Stripe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

Integration Engineer Interview

Interview

Recuriter called and spoke for about 30 minutes and after that there has been no feedback. It would be helpful if they could provide the update either positive or negative.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

As a technical interviewer, I don’t care whether your answer is optimal, per se. I care about the signal you’re sending. That is what interviewers should always be about: the signal, not what literally happens.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

When I was reading all this weird feedback from other folks, I was not sure why it’s like that. After going through the process I have realized, either there is not a clear communication of what company want to do with the interview or they are jut doing time pass with the people.

The interviewer will ask you to solve a coding problem which is not very difficult on your favorite choice of editor and favorite coding language. He will tell you multiple times that we want to solve the problem as quickly as possible without worrying about much of the optimization and run it against some tests. After all through the process doing everything what you have been asked for, they will decline saying we don’t want to move ahead with your candidature.

I have been conducting interviews for so many years and appeared at many places, it’s the most surprising experience I have ever seen. I don’t think anyone will mind, if a little bit more information can be provided on why it got declined.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (New York, NY) in September 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter > phone interview with hiring manager > take home challenge/assignment > call to present/discuss assignment > on-site interviews > final phone interview w/Head of Sales

Overall, very thoughtful and purposeful interview process. The candidate experience at Stripe was one of the best I’ve had, leaving me with a strong first impression. My only issue is that with 12 interviews, it was very involved and time consuming. Would love to see the process streamlined going forward, perhaps looking into how to cut down the process by one or two interviews.

My recruiter, Francesca, was fantastic. She moved quickly, was insightful, flexible, great at following up, and very easy to work with throughout the process. She did a great job of setting me up for success, making sure I understood the roles and context of everyone I interviewed with.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Hackerrank -> 1 hour Phone Screen -> 2 back-to-back interviews -> 1 engineering manager interview. I have NOT yet had any decision from them yet. My engineering manager conversational interview will take place tomorrow, and by then I will have more information.

Interview Questions

• toy database, HTTP request/response   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

phone screening> assignment > on-site to meet
    HR and assignment were fantastic. On-site meeting experience was mediocre at best. Baffled by some questions from junior interviewers. For example, there were few asks regarding some random technicalities that most people in the industry just google the way through when in need. So it seems completely a waste of time to test of one's ability to regurgitate obscure facts. It's also quite clear that those questions have little to do with the actual day-to-day tasks/ projects for this specific role. If these technicalities are indeed important to the role, then why not list it out in the job posting?

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

The interview process is lengthy. Through the whole interview process, can feel like the org is pretty bureaucratic. There is micromanagement from the upper leadership and low trust in the front line manager. Would not recommend if you're looking to grow your career.

Backend/API Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

1) Applied with employee referral
    2) Contacted by a recruiter, the recruiter asked a few questions to verify my resume. Told about the company, culture and the teams.
    3) The recruiter sent an invite to fill my availabilities on an online calendar
    4) I received an auto email to that confirms one of the date/times for the phone coding interview
    5) I took the zoom video conference and coderpad coding interview and successfully completed the coding in the given time(including the writing tests). I had more than 25-30 minutes to chat with the interviewer after the solution submitted. I asked a few questions and completed the interview. And the interviewer said that I will be contacted for the next steps in this week by the recruiter
    6) The day after the coding interview, I received an email that says "Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with us. We've had a chance to sync as a team and, unfortunately, we've decided not to move forward with your candidacy"
    7) I asked if there is a mistake or not but no respond received.

The result is negative:
    To be honest, I surprised. If they didn't like my resume, why they moved forward with the phone coding and why they wasted my time and their time.

Interview Questions

• Multiple operations on one dimensional array of hash records. (While writing this review, I still have the active coderpad link but not sharing.)   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (New York, NY) in September 2019.

Interview

Was truly the most over the top, asinine interview process I've ever heard of, let alone been a part of. I had recently left a top tech company after 4 years in an account management role, though not super technical. I was clear with the recruiter regarding my skill level throughout and she said it was fine, AMs come from all different back grounds and I'd be trained. The interview process was 1) intro call with recruiter 2) interview with Lead in SF 3) really long, intense written project 4) call with AM to review written project 5) another call with recruiter to discuss previous interviews 5) 7 hour onsite interview in SF (I live in NY and was mandatory I fly there and spend 2 nights there based on how it was scheduled). Got an email a few days later that they passed with no feedback - the whole process took over 2 months and the interviews on site were ridiculous exercises and role play that had nothing to do with the role. Many interviewers were also pretty condescending and aloof, not caring how much time I'd spent on the opportunity and flew across the country to pursue. Truly outrageous interview process & glad I received no offer - would have turned down based on how terrible of an experience working with Stripe had been up to that point.

