Stripe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Stripe Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had one remote skype around, then a half-day of on-sites. I really enjoyed my remote round.

My on-site experience was not pleasant. Some of my interviewers had their minds elsewhere, pushing code while I was talking or whatnot. Moreover, none of my interviewers knew my schedule for the day, and I found out that I had no breaks scheduled during my 4 hours at the company. Thus, it was impossible to take any breaks without reducing my time in the current interview, or pushing back/delay an unknown number of subsequent interviews. I left the office at 1:45 pm, without being fed lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I setup a phone screen for a software engineer interview. The interviewer called me and gave me a question to write the algorithm in java. The question was along the lines of allocating and deallocating the id of an api host. Since the interviewer generally said "that looks reasonable" when I was writing code I thought I was along the right path. Although the recruiter said she will get back to me in a day or two. I didn't hear back until I pinged them. Their response was they don't want to move forward. I understand that companies like these get lot of applications but I was expecting them to respond along those lines if I had messed up the interview. It felt like they wasted my time and based on the interview feedback lacked transparency and probably not the company that I would work for.

Interview Questions

• The question was along the lines of allocating and deallocating the id of an api host. Allocation happens when the server comes online and deallocation happens when the server goes offline or crashes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The on-site interview included collaborative, white-board architectural systems design, live debugging of a code base, from scratch programming of integration tests, and interpersonal/team questions. All interviewers were competent, prepared, and helpful. One interview had a shadow participant that observed.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to find the source of a failing test and devise a fix in a popular open source library. The bug was a subtle one, and the fix was non-obvious and allowed for multiple approaches.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

My interview process with Stripe consisted of a recruiter phone call, one technical phone screen, and a day of onsite interviews consisting of 5 interviews, 4 of which were technical.

I quite liked Stripe's interview formats. It was unique amongst the companies I interviewed with, with cool interview formats like an "integration interview", where you're asked to add functionality to an existing codebase, or "bug squash", where you seek out a bug in an open source repository.

I felt that these interview formats were innovative, and in theory very cool. In practice I was a bit less impressed, and I gained further appreciation for how hard it is for companies to construct good interview processes. While the interview formats made a lot of sense, my interviewers themselves did not execute on them particularly well. Very few offered any kind of feedback or guidance throughout the interview, mostly opting to sit in silence as I spoke out loud to them.

I'm not sure about you, but my process for adding a feature to an existing project or finding a bug isn't to sit there and talk out loud to nobody for an hour straight. This made the interviews awkward and unnatural. I felt I couldn't provide the signals they were looking for due to that, despite the fact that I'm very confident I could accomplish those tasks in a more natural environment.

At the end of the interviews, the interviewers would open it up to conversation and ask more broad questions about myself, and gave me the opportunity to ask question about the and Stripe. Those conversations were usually fine. I never got the impression that the interviewers really LIKED working at Stripe. They never brought any enthusiasm when discussing their roles and experiences. I acknowledge that they might feel that way and just be poor at expressing it, or are tired of doing so from being forced to interview candidates when they have stuff to do. Either way, I'm not sure that's a great sign.

One interview in particular, the one with my would-be-manager, left me with a sour taste in my mouth. He came off as impatient, dismissive, and arrogant. Almost as if he decided he wouldn't me on his team before even walking into the room. Or maybe he just relishes in the power dynamic interviews (and being a manager) provide for him.

Overall, I just felt that Stripe was really really average. I didn't strongly dislike it, but I didn't really have any positive feelings for it either. Their engineers seemed to be of average quality, with some impressing me and others definitely not. They didn't seem to hate working at Stripe, but didn't seem to love it either. From what I learned about their technical stack, nothing they're doing is particularly innovative or advanced. It seems like they still advocate for some antiquated architecture decisions that the industry as a whole has moved past already.

That being said, their office space is pretty cool, and their food is FANTASTIC.

By the end of the day, I was pretty exhausted from the interviews and lack of energy I had experienced from the people I had worked with throughout the day. As a result I performed terribly in my last interview (I just wanted to go home at that point, as I already had more exciting offers available), and unsurprisingly was not offered a role.

I think Stripe is worth checking out. You might have a better experience I did. At the very least it serves as a decent backup option if you can get the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Summary of the entire process:

- Initial chat with the recruiter
    - Follow up with the recruiter
    - Technical phone interview
    - Onsite interview (Did not make it here)

I contacted a Stripe recruiter and we set up a time to chat about all the different roles available at the company. Our time ran over a bit, so we had a follow up to make sure all questions were answered and I fully understood the roles. They did a great job with scheduling and follow-up. The recruiter I spoke with was very friendly and did a great job explaining the positions to me.

