Want a Free Job Posting?

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Strategic Planning Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sutter Health (Sacramento, CA) in November 2010.

Very laborious process. They had my resume for about 4 months before they called. Started with a phone interview with the hiring manager. That went well so I was invited for a 1:1 interview. That also went well and I had good rapport with the hiring manager. He asked me to appear for a panel interview which got a bit riduculous. There were 6 people present in the room and three others attended from another office location via teleconference. Nine people...barely enough time for each person to ask one question, and I never knew where the next question was coming from. I felt like I was being vetted for the supreme court. This was for an upper level analytical position; individual contributor...not even a manager or director. I felt it was overkill. Furthermore, I didn't have good rapport with some of the folks in the room. Manager called a few days later and offered me the job. I was surprised...didn't think the panel had gone well, but boss obviously liked me well enough to (perhaps) overrule them. Since no one from the team I would be working with directly was part of the panel, and since I was on the fence (liked the boss but maybe not the larger group) about the position, I asked to be able to meet with the team I'd be working with to help make up my mind. Not sure what the boss told them; again, I had already been offered the job. They put me in another panel with the team (three of them vs. me...and it was "versus") and the team grilled me hard. I wanted to laugh and say, 'you guys know that I've been offered the job and I'm trying to decide, right?' I ended up accepting the offer after making some demands and it worked out fine, although I was right about some of the folks on the panel.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were asked to present unpopular data/findings; how you did it; what the outcome was; what you would do differently; etc.   Answer Question
  • Assume you are offered and accept this job. Fast forward a year or two...how would you know if you had made a mistake?   Answer Question

Since I wasn't sure the job was for me (and thus willing to gamble), I asked for a bit more money, some flexibility in schedule and start date. Nothing ridiculous; wasn't playing games. Stuff I asked for was within reason but they could have said no. They didn't. Gave me what I asked for.