Sylvan Learning Centers Tutor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.2

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Had a phone interview for a position in the Los Angeles area. I had submitted an application online. They sent an email asking me to call and give times I was available for a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work for $12.50 an hour, and keep 3 weekday afternoons and one weekend morning free (even if we have no students for you, you would have to keep it free)?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was short and easy. Questions were basic. They explained how they work and then asked a few background questions and case scenario questions. They called in a few days with an offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with a group of students that are all at different levels and/or working on different subjects?   Answer Question

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Sent my resume to an ad on Craigslist, set an interview time over email. Interviewed and was hired on the spot. They just asked typical teacher questions. How would you deal with this type of student, etc. they also explained how the training worked and asked me about my teaching experience.

Interview Questions

• What would you do for a student who wasn't focused?   1 Answer

Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Walked into the building without an application and asked if there were any part time positions available. They asked me about my educational background, and then told me to come interview with them the next day. Interview is easy. I have almost no prior teaching experience and no certification but I am pretty experienced in college math because of my degree, and that is what they're looking for.

The interviewer was very friendly and just wanted to know my personality. As long as you show enthusiasm that you want to teach and make a difference in peoples' lives, you should have no problems. It was a very easy interview.

Only drawback is a ton of paperwork to do after the interview if you're offered the job and takes at roughly 45 minutes to complete.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was a standard process. They called me in for an interview. We went over my resume, background in teaching, and years of experience in different content areas. I explained why I was looking for part-time work. I was able to ask a lot of questions. I remember asking about the student population, opportunities for more hours and promotions, available technology, and the staff. My questions were all answered. I felt like I got to know the organization very well during the interview.

Tutor Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Jersey City, NJ) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview was short, to the point, amicable and easy. The interviewer told me a great deal about their goals, focus and culture. She mentioned the requirements and expectation very clearly. I was told about the background check (expect that with any job involving kids, especially). I got a call back the next day and they helped with the internal certification on their training system (paid).

Teacher/Tutor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Immediately they were aware of my qualifications from a resume I had submitted for review. the interviewer was polite and made me aware of the center expectations of their teachers and salaries were discussed. I was made aware I had to pass an intelligence test on computer prior to being hired. All progressed well.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX).

Interview

Interview process wasn't bad, but it was kind of long. We had to take assessment tests first. For English, there was an ELA writing and reading test. The interview was pretty casual, and not really super stressful. Brace yourself in the mock tutoring, and remain calm and composed.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

I was given a phone interview, with an offer for the position immediately, because I was needed that week. I went into the office to do the necessary paperwork and meet the director. I had worked for the school district, so that probably shortened the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to work off location at a Boys and Girls Club?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. They did give me mileage, but I did not find out about that until later.

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Charleston, SC) in October 2015.

Interview

It was very quick and perhaps more relaxed-than-standard; they were especially interested in my math skills, since math teachers are few and far between at that particular center. They sent me home with a packet to fill out and asked me to let them know when I could start. I did not find out until after I was hired that I needed to have a teaching certificate to secure my position.

Interview Questions

• Through what level of math are you comfortable teaching?   Answer Question