Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

Updated Jun 26, 2017

2.6

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Events Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I had 3 separate interviews over the course of a month. First with the director and my potential colleagues, the next was with two managers from other departments and the third one with the new manager. Each interview was very similar and I was asked the same interview style questions. Everyone was kind and friendly and it was a great experience overall.

Then on the day before I was supposed to be given an offer I was informed that the position was going to be changed to an 18 month contract (very last minute after over a month of interviewing). I agreed to proceed with the application with the understanding that my salary expectations had increased due to the fact I would no longer be receiving benefits and would not be included in HOOP.

I received the email from HR of a conditional offer at 4:45pm on a Friday and the offer was lower than my current salary, which initially was a little insulting. I realized that HR could have avoided this mistake if I had been asked what my current salary was in one of the 3 interviews, which I never was. I was asked my salary expectations and was never told that they weren't close to the range for the position, which I understand why it was done, but in the future this could have saved both parties a great deal of time. Knowing my salary expectations are no where near their range I wouldn't have agreed to the second interview.

I took my time over the course of the weekend to figure out my counter offer and I drafted a kind email explaining why I deserved what I thought was a much more reasonable compensation for my experience and what they were looking for in the role. They came back at 4:30 pm on Monday and had only raised their initial offer by $1,500 per year. I guess that the HR rep didn't realize that this was still less than I currently make and as a result I had to turn down the offer.

I will say that the entire interview experience was lovely. The people were kind and on time and really seemed warm and inviting. But the moment HR was involved the process became cold and unappealing. I think ensuring that the proper questions are asked and there is full disclosure about the salary expectations of the position in the initial interview will help all parties involved could save everyone some time. I thank everyone involved for the excellent experience but it was still in some way disappointing because I was looking forward to working for such an amazing organization.

Interview Questions

• What are three things you could work on   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

When I got to my interview, I was told to go straight to the lab first, where I met with the other lab members "while I waited." Afterwards, I was brought to interview with the lead scientists who run the lab. I later found out that the initial visit to the lab itself was a secret interview, and if the lab members like you, they would give a thumbs up (or down if they didn't) behind your back when they dropped you off with the scientists, and that heavily effected your outcome.

Interview Questions

• Do you have SPSS experience? What is a Pivot Table, etc.   Answer Question

Clinical Chemistry Medical Laboratory Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

face to face interview. asking common behavioural questions and some technical questions. study your csmls notes and you will be fine. difficulty of the technical question ranges from easy/common to medium difficulty hard.
    Clinical chemistry job so far does not have practical exam for the interview.

Clinical chemistry job so far does not have practical exam for the interview.

Interview Questions

• common behavoiural questions and some technical questions   1 Answer

Human Resources Inter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview started by a brief introduction of both the interviewers and how the process would be like.
    The both the interviewer had positive body language.
    The interview ran longer than I planned.
    I felt connected with the interviewer and was able to build a rapport with the interviewer
    Overall it was was the best learning opportunity being an intern I couldn't ask for more.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Does not apply except for the number of days at work. which was quite flexible.

Database Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

Two months after I had applied for the position, I was contacted for an interview. I was surprised because I thought I was out of the running. I did an online questionnaire about my skills. From there I landed an interview. I thought I did very well, well for someone who had been travelling for a year to remember technical answers for SQL and Access. It was all really positive.

Why I had a negative overall experience is 4 weeks after the interview, I had emailed the person coordinating the role if the position had been filled, no response. I then had to go further and ask the person who interviewed me if it had been filled and if so, can I be provided with some feedback, this was two weeks after I had emailed the person. The response was, yea they had filled the role and he has already started, how is the job search.

I have found the whole process very unprofessional especially for a large organisation. I have never experienced anything like this - although I am comparing it to Australia. You will get a response as soon as the candidate as been chosen for the role, at the interview stage. If that's the sort of process you have to go through for getting a role, I wouldn't want to work for such organisation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • What are your goals over the next 5 years.   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in the position?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about Sunnybrook and the role?   1 Answer
    • Have you worked with health data before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Was asked to go in for 2 separate interviews; one with coordinator team and another with coordinators and lead researcher. First interview went fairly well; good rapport. On second interview, lead researcher asked some follow-up questions. Researcher stated they could not discuss salary range; a bit disappointing in this regard.

Interview Questions

• Scenario-type question; a clinical question (criteria for specific diagnosis); salary expectations.   Answer Question

Summer Research Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

Online and in person. One online interview with 2 managers, and another one with a phd student. I think they have a lot of freedom on what type of questions to ask, so varies with individuals. They also ask good questions suitable for a university student level

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via phone for an interview less than 2 weeks after applying online.
    Went in for a short interview (30 min) where they explained the jobs, and asked a few questions - nothing too technical.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

There were various steps. I met an HR the day I dropped off a resume. I was called for testing. Then called for interview. Then requested to fill out verification forms of education and send my references. I did not know until the end that the requests for all the paperwork meant they were seriously considering me. Then I was called with the offer. I accepted but HR did not know pay scale. Then HR consulted and called me back with pay offer. Then I had a start date. My new boss was away and we did not meet for some time.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions were asked. Nothing unusual.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied via email over the weekend and was contacted by the primary investigator the next business day (Monday). I was scheduled for an interview that Friday. I was interviewed by the primary investigator who was extremely personable, kind and considerate throughout the interview. I was informed that I would hear from the PI early the next week if I was successful in proceeding to a second interview. I did not hear back from the PI until the following Friday. On the following Friday I received a considerate, personalized email from the PI informing me I did not get a job. The PI also wrote that he was recommending me for another role that a colleague was hiring for and gave me other great feedback.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with literature reviews
      Are you familiar with PRISMA?
      Are you familiar with any meta analytic software?
      What is your greatest accomplishment
      Tell me about your experience with database management   Answer Question