Sylvan Learning Centers Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sylvan Learning Centers Tutor Interview Questions

Updated Nov 28, 2016

2.3

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Sent my resume to an ad on Craigslist, set an interview time over email. Interviewed and was hired on the spot. They just asked typical teacher questions. How would you deal with this type of student, etc. they also explained how the training worked and asked me about my teaching experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do for a student who wasn't focused?   1 Answer

Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Walked into the building without an application and asked if there were any part time positions available. They asked me about my educational background, and then told me to come interview with them the next day. Interview is easy. I have almost no prior teaching experience and no certification but I am pretty experienced in college math because of my degree, and that is what they're looking for.

The interviewer was very friendly and just wanted to know my personality. As long as you show enthusiasm that you want to teach and make a difference in peoples' lives, you should have no problems. It was a very easy interview.

Only drawback is a ton of paperwork to do after the interview if you're offered the job and takes at roughly 45 minutes to complete.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was a standard process. They called me in for an interview. We went over my resume, background in teaching, and years of experience in different content areas. I explained why I was looking for part-time work. I was able to ask a lot of questions. I remember asking about the student population, opportunities for more hours and promotions, available technology, and the staff. My questions were all answered. I felt like I got to know the organization very well during the interview.

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Immediately they were aware of my qualifications from a resume I had submitted for review. the interviewer was polite and made me aware of the center expectations of their teachers and salaries were discussed. I was made aware I had to pass an intelligence test on computer prior to being hired. All progressed well.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX).

Interview

Interview process wasn't bad, but it was kind of long. We had to take assessment tests first. For English, there was an ELA writing and reading test. The interview was pretty casual, and not really super stressful. Brace yourself in the mock tutoring, and remain calm and composed.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I was given a phone interview, with an offer for the position immediately, because I was needed that week. I went into the office to do the necessary paperwork and meet the director. I had worked for the school district, so that probably shortened the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work off location at a Boys and Girls Club?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. They did give me mileage, but I did not find out about that until later.

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Charleston, SC) in October 2015.

Interview

It was very quick and perhaps more relaxed-than-standard; they were especially interested in my math skills, since math teachers are few and far between at that particular center. They sent me home with a packet to fill out and asked me to let them know when I could start. I did not find out until after I was hired that I needed to have a teaching certificate to secure my position.

Interview Questions

• Through what level of math are you comfortable teaching?   Answer Question

Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and after a few days received a phone call back and scheduled an interview within the same week. I went in and first took the proficiency test for any subject I wanted to be able to tutor in (which is openly expected of all that apply). Then, the one-on-one interview began. I cannot remember whether I was given an offer that day or a few days later.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Rochester, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

At the time I originally applied, they were not hiring, and said they would contact me when they were. They contacted me a few months later like they said they would, I scheduled an interview for either the next day or the day after. I interviewed with the owner. Her questions were very direct and straightforward, but the interview was short and simple. Then, I observed out at the tables where the students were being tutored.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

A two step process which involved testing for which subject you are qualified to tutor and then a mock tutoring session with their hiring manager. The job is meant for someone who is not daunted difficult conversations and feels in control of their academic expertise. There is also room to be a mentor and life motivator in this position, so they are searching for those qualities in a candidate. Appear professional, be personable, and be prepared to stay for a while.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a non-responsive student?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was comfortable enough with the salary and hours that I did not feel the need to negotiate.