SustainAbility Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

Interviews for Top Jobs at SustainAbility

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SustainAbility (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had two informal interviews over coffee, two formal interviews over Skype, and one presentation to the team.

Both informal interviews went very well. The formal interviews, excellently. I felt very confident before the presentation.

The presentation to the team went really well. The topic was to run a meeting with the team in preparation for a meeting with a CEO (this assignment was given to me on paper, not orally, so there was no misunderstanding). The object of the meeting, or so I was told, was to show I could work with the team. The rapport was superb and I felt I fit in nicely, despite being the only person of color and male in the room (and in the entire New York office). The team was extremely friendly (as they had always been). I walked out feeling good!

I didn't get the job. I later followed up with the head of the office whom I had initially met with informally over coffee. She said that I may have been too informal for a meeting with a CEO. I then responded, "The assignment was to lead a meeting with the team to prepare for a future meeting with a CEO." I forwarded her the assignment they sent me and highlighted how I followed the instructions. She didn't have a response, and then apologized profusely, actually.

The goal with this follow-up call was not to change their minds but to get more insight on how I could improve. It was frustrating to hear that the way do so was to contradict to the assignment they gave me or to attain clairvoyance or telepathy.

She then told me they went with someone with more experience than me. I learned later that they went with someone far more junior than me and with a lot less experience/who would accept their starting salary of $60,000. I would have rather they were upfront and honest and prepared on their end (at least have read the assignment they gave me) instead of ad-libbing during a follow-up, but I ultimately do not regret not getting the position.

Finally, one of the people who interviewed me, I interviewed for a job in a previous position. She did not get the job and I wonder if that played a role in my rejection, but I guess I'll never know!

Interview Questions

• Create and lead a mock presentation to the team on a company's (of my choice) sustainability strategy. Prep the team for a future meeting with said company's CEO.   2 Answers