Stripe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Initial 30 min call.

Then another 30 min call with sales manager.

Lengthy assignment.

30 min call with contact to go over assignment.

Onsite interview consists of mock sales call, new person conducts a typical interview, and finally a case study interview.

After I was declined offer they went completely dark on me. Ignored all contact and suggestions where I asked for feedback on interview criticism. Left a bad taste in my mouth and extremely unprofessional way to treat someone who’s committed time/effort towards them. Very easy to respond with an answer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Below I want to share my opinions in all honesty and not an acrimonious approach.
    Stripe has nearly doubled its valuation to a staggering $9 billion which makes them one of the hottest high growth companies in the world. With that being said, essentially they can be as strict and judgmental to applicants all they want - the demand is extremely popular right now.

1. Recruiter set up phone screen with a manager. Basic questions about your experiences and why did you leave your last role.

Now let's just take a step back and look at the current members on their team and please look at their background and respected colleges. It most likely includes a MBA or consulting background on top of ivy-league institution. Which is awesome but i think Stripe should just included that in the job description. ( If you don't have either please save your time)

2. Recruiting Manager who comes from a BD background ask you questions in a brain teasing format but isn't to complicated. Sharp guy I imagine his goal was to evaluate my analytical skills and the ability to visualize, articulate, conceptualize problems/ his interview questions. ( I could have sold a pen with no ink to him if I wanted lol ... guy has no sales experience but he's for sure a critical thinker )

3. Written Assignment- in fairness the interviewer do not implement the interview process they are just doing their job. Similar to the entire Silicon Valley they want to see how can you explain a technical product to a broad audience in a simple way. The recruiter states it takes 2-3 hours ... which is a laughable statement and the most preposterous inaccurate time period ever. Stripe has some of the most talented individual in the world if you spend 2-3 hours on that written assignment you will EASILY FAIL.... it takes a least 5 hours in addition consulting with some of your smartest friends.

4. I advance to the next steps and now I get to explain my written assignment to a Stripe member ... Wait What ? I do understand Stripe is busy changing the payment gateway industry but dedicating a hour or two a week to consolidated the interview process could really help you distinguish great interviewers from great STRIPE employees... right now Stripe has the right answers! But as the company continue to scales .. I believe this could be a problem. ( If you have an MBA you are on the right track vs real life job experiences basically )

The End- I received a standard email stating they will not be moving forward with me. O, I also was told I had one of the stronger written assignments they seen. It's tough to take feedback like this serious when you're doing so well re: Stripe success ... but my advice to the recruiters just have a little more empathy to the applicants... don't put them through a rigorous process if you know they have no chance... in addition and most importantly remember you were once in his or her SHOES.

Stripe is an awesome awesome company !

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

It took about 3 weeks for them to respond to me regarding my application. When they did, I was effectively given the impression that had no place on their team or company because I didn't attend an ivy-league institution. Why don't you just specify that in your job descriptions and not waste the time of qualified individuals?

Interview Questions

• They didn't even bother to ask.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Initial application submitted online with a sample sales prospect email showing inside sales acumen and relationship building skills. Phone interview with recruiter, somewhat informal but very warm and professional. Said I would be informed in a few days. Took over a week with a vague decline email.

Interview Questions

• Basic phone screening questions, just do your hw on them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was connected to the Head of BizOps through a mutual connection. We had a 30-minute call to discuss where I'd best potentially fit on the team and we settled on a role on the growing Accounts team.

I proceeded to have a 30-minute call with someone on the Growth team, and after that discussion I was immediately asked to complete an exercise in which I provide sample responses to prospective customers, as well as describe a technically-complex solution in more general terms (as a sort of FAQ). The contact point for the assignment was prompt with her responses and very helpful along the way.

After I submitted the assignment, I connected with another member of the Growth team to discuss my rationale behind the responses I crafted - again, 30 minutes with some time to ask my own questions along the way.

After this call, I was invited to visit the offices the next week for onsite discussions, where I met with the two Growth team members, and a third member of the team (that would be my other colleague on the Accounts side). All the discussions were friendly, engaging, and provided a great backdrop for what I would expect from the personalities at Stripe.

Several days later, I was invited for a final set of discussions with the team - I met with a total of seven employees across multiple functions - two of which were the COO and Co-Founder, respectively (that was a nice touch, actually).

I received a "no" from the team a few weeks later via email but was encouraged to keep in touch - the hiring manager also offered up time to connect over the phone for more detailed feedback. It's never fun to get rejected, but I truly found every conversation to be engaging and enjoyable. It didn't work out this time around, but I'd cherish an opportunity to join the team in the future - they've really got something great going on there.

