Stripe Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Stripe Support Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Stripe

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stripe (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to the specified email on their website and received an email the next day from one of their recruiters. We setup a time to chat on the phone the next day. We had a pleasant chat the next day and at the end she said she would set me up to talk to Account Support member as well as send me some support questions and asked me to answer them as though I was responding to real Stripe customers. The questions weren't difficult and after a bit of research I was able to answer them all reasonably quickly.

The next day I talked to the Account Support member and we discussed my previous roles and how I would be a good fit for Stripe. He told me a bit about his job and what was next for him at the company. They're trying to hire a lot of Support team members before the end of the year.

The next day I received a follow up email from the recruiter and they wanted to fly me out to San Francisco to do an in-person interview. That was on Friday, so on Monday I was flying to San Fran for the interview. The people I meet were really nice - however the interview process was a bit grueling:

It started at 1pm and consisted of meeting with various team members in different departments and generally they had some tests for me to accomplish.

The first test, I was presented with 10 questions various customers had emailed Stripe support for assistance. The questions were similar to the original list but a bit more technical. This was timed and with someone sitting in the room, I felt a bit nervous. The team members all tried to make me feel welcome and at ease - but sometimes you're just nervous. I was only able to answer 4 of the 10 questions within the timeframe allotted (45mins) but with those 4 questions, I had responded with code samples that I validated myself. So it took me a bit to get ramped up.

The next meeting was with the Support team lead and it was a general discussion about past experience and what Stripe was trying to move towards. No tests besides how I answered his general questions. I thought it went well.

The third meeting was another technical test. I was really unprepared for this. The team member came in, introduced himself and introduced the process for how the test would proceed. Basically it was pair programming to figure out a solution to a problem he wrote on the whiteboard. I have to be honest, I blew this test. I was thrown completely for a loop and stumbled my way through the 45mins we had to work on the solution. At the airport on the way back, I emailed the recruiter with a more elegant solution to the problem - however, it didn't seem to matter. ;)

The fourth meeting was a writing test. I was instructed to write for 7 mins about any topic. It was to be similar to a news article or a blog post - not like a story. Again, I wasn't prepared and didn't manage to get much written before he came back. After that, we went through some of the Stripe dashboard and support sections and he asked me how I would make improvements to the UI and content. This I excelled at - and took heart that maybe I should pursue this area in my job search.

Finally I ended the interview process with a meeting with a co-founder that was pretty quick. He's a busy man. :) But it was pleasant.

I caught up with the recruiter before leaving, got a t-shirt and sticker and she said they'd let me know within two days if they'd like to move forward.

Late on the second day, I emailed the recruiter after not hearing back, and I was told that they decided to not move forward. I was bummed as I really felt I could've contributed vastly to the Stripe team and product - I just didn't get to show it during the 4hr in-person interview. I wish I was told as soon as the decision had been made as I was eagerly waiting for their response.

I replied to the recruiter asking for some specific feedback on my interviews to see where I could improve and was told that although I had great past experience, I just wasn't the right fit for the team. So I'm not sure what I did wrong. I got on well with everyone. The only thing I can think of was that maybe they were looking for someone to dedicate a lot of hours to the product, and I had hinted that I was looking for a place with work/life balance (I have a young family) and had just come out from a new startup with insane hours.

So, there you have it. The interview process was very quick and if you get to the in-person interview stage, be prepared! :)

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• The technical code/test was the most challenging part.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Stripe

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe in October 2015.

Interview

Very poor interview process, you are given questions that are supposedly simulating the role. These questions are poorly written, unrelated to each other and merely caricaturing customers service in its daily interaction with clients. The feedback between the rounds is almost offending as you wonder whether they read your responses or just assembled words randomly picked in a dictionary.
    Overall, despite a decent offer the idea of having colleagues treating people in the way they did during the interview process was a no-brainer to turn down the offer.

Interview Questions

• Question3(In this situation, John refunded a charge right after making it, and is
      seeing the $4.65 in Stripe fees being withdrawn from his account.)URGENT question for the Stripe Team:I just saw on my statement that you TOOK $4.65 OUT OF MY ACCOUNT! I made an
      order on my website for $150 to try it before launch but refunded right
      away....why are taking money from my account?

I need an answer right away! Why are you charging me?
      John
      (quoted, Stripe don't actually bother with spaces or line breaks with candidates)   2 Answers

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Singapore (Singapore)) in November 2017.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews:
    1) A set of support questions across different programming languages resembling email support.
    2) 45 mins google hangouts, a basic technical question regards to space handling with a helpful technical accessor

Interview Questions

• Asking me to build a time machine data structure which I found very interesting to design!   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stripe (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process at Stripe was great, and I felt it was the most fair and engaging of any company I have interviewed at. It was very speedy and respectful of my time as well.

I applied online very late in December. In early January a recruiter reached out to me and set up a standard phone screen.

Following this, there was a written assignment. Since I was applying to the Support Engineer role, this assignment asked me to put together some answers to supplied customer queries(both general questions and specific code debugging questions), with reference to the Stripe documentation. I was given a few days to complete this assignment and could do it in my own time, but the assignment was actually really engaging(genuinely interesting questions) so I did it as soon as I could.

Following the written assignment, I was given feedback on the very same day! An interview was set up for the following week. This was a 1-on-1 technical interview with an engineer. It was conducted over Google Hangouts. This again presented an interesting technical question, and I was allowed to solve it using tools in my own local environment, in a language of my choosing, and just share my screen and discuss my approach. It did not feel like a 'trick' question like at some companies. This was all within the first two weeks of January.

Following this, an on-site was set up. This process took a couple of weeks due to scheduling, and the on-site took place in early February. The on-site itself took place entirely at Stripe's Dublin office- previously you needed to fly to SF for this, but the team at Dublin is now able to conduct these locally, which is great.

The on-site was a half day session with 6 interviews, some of which took place over video conferencing. The interviews were split between further technical questions, behavioural questions, a small written assignment, and support-oriented questions. The questions were again very fair, all the interviewers were personable and friendly, and I was made to feel as much at ease as possible. I had coffee with a future colleague and was given a tour of the office, and was able to ask as many questions as I liked.

Following the on-site the recruiter kept me updated on the progress of my application. I was asked for references and benefit expectations. Two weeks after the interview, an offer was made, which I happily accepted.

Overall interviewing at Stripe was a very positive experience!

Interview Questions

• How would you prioritise a given set of customer queries and choose which to address first?   Answer Question