Sylvan Learning Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Sort:

Math Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Bellevue, WA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, the process took one day. First phone interview about 15 minutes asking about basic information. Then interviewed in Bellevue Center with Director of Center and the owner. They are very nice and friendly. Asked about past teaching experience and what my goal is. Then asked how long I could commit to their center.

Interview Questions

• How long can you commit to us?
      How's your multitasking skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Grand Rapids, MI) in June 2010.

Interview

I emailed my resume in after calling to get the hiring managers email. I got a call about 2 weeks later that turned into an informal phone interview and then was asked to come in for a 1:1 interview. Interview was fairly informal, asked some behavioral and competency questions. Then she gave me the payscale I would start at, offered me a job, and had me shadow another teacher for an hour.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate students?   1 Answer
    • What levels of math would you feel comfortable teaching?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate. They gave a set pay scale and since it was a temporary job I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Austin, TX).

Interview

I applied online and after a few days received a phone call back and scheduled an interview within the same week. I went in and first took the proficiency test for any subject I wanted to be able to tutor in (which is openly expected of all that apply). Then, the one-on-one interview began. I cannot remember whether I was given an offer that day or a few days later.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Houston, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

Fairly straightforward. Walked into the building without an application and asked if there were any part time positions available. They asked me about my educational background, and then told me to come interview with them the next day. Interview is easy. I have almost no prior teaching experience and no certification but I am pretty experienced in college math because of my degree, and that is what they're looking for.

The interviewer was very friendly and just wanted to know my personality. As long as you show enthusiasm that you want to teach and make a difference in peoples' lives, you should have no problems. It was a very easy interview.

Only drawback is a ton of paperwork to do after the interview if you're offered the job and takes at roughly 45 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Applied online. I had a 1:1 interview with the Director of Education and then had a phone interview with the Center Director a few days later. Basic customer service and behavioral questions. Overall process was fairly quick.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a disgruntled customer and how you approached the situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fair Lawn, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Fair Lawn, NJ) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was called back for a brief phone interview the same day. Scheduled in-person interview for a few days later. Was given a tentative/likely offer at that interview and officially offered the position within a few days, started within two weeks of sending in the application.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lima, OH

Interview

The interview took 20 minutes. Some questions were general but others were bey specific. It was not too bad as most questions asked were pretty general. Math teachers do not have to have a teaching license. The facility was very nice, and clean.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work at Sylvan Learning Center?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Omaha, NE) in January 2018.

Interview

I first was offered a phone screening. Very basic questions such as how I heard about Sylvan, why I want to work at Sylvan, what difficulties in teaching have I had to overcome, what age groups/subjects I'm comfortable teaching, and what my availability would be.

Interview Questions

• 1. What is my highest level of reading/math I feel qualified to teach?
      2. Least favorite subject to teach?
      3. Strengths and weaknesses as a teacher
      4. How do I get distracted kids back on task?
      5. How do you accommodate different learning styles?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Baltimore, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Simple. Easy Questions. The director at the time did not ask any questions about content knowledge, just personality based and how to deal with parents. Talked about where Sylvan is going with their curriculum.

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Frisco, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview began with my background, then moved into why I'm seeking employment at Sylvan. This discussion lead to a conversation about the vision of the program and the expectations.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a great fit for this position?   Answer Question