Interview Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

-Englewood, CO

EchoStar

Suppose you are working on a project with an original scope of a few months and you are told that you instead now have a few days -- how would you handle it?

Tags:behavioral
AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

5 Answers

I'd ask 'why'? Something radically changed since the last time this was discussed. Understanding what it was that changed is critical to determining the best course of action. Adding manpower, reducing scope, working 24/7, or pushing back might all be reasonable (or horrible) solutions. By first understanding the (new) need, you can then develop a solution.

Steve on

Depends: Who is telling me this? What stage is the project in on the project life cycle? Review these factors in light of the impacts, set change management process and communication plan. There are no cookie cutter approached - each project is unique.

Brenda on

I would say evaluate the overall impacts and risks then communicate it with your sponsor (customer). Let he/she to decide then document it.

Shun on

As long as the project is on track and I am in day >55, I'd say; " No issue."

EriK on

Assuming the scope reduction is feasible, I would toss out everything except the highest priority deliverable.

Anonymous on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.