Interview Questions

• How should we scale our account management strategy to cover our Top 100 accounts?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

apply online, phone screen, onsite interview all day. Everyone is really friendly there, but it seems like they were all spitballing questions that they hadn't thought out and had somewhat of an arrogant attitude, because they had a lot of applicants. Not to be bitter or anything because I didn't get it, I'm happy I got the opportunity and think the company is going places, but I just got that vibe. They also have this weird policy where every email you send can be read by other people at the company. They try to spin it as transparency, but it feels more like a lack of trust, which I didn't like.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I had two initial 30-min phone screens, two written assignments, followed by another 30-min phone discussion of my written assignments, and finally 6 on-site interviews. Bottom line: stay away from this company. The product is a mess, their sales team is incompetent, and their hiring process is disrespectful. Employees are rude and aloof. The caliber of the sales team is disappointing, especially for a company that touts itself on hiring candidates with very strong backgrounds. The two written assignments are supposed to only take 2-3 hours, based on Stripe's suggestions. Any candidate who is trying to put their best foot forward will realize these projects take at least 8 to 10 hours, which is absolutely ridiculous. The most frustrating aspect is that you receive absolutely no feedback on your assignment. Finally, the in-person interview is as unprofessional as it gets. Employees act as if they are doing you a service by interviewing you, and do not respect candidates who have taken off day of work to interview. You are slated to interview with 6 employees of the company - of the 6, only 2 showed up and then I was randomly assigned to 4 other candidates who had nothing to do with the role I was interviewing for. It was a Friday, so everyone had gone home, and didn't have time to interview. The first employee that I spoke to was extremely thrilled with herself and the second employee had never worked in sales before, even though he was leading the development of the sales team. I have absolutely nothing complimentary to say about this company, especially its sales team. They have no idea what they are doing. They should be hiring sales engineers as this is a very technical product. They should not be hiring employees who have been teaching elementary soccer for the past 4 years, and then somehow landed on the Stripe sales team.

Interview Questions

• 1) “Stripe.js lets you build your own payment forms while still avoiding PCI requirements." - Explain a technical topic to a broader audience: We'd like to write a separate page that explains this in more detail, targeting the more general audience mentioned above. Please take a crack at writing this up! To be clear, the goal is to explain how it works, not to pitch the benefits

2) Pitch a market segment that Stripe should target using a 3-4 PPT slide presentation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Interviewing for a sales position at Stripe was a more difficult process than other sales interviews because they required me to do more homework and give much more thoughtful answers than a typical interview would. Anytime I was asked about previous wins or projects I worked on, they always wanted to know how I might be able to apply that lesson to working at Stripe. Every conversation I had was with a highly intelligent member of the team and I felt like it was a fantastic experience that made me excited to work here. I wasn't just talking to a recruiter, but with people on the sales team, account managers, and even high up directors.

Process:
    3 Phone screens
    Writing assignment
    4 on site interviews with various 'think on your feet' assessments

Tips:
    Have a good understanding of the payments industry
    Know what projects or initiatives you can bring to the table from previous experiences
    Ask a lot of questions and show a willingness to make the company grow ( vs just your own individual success)

Interview Questions

• What verticals do you think Stripe should focus on for new user acquisition? Why and how would you go about reaching them?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

The interview process consists of multiple steps—some technical, some analytical, some more creative—all seem intentionally designed to serve a specific purpose. This is not your standard sales organization and I think that you will find the same is true of the interview process. Standard peer-screen at the onset of the process, followed by technical write-ups, verbal delivery of said write-up (all very logical considering the nature of the role) and then the final onsite panel consisting of a cross-functional group of peers and superiors. The shared-goal across the team seems to be to find people who want to contribute to the shared-objectives of the entire organization, as opposed to those who are solely focused on hitting their individual sales targets. Be prepared to role play during the onsite; and if you've genuinely bought into the vision of Stripe, share that too.

Interview Questions

• If you were a start-up ride-sharing company entering a new market, what are the first couple of actions you would take to get started in that new geo?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite consumer (mobile) application? What feature would you like seen to improve said app?   Answer Question
    • If you were the CEO of your current company, what would you do to increase profitability?   Answer Question
    • How do you take product feedback back to the powers at be of your current organization?   Answer Question
    • If you were the CEO of your current company, what enhancements would you make to the product?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process starts by having a phone screening with a recruiter followed by: phone interview with AM on the team, writing exercise, call with AM on the team to go over the exercise and then a 3 hour onsite interview meeting with different members of the team. It's a very organized process, but the onsite interview felt more like an interrogation than a 2 sided interview. Similarly to what another candidate said, you do not have any interaction with the manager until the onsite at the very end. I think this has the potential for bias, as you get very little time to actually prove yourself to management. You are asked to do some API troubleshooting followed by different exercises. Personally, I felt that half of the exercises were not relevant to the position. I found it all also difficult to get questions in. One of the interviewers was very combative and didn't let me get a word in without interrupting me.

In the end, I received an email that they passed on my candidacy without any specific detail. I do appreciate that there was an offer to go over feedback on a call. My main point of feedback to recruitment is to make it more about actual scenarios and examples relevant to the job. One of the questions was to pick an app and act as a product manager, which would have been more relevant for an AM to talk about a project collaboration with product that resulted from client feedback.

Interview Questions

• Pick an app and pretend you are the Product Manager what would you do and why   Answer Question