Symantec Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

2.9

159 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The worst experience I had till now is Symantec. Save your time by not applying to this company. Recruiters called me and we had initial discussion. First round was a call with hiring manager who asked decent amount of sensible questions. Then was onsite round. Reached Symantec HQ 10 minutes before interview time and first interviewer was late by 20 minutes. SERIOUSLY !!!!!! If candidate is late, its a negative point but what happens when interviewer is late???? First interview was design question and while I was explaining approach, interviewer was on phone with probably using whatsapp. I had to explain him approach twice at each point. Then had coding rounds. All went fine. Now is the worst part. Not hearing back from Recruiter after following up multiple times. What happens if candidate signs offer and don't show up on first day ? He is blacklisted in company records !!! Probably !!! Probably NOT !!!! But Symantec is blacklisted in my list of companies now. ALL THE BEST SYMANTEC for such a culture.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. Quite basic problems about Linux (some basic commands), algorithms (such as binary search tree, Big O of data structure) and some coding in Python (simple task of processing file).

Interview Questions

• Write a Python script that removes all comments from a cpp file   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Got a call through referral for Norton Unit. I scheduled it for after a week. The phone call lasted for about 30 minutes, only technical questions were asked. Topics were based on Java, OOPS, and SQL.

Interview Questions

• Was questioned on Java, OOPS, SQL and about one project in my resume. Which data structures did you use? Why?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview, one telephonic call and the other was an onsite. After clearing the telephonic interview I was called for onsite interview. Onsite had 4 technical rounds 45 minutes each and 1 HR round. The technical rounds were really heavy and they possibly asked me everything that could be asked. HR round was lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Call: General Resume Questions, discussions on project.
      Was asked to write a code to reverse a sentence, eg Weather is good today to today good is weather. The code had to be written on a google drive, where I was evaluated on my coding style and thinking skills.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 1: 45 minutes - I was asked to write code on a whiteboard to traverse a binary tree recursively.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 2: 45 minutes
      1) What is the difference between mutex and semaphores?
      2) Given different scenarios and asked whether a deadlock can occur in these situations.
      3) What scheduling policies does Linux use? Is this the best scheduling policy?
      4) What is the difference peer to peer communication and server to client communication? Also the advantages and disadvantages.
      5) How does a system call work in Linux? Explain the whole workflow?
      6) How interprocess communication take place?
      7) How do you ensure there is no deadlock and livelock, explain all the algorithms you know.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 3: 45 Minutes
      Asked a system design question. Clients requests were changed and was tested how I handle them.
      So the question was there are 1000 users , they send queries to server. The server has to provide service by implementing three functions.   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 4: Print filesystem in a specific order.
      eg /usr
                 /abc
                 /mno/cat
          /pqr
               /rst

How would I implement this structure?

2) How would you implement generic variable data types in Java?
      3) What is encapsulation, inheritance, and abstraction?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First got a phone screen call from an engineer, who was really friendly and I actually really enjoyed that call. She wasn't just a recruiter saying how great it is to work there, but we talked about various technical topics, from her asking questions and me asking her questions about her work.
    Then the next week it was two back-to-back onsite interviews with two engineers both on the team I was interviewing for. Basic whiteboarding questions. First interviewer was really cool

Interview Questions

• Asked me about an NES emulator I worked on (from my resume)   Answer Question

Backend Protection Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

There was a brief phone interview. The interviewer was very friendly and asked simple questions related to data structures and object-oriented design. Then I got noticed about the onsite interview. The onsite interview consists of 3 sessions in each of which on person will ask you one or more questions. At last there is a brief conversation with an HR.

Security, Technology, and Response (STAR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave my resume to a friend and he referred me to the STAR internship director. I got an email within a couple weeks for scheduling a phone screen. The phone screen lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer first talked about what the STAR program is, what Symantec does, and what interns work on. Then he asked basic C++ questions. Mostly dealing with data structures and definitions, only one simple algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• - How is Python different from C++? Advantages and disadvantages of each language, when you would use either language.

- What is a namespace in C++?
      - When would you create your own namespace? If you did, what/how would that help you and which functionalities could you add?
      - Name all situations when the double colon :: used in C++?
      - What is a protected variable in C++ classes?
      - Passing by value vs passing by reference
      - If I need to pass by reference but still have the variable’s value be intact, what would I do? (const keyword)
      - Algorithms: If I have an array of integers, what is the fastest way to find the largest integer in the array?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interviews, one with the Director of Symantec Cyber Security, the other with a Senior Data Scientist. Then a lengthy take home assignment doing some predictive modeling on lending data.

I did well enough on the phone interviews to get to the take home test stage. I'm fine with take home tests and completed the take home test in one week, the allotted time frame. Feedback on the take home test was that I "did very well".

Then a week later I hear back from the group letting me know that they were looking for someone with more data science experience. I have 4+ year of experience in data science and 20+ years of experience in tech overall.

The group could have made this decision just based on the initial phone screens instead of wasting one week of my time with a take home assignment. That's what really pissed me off - the asymmetry between how much time a candidate spends on the interview process and how much the company spends.

If the Symantec Cyber Security group treats potential employees this way with a blatant disregard for their time, how will actual employees be treated? How much politics and BS are inside the company, making for a toxic work environment where you can't get any honest, straight answers?

Avoid the Symantec Cyber Security group, there are a lot better data science groups & companies to work with in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Take home predictive modeling assignment on lending data.   1 Answer

Lead DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

1. Recruiter call - basic information, JD etc..
    2. Telephonic call - Technical - Focus on technological stack, skill sets, programming languages
    3. Onsite - met 3 different sets of people and lastly hiring manager -, 2 interviewers in every round.
    1st Interview - Sr. guy wasn't even aware of the schedule other guy turned up late like in last 5 mins and started giving 2 mins for every questions he asked, 1st guy was waiting for 2nd guy and 2nd guy wasn't there at all during the time period.

2nd Interview- Both interviewers were interested in chatting within themselves and then suddenly one asks a question, gave different approaches but he didn't seem to be convinced.

3rd Interview - The best, at least they turned up on time and had a good discussion with them asked various questions on build, deployment processes etc..

4th Interview - Hiring Manager - just about the role and area the hiring that's going on.

Interview Questions

• 1. Experience on AWS and Perforce
      2. Project Architecture