Swagelok IT Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for IT

Swagelok IT Interview Questions

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solon, OH

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Swagelok (Solon, OH) in October 2010.

Interview

Interviewing at Swagelok was unlike any other experience I've ever encountered. I was contacted through a recruiting agency about a IT position they were seeking to fill. I went on my initial interview not expecting a whole lot. Your typical "meet and greet" and then off I'd go waiting for the second round. Well, it went as I thought it would go and I did get a call back for a second interview...Then a call back for a third...Then a fourth...Then a fifth....Then a sixth...I am NOT kidding. I interviewed at Swagelok SIX times over a TWO MONTH time span. That's back and forth to their facility all six times with a possible SEVENTH interview scheduled!!!

After the first two interviews, which were more technical skill based, the remainder of my interviews were more "personality" based. Swagelok takes huge pride in assuring that each employee has the right "stuff" to fit in with the rest of their employees. I was told that the lengthy interviewing process was "deliberate" and that HR was hoping to change their hiring policies someday...Well, don't hold your breath, because after seeing what I've seen that isn't going to happen any time soon.

The technical interviews were fairly standard and pretty painless. Everyone there was pretty nice to me. The only problem I have with Swagelok is that they could dramatically reduce the number of interviews if they would just start their process backwards. That is, if the final interviews (my sixth and seventh) are going to be with the Director of IS Operations and the Chief Information Officer...Why not start there and weed the potential candidates out? That's where I failed in Swagelok's interviewing process. The guy that I interviewed with (He would have been my Supervisor) liked me and was pushing for me to get the position. That guy's boss liked me too. So did the three other people (unrelated to my position there) as well. It wasn't until I interviewed with the Director of IS Operations did I lose my footing for the position.

The feedback I received was that I didn't seem "excited" enough about the position and that some of my answers were shorter than expected. Really? Well, Swagelok, let me clue you into something: Maybe I should have done some cartwheels and back flips, but after six interviews, most of which were personality assessments, a candidate tends to get a little bored with the SAME questions! Each interview was at least an hour, so in total, that would be six or seven hours of the same round of questioning by different individuals!

By the way, Swagelok makes special pressurized fitting and fixtures for fluid technologies. Fittings and fixtures. Excited yet? C'mon. The position I applied for was in IT. It has nothing to do with the actual manufacturing, design or implementation of said fittings and fixtures. The position was all about data and storage. So, excuse me if I'm not doing jumping jacks about the product. Maybe it's because the position has little to do with the actual product.

In short, Swagelok seems to care more about a candidate's personality and behavior assessment than whether, or not a candidate can perform the actual position. The interviewing process was a bit self-defeating and towards the end it really was pointless in meeting with the higher up staff that would rarely have any interaction with the candidate's position. There were way too many redundant interviews and stretching over two months it was really excessive. Like I said, if you are going to let the Director or CIO of the company can a candidate based of their inner gut feelings and not on performance, or skill set concerns then they should just start at the top and quit wasting people's time and money. Swagelok must spend a fortune on this interviewing process.

So, if you are an extremely patient person and are willing to jump through all of Swagelok's hoops then by all means apply to this company.