many other places. My phone interviewer was a senior engineer. They were extremely friendly and kind even though I had some technical difficulties setting up Hangout at first, and later had some issues with my runtime stuff on my laptop.

They brought me onsite a few weeks later. There were 4 interviews + lunch. I liked that for coding questions, you get to work on your own IDE and can google things like apis for libraries. The first interview felt a lot like a normal engineering task rather than a typical problem solving question, which was neat, because I felt like it was closer to reality. The second one was debugging an open source code base. I didn't do well in that one because I wasn't that familiar with the particular subject matter. Also, I felt like the interviewer wasn't as helpful as they could have been but I could be biased. The third interview was the weirdest. It was actually the easiest of all interviews - a straightforward problem solving coding question. The interviewer seemed very detached from the beginning and barely said anything during the whole interview. Unfortunately, I misunderstood the problem statement, and even though I communicated my interpretation of it upfront and asked for confirmation to proceed, the interviewer said sure and didn't catch it until half way into the interview. I had to re-write most of the code because of that. I did finish the coding part and some testing in the time left, but the interviewer didn't seem impressed or happy, just total detachment and a fake and forced politeness. The fourth one was a design question. The question was interesting and the person was nice and it went well.

I got a rejection a day later, and the recruiter (who was very nice) was able to give me some feedback after I asked for it, which was nice. In general the feedback aligned with my suspicion.

Overall nice people and positive experience, except for the one interviewer who didn't really do their job.

Interview Questions

• Not your typical hard problem solving. No need to do extra preparation other than be familiar with the tools you use everyday.   1 Answer