Sur La Table Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 29, 2017

2.2

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Boulder, CO).

Interview

They ask the questions out on the floor. It's too public and very awkward. They ask you the basic sales person questions. They also then ask you to sell them some products while on the floor. How would you talk about it? What would you tell the customer? Then they say they will call you after they are done interviewing others.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult customer. How did it go? What was the outcome?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call the next week. It was a simple phone screen to gauge my interest and availability and we scheduled a phone interview for a few days later. The phone interview was short and we mostly just talked about my customer service experience. We then scheduled an in-store interview for the following week. It was a one-on-one interview with the resident chef.

Interview Questions

• How do you connect with customers? A lot of customer service questions.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate, Part Time Interview

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Providence, RI) in May 2016.

Interview

I transferred from another location so no interview at all. I had very extensive phone and then in person interview when I first came on to SLT. My first manager taught me so much and recommended me to move up.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation on wage.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Portland, OR).

Interview

Applied online and got a call back within a few weeks. Had two interviews and got and offer. Process took about a month. Had a phone screen interview and then another interviews with all of the managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Assistant Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

30 minute phone screen, plus an in-person group interview/panel for two open positions. The meeting was about 30 minutes long. Within 24 hours I received a message saying they decided to pursue other candidates for one of the positions. Did not return my calls about the second open position.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about my background and experience in retail. Asked me to describe a possible advertising campaign for SLT. Asked me to describe an ideal tablescape.   Answer Question

Store Floor Lead Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

I interviewed with 2 Assistant Managers and then the Store Manager. As a current employee hoping for a promotion, they each already knew me so the interview felt informal.

Interview Questions

• If I saw a shoplifter in the store, how would I handle the situation?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Walnut Creek, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Just like another Retail Sales Associate Interviewee had said "Interview was done in corner of store standing up which seemed odd." (Oct 28, 2015 - Corte Madera, CA)

Yes, it was odd. I thought it was not professional. It was about 7 minutes. I did not feel the
    Interviewer cared about the interview just cared about hiring someone specific to their "preferred"
    or "specific" type of retail. It was too quick of an interview to give a professional care.

I do not recommend applying to Sur La Table at Walnut Creek, CA. They seemed dis-interested, unless you are "specifically" and had "current" retail experience, even though I had extensive customer & sales experience. Not recommend for future job-seekers do not spend time filling out the online application. This position is only offered in Part-time.

Interview Questions

• Ask about what kind of interactions I had with customer previous job positions (with previous companies).   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Madison, WI) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was called for an in-person interview within 2 weeks. The interview was scheduled at a convenient time. I met with the Resident Chef and the interview covered basic information about me, my experience, and why I wanted to work at Sur la Table.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when coworkers couldn't figure out a problem and you solved it? (not verbatim--but that was the gist of it)   Answer Question

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sur La Table.

Interview

Standard Interview. Put on repeat 4 times. Literally. 4 hours long, same interview over and over. By the time it the last person I was boring myself. They couldn't just do a group interview. 4 hours is a lot to ask from anyone. Clearly there are process issues they need to work on. Wasting company time x4.

Seasonal Stock Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sur La Table (Irvine, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online and waited, got a phone call interview about a week and a half later. I answered quite a few questions and the interviewer asked me to come in for an in-store interview the next week with both the person that interviewed me and the manager. I ended up only having the interview with the person who interviewed me on the phone because the manager was nowhere to be found. The interviewer read off a bunch of questions from a list and filled in my answers. She said she'd call back, but never did. I got a call from a manager at a different store asking if I had been hired, to which I said I was unsure. That manager called me again to tell me that the 1st manager had put me through a background check. I signed the background check paperwork, but no one contacted me again. In the end, I never bothered calling back because the season for the seasonal job had pretty much ended.