Interview Question

Machine Learning Software Engineer InterviewPalo Alto, CA

Facebook

Suppose you have a matrix of numbers. How can you easily compute the sum of any rectangle (i.e. a range [row_start, row_end, col_start, col_end]) of those numbers? How would you code this?

Tags:algorithm, code
AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

8 Answers

Compute the sum of the rectangles, for all i,j, bounded by (i,j), (i,m), (n,j), (n,m), where (n,m) is the size of the matrix M. Call that sum s(i,j). You can calculate s(i,j) by dynamic programming: s(i,j) = M(i,j) + s(i+1,j) + s(i,j+1) - s(i+1,j+1). And the sum of any rectangle can be computed from s(i,j).

Anonymous on

The answer is already popular in computer vision fields!! It is called integral imaging. See this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haar-like_features

seungwooYoo on

It wasn't 100% clear to me, then I found the Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summed_area_table

Awesome!!

Anonymous on

Please elaborate, which "basic rectangles"? Are you recursively dividing each rectangle into 4 smaller rectangles? Precalc time for doing that is not O(n)?!?

maxzed2k on

Let a[][] be the 2d array, int i=0; for( j = row_start; j <= row_end; j++) for( k = col_start; k <= col_end; k++) i+=a[j][k];

Anonymous on

Iterate over matrix as an array storing (new sums array) in each position the cumulative sum up to that point. For each row in the desired submatrix we can compute its sum as a difference between its end and start positions. Repeat for other rows. Add up all the row sums.

Edi on

It can be done in constant time by precalculating sums of some basic rectangles (extending all the way to the border of the matrix). That precalculation times time O(n) by simple dynamic programming.

Anonymous on

One or more comments have been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.