Sun Microsystems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sun Microsystems Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems in January 2009.

Interview

The interview process was very professional. First they screen the candidates with a phone interview and if they pass then they call you for a face to face interview. My interview was with 4 people individually - 2 directors and a group manager and senior product marketing manager. Everyone was very professional and thorough and were very clear with what they wanted. Prepare yourself with the requirements from the job description in detail and then some more as well. Have knowledge of current technologies and where it is going. Sun is a great company with great products and technologies and the culture seems to be very good as well. If you are a top performer, diligent and hard working you can really learn a lot but and progress as well. Great offices and location. Has a great cafeteria and also a gym onsite which is free for employees. Great bonus structure and benefits too. I would love to work there and it would definitely challenge my skills and that is what I am looking for.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate and show ROI and TCO to your customers? How do you go about it? How would you create economic level messaging to show ROI?   1 Answer
    • You don't have current experience with the product for this position. What makes you fit for this position?   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (Broomfield, CO) in October 2008.

Interview

Fairly informal interviewing process. Referred internally by an employee via the HR organization to the hiring manager. Two initial phone interviews, followed by an in person interview and then a series of brief interviews by my managers Director, other individuals who I am now working directly with, and one other Director in the organization.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Some. I was a rehire and was able to negotiate backup to my departure salary.

Really consider if you want to work at Sun and why. The company is under a lot of stress, but there are opportunities to learn global enterprise skills that few other companies can offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

Only behavioral questions were asked of me. The position was mostly to be a complementary asset to the team, so in depth engineering savvy was unnecessary. How the interviewer was very courteous and professional, wanting mostly to know about my background and what research I had done on the company.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (Chicago, IL) in March 2008.

Interview

I received a phone call unexpectedly. Although I was actively looking, I took the call and started to negotiate the position after learning about what they needed. I met with the recruiter who then referred me to the hiring Director at that time. We had a good phone conversation and I was hired shortly after following one more in-person interview

Interview Questions

• Wow, its been a while. I don't remember any specific questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told them what I was asking for and they agreed.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (Menlo Park, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Hiring process consisted of a phone screen followed by a group interview with people I'd be working closely with. Questions were pretty straightforward such as "Why do you want to work at Sun", "What do you think this position entails", and "What skills do you bring to this position"

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Sun   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be prepared to answer the salary range question during the phone screen. Sun pays fairly, so you don't have to worry about being low-balled. My salary was exactly at the median for the year 2008.

Work Environments Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (Broomfield, CO) in January 2008.

Interview

Due to Sun's practice of setting up global teams who can work from anywhere, the initial contacts were all via phone. I was first contacted by the Hiring Manager, and then another member of her team via phone interviews. This was followed by a group interview on location.

Interview Questions

• Would I be able to pick up a major project in which the planning was nearing completion, and run with it?   1 Answer
    • Did I have a problem reporting to more than one Manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I attempted to negotiate everything I could, but was given an offer (which was fair and generous) and only one of my negotiation points made it into the final hiring plan (flexibility). I believe this was due in part to the urgency in which they needed to place the position.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (San Jose, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

The same question was asked several different ways so as if to see if the response was consistent.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (San Jose, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

Hiring process was pretty standard, nothing out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

• If you were putting together a program with little or no budget, what aspect of the program would you sacrafice and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They were very hard line with their number. Budget was pretty fixed, you either took it or you didn't.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2008.

Interview

interview questions relevant to skills required

Project Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sun Microsystems.

Interview

The process begains with the presentation and overall review .
    Then Attitute and Personity test
    Then Group Discussion
    Then PErsonal interview and HR interview
    All the steps was non rejection round and it was lots of fun in there ..