Sylvan Learning Centers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Sylvan Learning Centers

2.2

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

My interview began as a phone interview and I am still in the interview process. I had the interview on monday and received a phone call on Wednesday to come in for a observation which is the next step of the process. After that I will hopefully move on to an in person interview. The beginning of the phone interview began with the discussion of what all happens at Sylvan and what they are expecting from you. At the end of the interview I asked some follow up questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate an unmotivated student?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baytown, TX

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Baytown, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

Director screens applicants, calls you in to "make sure you are not weird," then makes a decision based on qualifications and personality. Was asked how I deal with differentiation. Asked if I could handle various levels and subjects at once. Wanted me to tell her what hours I could work. Seems really biased and elite.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Jacksonville, FL) in April 2011.

Interview

I stopped by to ask if they were hiring. The center's manager was there. They were looking to hire an upperlevel math teacher. I am not a certified teacher, but they can hire 2 noncertified teachers at each center and only if they are teaching math. She basically hired me on the spot after asking about my teaching and tutoring experience. She requested my resume and transcript be sent to her before she could officially hire me. I sent those in and started working 2 weeks later. I loved the job. Great people and very organized.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (San Jose, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

Bachelor's degree required. I was a new graduate and heard about the job on Craigslist. I sent in my resume to the email given and came into the office for an interview. My interviewer was very polite and she was just interested in what kind of person I was and my tutoring experience, why I was interested in working with kids, etc. Straight forward.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (El Paso, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

The director called me and set up interview. She set up the interview at a time when students and teachers were coming and going. She also left her door open, parents and students within earshot. It was somewhat distracting.

Interview Questions

• I had to hand fill out an application, which I thought was alittle odd at an interview since I had already provided an online resume. I was asked about 10 questions from the director (by herself.) Most dealt with how I would help a struggling reader. What questions would I ask the student to see that he/she understood what he/she read. Would I be more comfortable teaching math or reading and what my experience was with both of those. Then toward the end of the interview, she dropped the bombshell. The pay for this job was $8 per hour!! They want a certified teacher and want to pay them $8 an hour. Then the director threw in the fact that they offer discounts for teacher's own children if they need tutoring. I thought this was insulting. So, I'm supposed to tutor other students for close to minimum wage, AND bring my own child in for someone else to tutor, and pay for that. The sad thing is, there are teachers hard up enough to accept this pay. I'm not one of them. I'm educated and certified and have worked hard to get where I am. Sylvan should be ashamed of themselves offering a rate like this. I would assume the turn over rate to be incredible.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Detroit, MI) in June 2012.

Interview

I applied to a posting on Monster, but I didn't hear back for almost 4 months, when they needed teachers to fill in while the regulars were taking time off for the summer. It didn't feel like an interview - it was pretty much a job offer, but for $12 an hour, that isn't really surprising. Just a few questions over the phone and a few more in the office and I started the next day before I'd even filled out all the paperwork. It may have been nice if I had been shown around before I started the next day - I didn't know where the time sheets were, or the bathroom, or that I was never supposed to walk away from the table when students were there, or about a dozen other important things that I found out about by doing it wrong and being scolded later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None - they have a set rate for teachers.

Anonymous Employee in Verona, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Verona, NJ) in June 2013.

Interview

Bring resume in and take test for whatever subject area you desire to teach. Once that is complete need to talk to branch owner about base pay rate. I negotiated based on my experience and what I though was fair. She wanted a little less, and we met in the middle. Overall, very easy process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated my pay up

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

Interview was obtained through connections with a friend who worked at the company at that time. I had one interview lasting approximately 30 minutes and was asked about my educational experience and background. The interview itself was very low-key. I was also asked if I had current teacher certification and if I would be planning on keeping it current, as Sylvan only employees people who have (or have HAD) teacher certification.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Though I'd expected full-time hours, I was told those weren't available. I would ask for a specific schedule and expected number of hours worked per week, and if those hours would be consistent each day.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about 5 days later. I was asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. I set up a day and time and went in. The interview was with the center director and the owner. Most questions were relating to teaching such as why I love teaching, and what is the thing you like least about teaching. After the interview I received a call later that day asking if I wanted the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a problem you have when dealing with a student who has a behavior problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Teacher's Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carrollton, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sylvan Learning Centers (Carrollton, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

Quick interview process - few questions and lots of paperwork
    They were very relaxed and welcoming. I was interviewed in there testing room, and the interview lasted about 15 minutes before I was given the paper work and details for a drug test