Student Works Painting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at Student Works Painting

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Westwood, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

It is a group interview in the beginning but they disguise it as an "info session." They single you out and you move on to the next round. However, throughout the whole process, they are very vague about what you will be doing and keep dropping Princeton Top 100 but never explain what you will be doing until way later into the process.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about business connections and why is keeping business connections an important skill?   1 Answer

Student Works Painting Response

Feb 22, 2016 – President - Eastern Canada

Hi, I am sorry you have our organization confused with another organization. We only do business in Canada.

Painter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tillsonburg, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Tillsonburg, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Met at a coffee culture and was handed a contract and all things for marketing (door-to-door). Wasn't asked anything about experience, they will hire anybody and say they have "extensive training" when I was handed a paint brush and was told to get to work. No real training.

Interview Questions

• We have to go door to door to get jobs, and you have to be ok with that.   1 Answer

FT Painter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Calgary, AB (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

We sat down at Tim Hortons and the interview was a bit awkward with tons of questions about my past jobs and what I like to do for fun.It lasted for about 15 minutes. The girl interviewing me seemed very new at hiring people (she was 18 and this was her first time managing anything) The things she said in the interview seemed promising such as having work for all summer and making good money. Unfortunately she lied to me and let me go after 3 days of work because she did not have enough work lined up for her crew.

Interview Questions

• What would make you a good painter?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation as it is a piece work system.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

It was very long and stressful. Chris Thomson the CEO didn't make me feel very nice after finding out that I planned to work with my father too during the summer

Interview Questions

• What is your commitment to this company?
      How much money do you have to invest?
      Is there a minimum amount of time you'd like to put into this?   Answer Question

Painter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Guelph, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Guelph, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Involved an unpaid training session. Group interview.The interviewer was nice and understanding, there were enough materials for everyone, however, we were taken to a random neighbourhood by the car of the employer. It was extremely sketchy. The interview took place in a food court of all places. As long as you're capable of talking to people 1;1 and in a group you should be completely fine.

Interview Questions

• Experience Painting.

Basic painting stuff (what's caulking/stain/paint)

Minor background.

Why do you want the job   Answer Question

Owner/Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

Very rigorous process. They do about 3 or 4 stages of interviews, some in person, some over the phone, all about 20 mins to half an hour in length (including an online personality test), and then finally you meet wit the CEO Chris Thomson in person for an interview, at which point you will either be selected for a position or declined.

Interview Questions

• They want to know what kind of person you are, and what motivates you. More importantly, how you will stay motivated throughout your contract period.   Answer Question

Franchise Owner/Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Kingston, ON (Canada)) in October 2015.

Interview

It began with an information session outlining all the details of the job, all the challenges and all the benefits in a very detailed manor. Then proceeded to an in person group interview with a district manager who revised the details from the information session and asked questions concerning motivations of applying. Next came a phone interview where they asked what kind of leadership experiences I had and what were the situations where I had to work the hardest in my life. After the phone interview came an in person interview with the head of the company who asked many of the same questions and asked to identify times in my life where I was challenged in leadership positions and where I've had to work many hours to something and asked many questions about drive and goal setting before giving me the job on the spot at the end of the interview.

Door to Door Marketer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (London, ON (Canada)) in March 2015.

Interview

Very very relaxed setting in fast food joints on campus. Two interviews, one group and one individual. VERY VERY long interview. 2 hours test marketing session. Lots of training, little pay. Not worth the time at all. The specific recruiter did not tell me about the time requirement at all and I had to reschedule. It was also on ST Patty's day, which was poor planning wise since a training session would be difficult given all the parties around.

Franchise Owner/Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

The process began with an information session that I went into having no idea what it was about, and the interviews began right after. That night in order to get to the next information session I had a brief phone interview of a couple questions (what experience do you have, etc) that was only about ten-fifteen minutes long. After that information session we had to fill out an online application, complete an online personality survey, and from that were selected for a 30-minute phone interview with one of the higher-ups of the company. That was one of the hardest interviews I've done, full of questions really testing your dedication, thinking, and experience you think is worth something to the company. From there we were further selected for a 45-minute personal interview with the head of the company, which was much more laid back.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time you had to "size someone up" quickly to make a decision, when was it, and what was the outcome?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Student Works Painting (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview is set-up in stages; Description and introduction of company, phone interview, meet with a district manager in a group interview, one on one with the president. The process is well set-up and is in place so they can hire the top applicants from all over the country. This is not a process to take lightly as you will be offered a position at the end of the process and a decision is expected from you.

Interview Questions

• Past experience (they want to see that you have been able to hold consistent jobs), how you present yourself, your goals, and your ability to sell-yourself (confidence).   Answer Question