Interview Questions

• Had to sell anything I wanted to some one in the room, had to launch Uber verbally in markets that Uber isn't already in and explain my strategy, had to draw diagrams on a white board talking about how stripe should expand in the marketplace, had to answer developer questions even though I was clearly not a developer, had to talk about times I disagreed with management, had to share a story about my favorite client and why, had to talk about my favorite app and features I'd changel, etc   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I'm a positive person but it was hard to be in this interview process. I usually recommend companies for interview practice but I recommend skipping Stripe if you're short on time/PTO since their layout doesn't follow other tech companies and the practice isn't fully transferable.

PROS
    1. They will reimburse you for office travel; most companies don't.
    2. I ate a peach here; it was tasty.

I'm racking my brain trying to find more pro's since I see the positive in almost anything, but not here. I will present some cons to be weary about in case you don't see yourself aligning culturally or need to maximize how you spend your time since it's a hot market out there.

CONS
    1. I told the 1st recruiter that I wanted to work remotely. He said that's fine. I then talk to the 2nd recruiter in my location and he/she said you can't if you live in their office's city. Everyone needs to get on the same page.

2. It was almost 2 months between the recruiter call and the onsite. Limited headcount? Either way, this is time consuming if you have other interviews. I had to reach out to the recruiter because he/she ghosted me for about a month after I passed my phone screen.

3. Scatterbrained Interviewers/Recruiters/Process

Sometimes, I received feedback that I'm taking too long to code when I was just taking the 5 minutes to understand the prompt which is common practice and usually mentioned in the Stripe prep guide.

Sometimes, when I asked for what was expected behavior in the code during the coding exercises, I oftentimes received, "Just Google it.", as a response. Sometimes, on the other hand, I received some help. If the interviewers are just going to tell you to google it like "lmgtfy.com", then why are they there? If that's the case, just throw your candidates alone into a room and analyze their results later.

Sometimes they listened, sometimes I had to repeat myself 2-3x as they were distracted by their own laptops and weren't listening.

Recruiter was hard to reach, wasn't pleasant to talk to, and wouldn't respond to any of my questions after the onsite. Maybe they are understaffed, but usually recruiters are the fun people to talk to at other companies.

4. General Culture & Vibe

It's lunchtime. I look around and it feels like I've been transported to SF and my rent just rose by $2k; I look down and I'm wearing a pair of Allbirds; I don't own Allbirds. I.e., you could tell that I was surrounded by techies and that if you work here, lunch conversation will revolve around serverless computing and crypto. The average age was ~27. There is nothing wrong with any of this inherently, but if you want to diversify and work with interesting people, this isn't the place where you will do that. These are the kind of people that don't know how to shake your hand and look you in the eye, that was a summary of my experience.

5. Terrible Recruiting Laptops

The industry is leaning towards providing laptops instead of whiteboarding; good because this is a more natural environment.

What's not good and unnatural is providing laptops that you need to spend a chunk of every interview setting up, needing to login to Github but seeing previous candidates' profiles still open, needing to get an access code from your email and still seeing the previous candidate's inbox open, and having interviewers who are as clueless as you are with the laptop and throwing hacks at the wall to try and get it to work and wasting valuable interview time.

Other onsites will simply give you a Coderpad link; no weird setup needed besides knowing the password. That doesn't really work with Stripe's process; but if they want to defer from the rest of the industry, they'll have to debug the issues themselves, which they clearly haven't. After all, I've not had to own a personal laptop since college and don't plan to, but I guess I'm SOL if I don't want buy my own or use a VM at work.

6. Lunch

There was free lunch, good! Work here and it'll be yours.

What's not good is that I eat healthy and supposedly they have healthy food. Yet a few hours after the onsite, it felt as if I had swallowed a bowling ball and I had serious indigestion. I think it was because the food had a lot of sodium (it was Asian takeout style, so it probably did). It shows that even if they do give free food here, I will abstain and it won't be a perk.

7. Rejection Email

I appreciate that they email instead of calling since these calls are a waste of time. What I don't appreciate is they do it first thing in the morning on a Friday when I'm getting ready for the weekend. You couldn't have waited till Monday? You couldn't have made it a concise email, instead you had send me a long email with various platitudes like "We know you are talented" and "We wish you luck on your career" and "Unfortunately we will not be moving forward" blah blah blah. Actually, this email was a good microcosm for the whole experience: fluffed up nonsense.

Interview Questions

• Bug finding, adding to existing code, chat with hiring manager, coding from scratch, system design

Tips: spend a few minutes understanding the prompt but dive into coding to get a working solution ASAP.   2 Answers