Stripe Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

I was referred. Typical phone screen, followed by a typical onsite. Received a verbal offer soon after. A few days later, in a follow-up call I thought would be about team matching, the recruiter pulled the offer, and told me that "they are targeting only engineers with 10+ years of experience for 2020".

Interview Questions

• The Stripe interview process is formulaic (and well-documented online), although it is a different formula from Google. Instead of 5 whiteboard interviews, you receive a bug hunt, an "implement a script" interview, a typical whiteboard-style interview where they claim up-front not to care about big-O performance (although one of my interviewers, when pressed afterward, said that yeah, he basically just cares about big-O performance), a whiteboard design question, and a manager chat.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Application

Interview

Excellent interview process.

Stripe tests the skills that you will actually be using on the job. In my case, there were 2 domain expertise interviews, 1 find-a-bug interview, 1 general programming interview, and 1 manager chat. Three of the five interviews involved doing something useful on the computer, as opposed to scribbling sorting/tree traversal/DP code messily on a whiteboard.

Although I do better on algorithmic interviews than practical interviews, I think that the effectiveness of Stripe's interview process is leagues beyond the rest.

My only point of feedback would be that the bug fix interview could perhaps be a bit more involved (ideally the bug fix could be more interesting than a 1 or 2 line change).

Overall, a very enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• (Laptop) Multi-stage programming question, similar to the phone screen.   Answer Question
    • (Laptop) Locate and fix a bug in a reasonably large code repository.   Answer Question
    • Interviews (whiteboard design & laptop) in your domain of expertise.   Answer Question
    • Retrospective + forward-looking conversation with manager.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Seattle, WA) in November 2019.

Interview

Different than other companies' processes in a good way. Much more focused on real coding skills.

Phone screen over video chat w/ screen share. Standard coding question but told to focus on writing good code rather than finding an optimal solution.

On site: Hiring manager on behavioral/fit, design, and 3 coding interviews ranging from solving a problem, modifying an existing code base and fixing a bug in an open source codebase. The focus was on writing quality code on a computer and demonstrating your code skills such as debugging and codebase navigation rather than the typical writing optimal solutions on a whiteboard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (New York, NY) in November 2019.

Interview

I appllied online, and after 2 weeks, I got an online assesment, it is one code challenge in that link. After I done the code challenge for about 2 weeks, I got an phone interview invitation. There should be onsite if you pass the video interview.

Interview Questions

• design a function min_by_col from a database, need to write Comparator yourself   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe in November 2019.

Interview

I first completed the online HackerRank coding challenge. I then had a 1 hour technical screen over Zoom with 2 engineers. Then I had 2 back to back technical screens over Zoom, 1 hour each.

Interview Questions

• min value in hash tables, then https requests, then more with hash tables, not bad.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Online application, hackerrank, video interview; Hackerrank is unique to Stripe and appears to be the same question asked to every applicant. Video interview is welcoming, and standard questions. Nothing is too difficult, but definitely know how to talk through your thinking.

Interview Questions

• Return the row that contains the minimum of a given column.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe in October 2019.

Interview

Hackerrank. Finished 30 minutes early, passed all public and hidden test cases. Still rejected.

Left a bad taste in my mouth - no longer interested in working at this company. Thankfully I have other offers.

I hope management/university recruiting/HR sees this and reconsiders how they hire. You are permanently driving candidates away and they are telling others about their experiences. It's a shame because I thought highly of the company previously.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe in October 2019.

Interview

Initial cultural call followed by an online technical interview. Cultural call was standard. Online technical interview coordinator seemed disinterested, but was pleasant answering questions. I didn't realize it was a two-parter and ran out of time trying to be thorough since the premise was that this should be production-ready code. So I included test cases, docs and some design setup as well as many questions about use cases.

I was declined for the position after the first round, presumably due to running out of time to complete the second part. I was hoping for feedback and was happy when the interview coordinator scheduled a follow-up call to provide that feedback. However, this person was a no-show for the call and never answered any other follow-up emails.

Interview Questions

• Design a tool to find the minimum in a database (consisting of key/value pairs) given a column   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Stripe.

Interview

Hackerrank, phone interview and then onsite. Really intereseting process. Does not involve traditional leetcode problems. I was referred by a current employee. Office looks really interesting.

I was dissapointed that I did not receive any feedback when I was rejected

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

When I was reading all this weird feedback from other folks, I was not sure why it’s like that. After going through the process I have realized, either there is not a clear communication of what company want to do with the interview or they are jut doing time pass with the people.

The interviewer will ask you to solve a coding problem which is not very difficult on your favorite choice of editor and favorite coding language. He will tell you multiple times that we want to solve the problem as quickly as possible without worrying about much of the optimization and run it against some tests. After all through the process doing everything what you have been asked for, they will decline saying we don’t want to move ahead with your candidature.

I have been conducting interviews for so many years and appeared at many places, it’s the most surprising experience I have ever seen. I don’t think anyone will mind, if a little bit more information can be provided on why it got declined.