Symantec Interview Questions in California | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 8, 2017

2.9

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First got a phone screen call from an engineer, who was really friendly and I actually really enjoyed that call. She wasn't just a recruiter saying how great it is to work there, but we talked about various technical topics, from her asking questions and me asking her questions about her work.
    Then the next week it was two back-to-back onsite interviews with two engineers both on the team I was interviewing for. Basic whiteboarding questions. First interviewer was really cool

Interview Questions

• Asked me about an NES emulator I worked on (from my resume)   Answer Question

Security, Technology, and Response (STAR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave my resume to a friend and he referred me to the STAR internship director. I got an email within a couple weeks for scheduling a phone screen. The phone screen lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer first talked about what the STAR program is, what Symantec does, and what interns work on. Then he asked basic C++ questions. Mostly dealing with data structures and definitions, only one simple algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• - How is Python different from C++? Advantages and disadvantages of each language, when you would use either language.

- What is a namespace in C++?
      - When would you create your own namespace? If you did, what/how would that help you and which functionalities could you add?
      - Name all situations when the double colon :: used in C++?
      - What is a protected variable in C++ classes?
      - Passing by value vs passing by reference
      - If I need to pass by reference but still have the variable’s value be intact, what would I do? (const keyword)
      - Algorithms: If I have an array of integers, what is the fastest way to find the largest integer in the array?
      Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interviews, one with the Director of Symantec Cyber Security, the other with a Senior Data Scientist. Then a lengthy take home assignment doing some predictive modeling on lending data.

I did well enough on the phone interviews to get to the take home test stage. I'm fine with take home tests and completed the take home test in one week, the allotted time frame. Feedback on the take home test was that I "did very well".

Then a week later I hear back from the group letting me know that they were looking for someone with more data science experience. I have 4+ year of experience in data science and 20+ years of experience in tech overall.

The group could have made this decision just based on the initial phone screens instead of wasting one week of my time with a take home assignment. That's what really pissed me off - the asymmetry between how much time a candidate spends on the interview process and how much the company spends.

If the Symantec Cyber Security group treats potential employees this way with a blatant disregard for their time, how will actual employees be treated? How much politics and BS are inside the company, making for a toxic work environment where you can't get any honest, straight answers?

Avoid the Symantec Cyber Security group, there are a lot better data science groups & companies to work with in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Take home predictive modeling assignment on lending data.   1 Answer

Lead DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

1. Recruiter call - basic information, JD etc..
    2. Telephonic call - Technical - Focus on technological stack, skill sets, programming languages
    3. Onsite - met 3 different sets of people and lastly hiring manager -, 2 interviewers in every round.
    1st Interview - Sr. guy wasn't even aware of the schedule other guy turned up late like in last 5 mins and started giving 2 mins for every questions he asked, 1st guy was waiting for 2nd guy and 2nd guy wasn't there at all during the time period.

2nd Interview- Both interviewers were interested in chatting within themselves and then suddenly one asks a question, gave different approaches but he didn't seem to be convinced.

3rd Interview - The best, at least they turned up on time and had a good discussion with them asked various questions on build, deployment processes etc..

4th Interview - Hiring Manager - just about the role and area the hiring that's going on.

Interview Questions

• 1. Experience on AWS and Perforce
      2. Project Architecture
      3. Replace all occurrence of a string in all directories
      4. Few live scenarios in devOps - build/deployments
      Answer Question

Associate Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an initial screening interview with a recruiter at Symantec. It was actually more substantive than many screening interviews that I have had. They went in detail about the position, asked about my experience, and gave me questions about how I would handle certain matters and questions on what important I believed were the major provisions in a licensing agreement. It went fairly well and I was notified at the end of the screening interview that I would be scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. My interview with the hiring manager went well also. There was a good balance of substantive questions and discussion mixed with personal questions. I thought I had a great conversation with the hiring manager and the person seemed like someone I could enjoy working for. I had mixed feelings at the end of the interview though, because even though I believed the the hiring manager thought I was qualified for the position, my role at my current company was more of a generalist and did not solely focus on the responsibilities that were required of the position I was interviewing for (even though I handled those responsibilities daily in my current role), so that the hiring manager may have not felt I was a perfect fit. I was pleasantly surprised that I was contacted by the recruiter for on-site interview with multiple members of the team. But when I replied to confirm the day and time, I was met with an email that stated that they actually were going to interview more candidates and put me on hold (even though I was already given a hard date for the on-site interview). I was told I was still was definitely under consideration, but would not do the on-site interview the following week as originally anticipated. I followed up one more time and was told that I was still under consideration but that they moved forward with other candidates (I assumed with the in-person interview I was supposed to have). It was very disappointing and not very professional (according to my personal opinion). I did appreciate not having my time wasted with the on-site interview if I was no longer a serious candidate, but was annoyed at how it was handled, as well as at least having the courtesy of letting me know that they went with another candidate. I would have appreciated a final email to provide closure.

Interview Questions

• What key provisions do you encounter when negotiating licensing agreement?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

They offered me about 10 days to prepare and gave me a 30-min long phone screen. First, some behavior Qs and then, data structure, tree and LL, and also some brief Qs about time complexity. The last thing is coding challenge as I said below.

Interview Questions

• Coding:Output the comments in a Java file   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Symantec (San Diego, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by Email to fix a time and date for the phone interview. The interview was nice and the person taking it was my potential manager. He was very polite and helpful and the phone interview lasted 40 mins. He told me I would be contacted in a week with the progress, but after not receiving anything for 2 weeks, I emailed them. I was then told that they had moved on to other candidates.

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Have a phone screening with HR
    2. Have a technical screening with a software engineer with google doc coding
    3. Onsite interview, technical questions with 4 engineers in 4 sessions last about 4 hours
    4. Rejection email receive after I got home

Interview Questions

• How would you Design a map similar to google map. Python questions. parallel programming/thread questions. QA testing method   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied on the school career fair and talked with their head recruiter. I did a simple coding test and about two weeks later I received an email from one of their techinical department manager to arrange an one hour phone interview. Now I am still waiting for the feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview. I talked with one technical department manager and he mainly asked me about problems and basic concepts in sql. Questions are like how to select data with common features.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I'm a current Symantec employee. The interview was extremely disorganized. It's ironic that my colleagues and I interviewed at companies like Google, Amazon, and Facebook and got offers from them but are not qualified to work at our own company.

Interview Questions

• Random questions unrelated to the job description (Java required). Very old school, asking about C/C++ memory malloc, storage alternatives to DBs, RAM, etc. They just wanted to argue without following a logical explanation for an answer.   Answer Question