Stripe Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.0

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe in January 2018.

Interview

The interview is via video conferencing. They will already provide you with a boiler code and a set of unit tests to verify the correctness of your solution. They state that the goal of the interview is very simple, to evaluate the correctness and readability of the code.

Interview Questions

• Simple question that can be answered using hash table   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Super clueless Recruiter for an initial phone call that was basically a waste of time. Asked me irrelevant trivia questions while telling me how great the company was and how anyone who doesn't see it is missing the mark. Talked my ear off...

Interview Questions

• Why use an array over a hash?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Boulder, CO) in October 2019.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on Linkedin followed by quick intro call where she described position briefly. Phone technical screen was setup up during call.
    At time of PS interviewer was ~10minute late and he was unhappy, not nice person.

I was able to solve challenge, but it is worth to mention that they never contacted me even with automated rejection.

Interview Questions

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME.. OR DON'T TAKE THEM SERIOUSLY...
    Before explaining my experience, something I want to mention
    - Have 14 years of work experience in software development.
    - Worked in 3 continents.
    - I am writing this to help other people

The recruiter reached out on LinkedIn. Said good things about the company, their plan to expand in Dublin and the importance of being part in early stage and career growth opportunities.

Asked some time slots, initally fixed one slot than later postpone it to other time. It was a video call over Zoom.
    Rules of Exercise :
    1. You can use either coderpad or can use your environment and do screen share.
    2. Objective is to write code and there was test cases which checks the code.
    3. You can google stuff if you want.
    4. Exercise is such that, you implement one function then you will ask to implement next function and so on etc.
    5. 3 Phases (means function implementation) it get tougher than previous one.
    6. They say you need to pass at least 2 Phases.
    7. They are not looking for optimization as it is not been tested in this.

Sounds great. Yeah, they sound awesome everywhere. They want to have test in environment just like you do coding everyday. Hence your choice of Enviroment. Allow using google, stackoverflow etc.

My choice of language : JAVA

So interviewer is from Canada working as remote. He clearly mentioned everything above.
    He asked me to paste the code from coderpad to my IDE i.e. IntelliJ Idea

The code was not compiling. My Java version was 8 and it has compile error as per that version.

I start working on my code implementation but was blocked as I can't run it due to compilation error. The interviewer mentioned he has not done coding in Java in a while hence need help. Ping the agency from where they get the questions and they suggested the change and error was gone.
    (If this was a test as well then I am surprised and happy I got flunk. I was focused on my code.)

Implemented all 3 phases of exercise all test cases passed. Once I did debugging to pin point my copy paste of same code error.

You don't need to google and anything. Questions are easy and can be done by your own.

Everything completed and fine. No discussion of optimization and anything.

Got mail that they are not taking this further. No feedback and nothing.

Complete waste of time. Only thing I learnt - All that glitters is not Gold.

Interview Questions

• /**
           * # Step 1
           * Throughout this interview, we'll pretend we're building a new analytical
           * database. Don't worry about actually building a database though -- these will
           * all be toy problems.
           * Here's how the database works: all records are represented as maps, with string
           * keys and integer values. The records are contained in an array, in no
           * particular order.
           * To begin with, the database will support just one function: min_by_key. This
           * function scans the array of records and returns the record that has the minimum
           * value for a specified key. Records that do not contain the specified key are
           * considered to have value 0 for the key. Note that keys may map to negative values!
           * Here's an example use case: each of your records contains data about a school
           * student. You can use min_by_key to answer questions such as "who is the youngest
           * student?" and "who is the student with the lowest grade-point average?"
           * Implementation notes:
           * * You should handle an empty array of records in an idiomatic way in your
           * language of choice.
           * * If several records share the same minimum value for the chosen key, you
           * may return any of them.

/**
           * # Step 2
           * Our next step in database development is to add a new function. We'll call this
           * function first_by_key. It has much in common with min_by_key. first_by_key
           * takes three arguments:
           * 1. a string key
           * 2. a string sort direction (which must be either "asc" or "desc")
           * 3. an array of records, just as in min_by_key.
           * If the sort direction is "asc", then we should return the minimum record,
           * otherwise we should return the maximum record. As before, records without a
           * value for the key should be treated as having value 0.
           * Once you have a working solution, you should re-implement min_by_key in terms
           * of first_by_key .

/**
           * # Step 3
           * As we build increasingly rich orderings for our records, we'll find it useful
           * to extract the comparison of records into a comparator. This is a function or
           * object (depending on your language) which determines if a record is
           * "less than", equal, or "greater than" another.
           * In object-oriented languages, you should write a class whose constructor
           * accepts two parameters: a string key and a string direction. The class should
           * implement a method compare that takes as its parameters two records. This
           * method should return -1 if the first record comes before the second record
           * (according to key and direction), zero if neither record comes before the
           * other, or 1 if the first record comes after the second.
           * In functional languages, you should write a function which accepts two
           * parameters: a string key and a string direction. The function should return
           * a function that takes as its parameters two records. This function should return
           * -1 if the first record comes before the second record (according to key and
           * direction), zero if neither record comes before the other, or 1 if the first
           * record comes after the second.
           * You should then use your comparator in your implementation of first_by_key.
           *   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stripe (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Phone Screening with in house recruiter, general questions about experience and suitability for the role.

Technical interview was scripting based exercise in Ruby with multiple steps layering on top of each other. You aren't told what the next requirement is until you complete the one prior.

You are required to do this online with 2 people watching you via zoom.

Interview Questions

• Multiple Steps of script asking to sort and search an Array or data structure. Each step changes the parameters and should leverage on top of the others.   1 Answer