Next, I had a technical phone screen with an engineer on the team I was applying for. It was an hour long, with some time in the beginning to explain the question and some time at the end for questions. I was able to use my own environment and share my screen via a Zoom call. The question was about allocating and deallocating servers, as mentioned in other reviews. It wasn't too difficult - it was more about seeing your thought process. You were able to reference Google or documentation if needed. It was a breath of fresh air versus cramming to memorize some data structures and algorithms you might not use on the day to day.

I thought I did extremely well but unfortunately, I didn't make it to the onsite.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I felt offended by lack of professionalism when it came to providing feedback on my interviews.

Stripe reached out to me to do an interview with them for a Software Engineering role. I did the phone interview and then. they invited me for a full day onsite interview. During the onsite interview I felt the company is very cultish and as a minority I would feel alien working there. I liked format of the interviews because they were more close to real world problems.

A week after my onsite interview I got an email that was sent by their application tracking system telling me I was rejected.

I spent a whole day interviewing but Stripe didn't bother to make a phone call or write me an email about my interview result. This is somewhat offending to me and is telling about how this company treats people.

Interview Questions

• Write a stateful HTTP client for Stripe API using your favorite framework in your favorite language.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

My experience interviewing at Stripe has surpassed every other company by a wide margin. Every person I spoke and met with was nice, smart, and professional. The recruiters give you just the right amount of preparation material about what the next steps are. Along every step, the recruiters are mindful and respectful of your timing and needs. The entire process consisted of:

1. Recruiter phone screen: 30-minute chat about work experience, what you're looking for, which areas of Stripe you're interested in working on, etc.

2. Technical phone screen: 1-hour coding session to solve a 2-part problem (second part builds on top of the first part) over a video call where you share your screen with an engineer.

3. Recruiter follow up: 30-minute chat about feedback from the phone screen, and if it was positive, an overview of the onsite interviews. The recruiter also talked about a few teams that might be a good match, and you can tell them which one you'd like to interview for. During the onsite, you'll meet with the engineering manager from that team.

4. Onsite: a full day of interviews on 1) building a script/tool that solves a particular problem, 2) creating an UI that handles user input, 3) fixing a bug in a large, unknown codebase (in a language of your choice), 4) solving a coding problem similar in difficulty to the phone screen exercise, and 5) behavioral/cultural interview with an engineering manager. You'll also have lunch (the food is very delicious and healthy) with an engineer, as well as 15-minute chat with your recruiter.

For both the phone screen and onsite, the technical interviews consisted of working on problems that you may actually face as a Stripe engineer. You won't be asked to solve esoteric questions that appear on CS midterms (space & time complexity, red-black trees, bit manipulation, etc). Instead, the exercises mirror real-life situations, and you should solve them as such--using docs and StackOverflow, asking clarifying questions, writing tests, and debugging in a REPL as you go. Before you come onsite, you can even setup some boilerplate code so that you don’t waste precious interview time on setting up a project from scratch. Make sure you communicate clearly, ask the right questions, address edge cases, display good coding intuition, and write correct & readable code.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Had a phone call with a recruiter to discuss the interview process, potential teams etc.

Next had a technical phone screen. got to use my own IDE/terminal over shared screen which really helped. The onsite was standard, 4 tech interviews and interview with a manager. Overall was extremely impressed with the process and the team compared to other companies.

Interview Questions

• The questions are not difficult in the sense that you have to know crazy esoteric algorithms / "Big O" (they said they didn't really care about the performance characteristics of the solution). However the questions do require writing a decent amount of code, and I think there's a real emphasis on code quality, communication, and general culture fit/behavior.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I applied directly and got an email to pick a date for a call (phone screen). I then had a pleasant conversation with the recruiter, she seemed genuinely impressed with what I had done so far and we had a fairly long discussion regarding stripe, the team etc. The recruiter then said she would have to sync with her team (dev team ?) and that she would get back to me the next day regarding next steps.
     I received an email the next day saying they decided to not go ahead with my application because my skills and seniority were not a good fit. Both of these could have been deduced from my resume, so it didn't make sense that they invited me for a phone screen and went into details about the interview process if they thought my skills were not a good fit. For what it's worth I had multiple interviews setup that week including some big names and had made it through all of the phone screens without a problem. I would have preferred an honest feedback from them because now it just looks like the recruitment team doesn't know or understand the needs of their engineering team.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

I applied online and they gave me the HackerRank online assessment. Took about 1 hour to finish. Two questions, the first one is a coding question and the second one is to describe your approach when solving this problem. Relatively easy.

Interview Questions

• parse the input API and get account balance information for a user   Answer Question