Sylvan Learning Centers Director of Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sylvan Learning Centers Director of Education Interview Questions

Interviews at Sylvan Learning Centers

2.4

Director of Education Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

I had multiple meetings with the owner, the owner's wife and the owner's son. We had dinner twice and they invited my spouse to join us once. I was brought in to meet the staff during the hiring process as well.

Interview Questions

• The normal interview questions like: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? They talked about themselves alot!!!! They talk about how they are Christians and what great people they are and how much they do for the community. They will also show several videos of families that have participated in the program. It is almost like you are being "sold" on the job.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

Anonymous Employee in Flower Mound, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Flower Mound, TX) in April 2013.

Interview

There were 3 interviews. The first was a phone screener to make sure I was okay with alternating hours (830-5 one day and 11-830 the next, and alternating Saturdays). The second was a phone screen with one franchise owner who wanted to know about my educational experience. The third was an in-person (intimidating) interview with the other franchise owner who wanted to test my ability to think under pressure by role-playing sales opportunities. I got the job a few days after the third interview, pay was non-negotiable.

Interview Questions

• "Pretend I am a construction worker and my kid needs expensive tutoring. Convince me to invest in Sylvan"   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Laguna Niguel, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Laguna Niguel, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I called this particular Sylvan location to inquire about any job opportunities they had. The Center Director mentioned either part-time teaching positions or a full time Director opening they had and we scheduled a phone interview with the goal of me obtaining the Director position. The phone interview was what you would expect, going through my work history, my experience with confidential records, etc. After the phone interview, I was called to schedule an additional interview in the center to meet the center director in person, as well as to meet the franchise owner and have him get to know me better.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have that makes you feel you would be a good fit for the role of a Director?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Accepted offer to start part-time, being trained to teach for the first month and then gradually being given more Director responsibilities (due to my inexperience with Sylvan). After working for about two months, the owner came to me to negotiate salary and inform me of the benefits I was entitled to (health and dental).

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Dallas, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

Applied online to specific center. Received a phone call to set up an interview the next business day. The interview was quite laid back and the center directors were friendly. I interviewed with both directors, then individually with one of the two. Job offer came at the end of the interview. I'm not sure either one of them knew what to ask me.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary was open for discussion. I later discovered I made more than at least one other director of education in my area, simply because I asked for it. Typically, you can expect to make what you would make working as a teacher in the city where your center is located. Franchisees often don't know what you're worth. Be sure to let them know what you would be making as a teacher, and your base pay should equal at least that amount.

Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Walnut Creek, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

Very quick and some what formal.

Anonymous Employee in Davenport, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Davenport, FL) in October 2009.

Interview

The hiring process took approximately one hour. I was asked very few questions but could tell the owner had read my résumé very thoroughly.

The owner did not let me know pertinent information that I really needed to know before I accepted the position.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know about business experience knowing I had always been a teacher.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Granbury, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Granbury, TX).

Interview

The interview was satisfactory. The important details were covered as how I would fit into the programs and philosophy of Sylvan.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult for me was how I would handle a money issue with parents.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations were needed.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Spoke with Owner than another director. Painless, great people! The center manager was really nice and had alot of energy. I really enjoyed speaking with her. I have another interview next week in person with one of the owners. I think the next step is to be hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, the salary was already in place

Director of Education Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

I've been interviewed and I also interview employees. I recommend submitting an application via the website (careers button) and attach a resume. This gets e-mailed to the center you choose. Don't stop there!!! I recommend you follow up with a phone call or drop by the center with a hard copy of your resume (again). I get a lot of applications but will interview a walk-in on the spot if I'm available or schedule one over the phone if they call and I'm hiring and get a good vibe. You may be hired on the spot or wait for a call back (depending on how many others are interviewing and if you're a good candidate). My promotion process to DE included a personality survey online, a meeting with the business consultant from the corporate office, and then with the Director of the center I'd be working with. They called me later that afternoon after they discussed me together to offer me the position. You may meet with both directors or just one depending on the structure of the center. Questions for teachers involve organization skills, ability to adapt and be flexible, teaching experience, behavior management, etc. If being hired for a specific subject, like math, you may be required to take a skills assessment in that subject area to show you have the ability to teach it.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question asked was about a situation where I didn't get along with a co-worker. I had to describe the situation, points of view, what I did well, and what I could have done better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Wasn't any negotiation. In the interview I was asked about expected salary. I had already done the math and knew it wouldn't benefit me at all if I made less than a certain amount so I said no less than that number and I they gave it to me. I later found out it was more than 2 other DEs hired before me and on par with 1 other hired the same time at other centers by the same people.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Starts with a questionnaire through email asking various questions about company culture, background and experience. In person interview is easy, just be yourself! With that said, there are a lot of questions about the education piece and knowing different aspects of the school process and child development.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to work with kids?   1 Answer