Symantec Interview Questions in Culver City, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 8, 2017

3.2

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First got a phone screen call from an engineer, who was really friendly and I actually really enjoyed that call. She wasn't just a recruiter saying how great it is to work there, but we talked about various technical topics, from her asking questions and me asking her questions about her work.
    Then the next week it was two back-to-back onsite interviews with two engineers both on the team I was interviewing for. Basic whiteboarding questions. First interviewer was really cool

Interview Questions

• Asked me about an NES emulator I worked on (from my resume)   Answer Question

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Have a phone screening with HR
    2. Have a technical screening with a software engineer with google doc coding
    3. Onsite interview, technical questions with 4 engineers in 4 sessions last about 4 hours
    4. Rejection email receive after I got home

Interview Questions

• How would you Design a map similar to google map. Python questions. parallel programming/thread questions. QA testing method   Answer Question

Java Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First they sent an online coding problem to be completed within 24 hours. I worked very hard on this designing and perfecting it, and they liked the result and decided to do a technical phone screen. They said they wanted the phone screen on a certain day but didn't finalize the time so I sat home all day waiting for nothing. They finally gave me an exact day and time, but then postponed it again! Finally they called--but it was not the person the recruiter told me to expect so I started off feeling rattled. He asked me about my history a little but didn't seem interested. Then he went on to questions in a shared document. The interview took 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The online coding test was a vending machine scenario. It had kind of strange, very specific requirements and input and output was via text files.   1 Answer
    • Several questions about Java Strings. He showed some string equalities and I was to answer whether the equalities were true or false.   Answer Question
    • He gave me a java algorithm to code. I don't remember what it was but it was something to do with prime numbers.   Answer Question
    • He asked if I knew any design patterns.   Answer Question

SQA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA).

Interview

6 to 7 rounds. Initial rounds with employees of supervisor level. then you get bumped to interview with managers. Tech rounds are not very hard. Basic data structures, simple coding and clear explanations are required.

Interview Questions

• Code to identify if the tree has mirror nodes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I had an 1 hour on-site interview with two people. They are friendly and ask all about technical software questions. The first guy asked some concepts about object-oriented programming and a small class design. The second guy gave me two coding questions and asked me to write on the white board. The questions were not hard at all, but you should get used of writing code on a board.

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. Got a call for technical interview initially. After that had another round of technical interview. Finally a HR round. The whole process took around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The questions were specific to the team I was being interviewed for
      1. Basic java and C++ ( checked vs unchecked exception, usage of volatile keyword )
      2. Multithreading related questions
      3. Singleton design pattern
      4. Multiprocessor related scenario based question
      5. Question from the resume - mostly about previous projects
      6. Security related questions - virus, worms, IDS, firewall
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Met a recruiter at my school's career fair. He sent me an email a few days later asking to schedule a 30-45 minute technical interview. I scheduled the interview for a few weeks after the email was sent-- all coding questions (3 or them): one on implementing a stack with template, one on trees, one about parenthesis checking (also stack). Coded in C++ on collabedit.

Moved on to on-site interview: mostly conceptual questions about polymorphism, classes, and data structures. Got phone call a few days later saying I made it through, and HR contacted me the following week. Took about 2 weeks to finalize offer.

Total time taken to finalize things after the initial phone interview: ~3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Question about malloc, free, realloc (more C like terms)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did no negotiate. First time applying for internships (inexperienced), offer was competitive.

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

On site interview consisting of several programming questions done on white board. The interview was with several different people and involved a question in your desired language with each person. The entire process was about 2 hours long and was scheduled at a time convenient for me. Parking is provided.

Interview Questions

• How to determine the time of a clock based on the angles of the hands.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview followed a few days later by a technical phone interview.

About 2 weeks after the technical phone interview, I had a onsite interview that consisted of another behavioral phone interview and 3 technical interviews.

The interview process was moderately challenging, but fair, and I liked the people I met.

About 6 weeks after my onsite interview I hadn't heard anything from Symantec, so I contacted them and was told someone would get back to me. Another 2 weeks go by, and I made another attempt to contact them, and got the same answer.

About 4 months later, the status of my application on the Symantec jobs website changed to “No Longer Under Consideration”. I was never contacted by anyone after my onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical phone interview consisted mostly of testing my knowledge of C++. The onsite interviews were mostly design questions.   Answer Question

SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me regarding open position at Symantec. The recruiter worked quickly to set up 1 phone screenings and quickly move to an onsite interview. Everything was done in less than a week. Everything was pretty standard in terms of questioning. Coding exercises, data structure, algorithm, basic demonstrations and verbal descriptions of software solutions was chiefly the way to go. The team that I interviewed with was very supportive too. It was one of the quickest interview I ever had and the interviewer was easy to talk with

Interview Questions

• asked if I liked to play games, and what games.. how would you develop + test it..   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation