Sunrise Senior Living Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.5

Food Service Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lombard, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Lombard, IL).

Interview

Very intense, long process with many different people, from staff to regional director background drug testing tb testing well beyond topical health care interview process very thoroughly done in all aspects of the interview.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

You will interview with the Executive Director and possibly the management team of the community you are applying for. The next step is a phone or live interview with the area Director of Operations and possibly an interview with a Reminiscence specific Senior Manager. It could take weeks for them to get back to you but that doesn't mean you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you feel is your worst quality as a professional   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation. Make sure to ask a lot of questions and do a lot of research. They will not tell you their "skeletons."

Executive Chef Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kenilworth, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Kenilworth, NJ).

Interview

A gentleman named John bacon was a general manager at a hotel at work with he want to go to Pennsylvania to open up his own catering you looked at me we had a talk I was his chef

Interview Questions

• Ask me to prepare dinner he asked me to do it by the recipe I done it   1 Answer

Resident Care Director Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

Interview was rushed. I was a previous employee that worked over nine years with the company and never received recognition or promotion for implementing changes with the company. Never received a follow up call after interview with the Executive Director.

Interview Questions

• How old am I? and would I be able to handle conflict?   1 Answer

Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (San Diego, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I found the Director of Sales position posted on LinkedIn and applied on the company website. Shortly thereafter I received an email from a recruiter in the home office asking to schedule a telephone interview. I was given a link to accept an interview time which was confirmed electronically. The initial interview lasted about 30-minutes and was basically designed to review my experience, knowledge of the company and interest in the position. I sent a personalized thank you letter to the recruiter.

Following the interview, I was emailed hyperlinks to take two online exams; a) a Predictive Index (personality) test and, b) a software/technology proficiency test. In total, they took about 30 minutes to complete. I then received an invitation for a second phone interview with a more senior recruiter in the Western region. The second interview lasted about 40-minutes and focused again on my experience and motivations. There was also an exchange about the position and company in greater detail. I sent a personalized thank you letter to the second recruiter.

During the same call I was asked to attend a third phone interview with the Regional Director of Sales for later in the week. The Regional was a few minutes late because she had been on another call and this third interview lasted about 35-minutes. The context was to once again review my history and background and exchange information about the position and the company, also in greater specificity than the previous interview. I was informed that this was the "third stop on the gravy train" and that I would be contacted by the General Manager if I was selected to move forward in the hiring process. I sent a personalized thank you letter to the Regional.

A couple of days later I received both a phone call and email from the GM asking my availability for an in-person interview that week. We settled on Saturday morning since this position was for a Tuesday through Saturday assignment. I arrived about 10-minutes early and checked-in with the Concierge. She informed me there was a staff meeting underway and I should wait in the lobby.

Although I was kept waiting for 40-minutes past my interview time, it gave me a chance to meet some of the staff and residents and to gain some insight into the inner workings of the community. I found it to be warm, compassionate and welcoming although there was a little bit of unrest among some of the more active residents since the activities coordinator seemed to be off and they were bored and looking for social/mental/physical stimulation.

They brought in some of the care staff and gathered a group inside the bistro to try to figure something out.

The General Manager came out of his office and invited me in to meet with him and the Reminiscence Care Manager. Both had a scripted set of behavioral questions for me and we proceeded through the deck one by one. There were approximately 10 "what would you," "how have you" and "if this, then..." kinds of questions followed by less formal conversation. The fourth interview lasted about 35-minutes and overall I felt great about the exchange and experience. I sent a personalized thank you letter to the GM and care manager.

I was surprised that first thing Monday morning I received a stock "we regret to inform you..." letter via email informing me they had selected another candidate. Although disappointed, I would say the entire experience was mostly positive. Having visited the community, I believe it to be a clean, safe, compassionate and nurturing environment for both staff and residents. I would encourage anyone interested in this company to pursue the journey.

Interview Questions

• 80% of all interviews will focus on behavioral attributes. 20% of the time will be spent reviewing your background and experience. Be prepared for two short exams, one behavioral and one technical. Their biggest thing is wanting to get to know what makes you tick so they can make sure you will succeed within the company and the community culture.   Answer Question

Sales Director Interview

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

After submitting application it took a while to hear back. Was called for an interview and interview was a lot of scenario questions not really directly related to your job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a family member did not make a next step after a tour?   Answer Question

RN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Paterson, NJ

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Paterson, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

Lengthy process, multiple interviews and spread out. Not a rushed process at All. Have to meet with different department heads and answer questions about past situations and how you handled them

Interview Questions

• What is a tough experience you had and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Part Time Caregiver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurnee, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living (Gurnee, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

I went in for the group interview and that went fine. Just talk a lot and smile. I went in for the second interview stage which was the shadow. Absolutely horrible. They had failed to inform the trainer that I was scheduled to come and shadow so she had an attitude which she took out on me. When she asked why I chose Sunrise Senior Living she got even more rude. I am currently in college and when I told her that I could tell that the interview was over and that I had already lost the position. As I shadowed her she would not train me and then she would talk under her breath at me. Ex: "Wow, it's really not that hard. You should have just not come."
    I wanted to leave, but I tried to stay professional and took it. She would run around when I had my back turned and not tell me where she went and got mad that I kept getting lost in a building I had never seen. She was also rude to the seniors and would insult them to other employees. It was very upsetting because the seniors couldn't hear very well so when they ask her to repeat what she said, she would just say, "Wow you look so pretty today!"
    When I tried to assist her or any of the seniors, she would deny me the chance. As I was leaving the building, I could hear her complain to another employee that I didn't do anything the entire process and scoff at the fact that I was in college. Okay? Horrible place. They did not call back after that.

Interview Questions

• Why Sunrise Senior living?

Why are interested in this field?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living in October 2015.

Interview

lengthy, but they want to be sure they are hiring the right people for their communities, which is understandable. they want the best taking care of their resident..i met with ED of community I was being considered for, another ED, a RCD, and some regional personnel. I was pleased to have been able to go to a few different communities, they are all beautiful and well kept. everyone I met was pleasant and seemed to truly enjoy what they are doing

Interview Questions

• how would you handle a situation where someone has not been receiving their medications   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate salary, we met in the middle

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sunrise Senior Living.

Interview

Group interview where they interview anyone who's applied regardless of what position they applied for. It is incredibly distracting to switch back and forth between people who are all applying for different jobs. The interviewer was rude and openly mocked people for answers that she didn't think were good.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate anything. Would not recommend this company. RUN LIKE HELL. DO NOT TAKE A JOB WITH THEM!