Stripe Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.9

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

The recruiter Jill was great and always on her A game. The process: recruiter call, team member call, take home exercise/homework, review of exercise/homework with a current AM team member, onsite. Onsite consists of 6 people in 45 minute intervals. It was an intense schedule and each interviewee asked different questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Company reached out to me, call, three hour onsite in Dublin, three hour onsite in San Francisco. Stripe flew me to San Francisco alone for 3 nights/ 4 days for final round of interview. No one checked in with me to see if I had arrived or needed any help in the city, I was promised reimbursement for my food and taxis while there... I am still waiting nearly three years later. I was not the correct fit for the job nor it for me as they wanted someone way more technical. The whole experience for the final round was daunting and intimidating, the fact it cost me a good chunk of my own personal funds has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Protracted process with multiple face to face interviews and written competency test. Interviews in London and San Francisco (travel and expenses were covered). Scheduling of SF interview was complicated by Thansgiving so whole process was drawn out but very professionally handled. Despite positive feedback I was not offered a role due to a restructuring of the London office where the role was based.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

-I applied online and received an email from the recruiter 2 days later to set up a time to talk over the phone (initial phone screen).
    -10 minutes before our scheduled phone call, recruiter asked to postpone because she had something come up last minute. We scheduled for the next day.
    -Recruiter called me on time, and I had a chance to talk more about my background, and also learn more about the AM role. Recruiter felt I was a good candidate, and informed me that the next round of the interview would be speaking to an Account Manager.
    -A week later, I had another phone interview with an AM. It was more like a conversation getting to learn more about the position, what it entails, and then getting to learn how my background ties in the role. I felt like we had a mutual understanding that my qualifications and experience matched what they were looking for (I had 6 years of AM experience, and I was well versed in Stripe's APIs). I even asked the AM if there was anything I didn't expand on during our conversation, or whether there was something that made me seem less ideal for the role, and she said that I was a worthy candidate based on our conversation.
    -2 days later recruiter sent me an email that they decided to pass on my candidacy.

I feel that Stripe has the wrong approach in their interview process. Rather than having one of potential future co-workers interviewing me on the second round, I should be interviewed directly with the hiring manager from that department. This reduced bias and subjective judgement. For all I know, that AM could have relayed to the hiring manager false information about my qualifications, even though I was truly a worthy candidate for the role. Every other company I have interviewed at, I have always spoken to the direct hiring manager first before any of the other team members first. Stripe has it the other way around. I am afraid, many of the candidates are going to receive bias opinions because it's a future co-worker that is immediately trying to vet them out. If you are more qualified than them, they could easily see you as competition and choose to make up lies about your candidacy to the position. In closing, this process of hiring is flawed at Stripe unfortunately.

Interview Questions

• 1. Please tell me about yourself.
      2. Why Stripe?
      3. How many clients do you work with at your current position?
      4. What do you do with clients when they get angry?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a mutual friend. The interview process was overall very cold and unresponsive. The recruiter would verbally agree to timelines and miss them. Upon my follow-up, I would get an answer back days later until the answer was "Sorry, we filled the role." For being on so many lists for a great place to work and having fabulous products, this felt chaotic.

Interview Questions

• How would you use Stripe Elements?   1 Answer

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stripe (New York, NY) in April 2019.

Interview

Started with an email with the recruiter, who forgot to respond to schedule our phone call. After scheduling the phone call, we spoke for 30 minutes and scheduled a 45-minute pair programming exercise over Zoom. I interviewed in Scala and was told that the only thing that mattered was correctness. Although simple, I struggled with the interview because the expected solution is not idiomatic Scala. My interviewer also admitted that his Scala was rusty.

Interview Questions

• Implement `minByKey` given a key and list of `Map[String, Int]`; then implement `firstByKey` that generalizes this method and accepts a "direction" parameter. Lastly, implement a comparator and use it to re-implement `firstByKey`.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe in January 2018.

Interview

The interview is via video conferencing. They will already provide you with a boiler code and a set of unit tests to verify the correctness of your solution. They state that the goal of the interview is very simple, to evaluate the correctness and readability of the code.

Interview Questions

• Simple question that can be answered using hash table   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Super clueless Recruiter for an initial phone call that was basically a waste of time. Asked me irrelevant trivia questions while telling me how great the company was and how anyone who doesn't see it is missing the mark. Talked my ear off...

Interview Questions

• Why use an array over a hash?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I was a passive candidate contacted by one the hiring manager via LinkedIn. The conversation was very pleasant an he wanted me to come in onsite. Onsite interview was with 2 people higher up in the engineering chain. The questions were weird HR cobbled together questions. One of the interviewers was very arrogant. It was plain they didn't want someone with more than 2 years of management experience.

Very negative experience. On arrival, the first interviewer (high in the eng. management chain) greeting me was shaking hands with me but talking to some good looking women that he found (very) interesting . Quite unprofessional. This is an arrogant company looking for like minded people. I wouldn't want to work there for a billion bucks.

Interview Questions

• No technical questions.
      What is a characteristic manager? What are the characteristic of a bad manager?
      Who was you best manager? Who was you work manager?
      Tell me about a time you failed.

A lot more of this weirdness.... which IMHO gives no indication of how I can manage an engineering team.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in December 2018.

Interview

tl/dr - seems like a great organization, but interview process a little silly and doesn't match job description.

First I should point out that everyone I talked to was gracious, professional, and seemed top rate. The recruiter in particular was outstanding and kind (even when I was venting my frustration at the follow up call).

I was pretty excited about this one after taking a look at their products and organization, so I put in extra effort to prepare. The job description described the position's 'core responsibilities' as:
    - Become an expert on Stripe’s APIs and how to best deploy them.
    - Help Stripe customers integrate with our APIs and products.
    - Own and drive relationships with external technical audiences
    - Be the technical relationship owner and subject-matter expert with the customer
    - Educate customer technical teams on Stripe products.

With these responsibilities in mind, I was under the impression that the job required a deep knowledge of their products/API's. So in preparation I:
    - Read through their complete set of documentation
    - Walked through/tried all of their requests from the payment and billing API using both Python and Java. ( I found a quirk in their list subscription items functionality in Python)
    - spent time understanding/trying out error responses, idempotency, metadata.
    - used a dummy webhook endpoint to capture events and take a look at them as I was working through the UI.
    - built a mini project with a web front end that hit against my sample Stripe account using the API.

I brought my laptop to show what I had learned up to that point.

I completely wasted my time. No one at any point in the interview process had any interest in what I knew. There was a role playing session that I thought was a little silly, another session that went over some customer situational hypotheticals, a high level SQL session, a presentation session and a talk with the hiring manager. For the most part I enjoyed the day, but it didn't seem to match what I thought the interview process would be for a technical role.

The feedback I received ("not enough client facing experience") was a little insulting. I have more than a decade of customer facing experience as a technical consultant, trainer, escalation manager, technical account manager, and product manager.