Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2017

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The worst experience I had till now is Symantec. Save your time by not applying to this company. Recruiters called me and we had initial discussion. First round was a call with hiring manager who asked decent amount of sensible questions. Then was onsite round. Reached Symantec HQ 10 minutes before interview time and first interviewer was late by 20 minutes. SERIOUSLY !!!!!! If candidate is late, its a negative point but what happens when interviewer is late???? First interview was design question and while I was explaining approach, interviewer was on phone with probably using whatsapp. I had to explain him approach twice at each point. Then had coding rounds. All went fine. Now is the worst part. Not hearing back from Recruiter after following up multiple times. What happens if candidate signs offer and don't show up on first day ? He is blacklisted in company records !!! Probably !!! Probably NOT !!!! But Symantec is blacklisted in my list of companies now. ALL THE BEST SYMANTEC for such a culture.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. Quite basic problems about Linux (some basic commands), algorithms (such as binary search tree, Big O of data structure) and some coding in Python (simple task of processing file).

Interview Questions

• Write a Python script that removes all comments from a cpp file   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Interview

Got a call to schedule interview and asked few HR questions then was a Webex interview - some technical issues so ended up being phone interview and shared screen with collabEdit to code

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Got a call through referral for Norton Unit. I scheduled it for after a week. The phone call lasted for about 30 minutes, only technical questions were asked. Topics were based on Java, OOPS, and SQL.

Interview Questions

• Was questioned on Java, OOPS, SQL and about one project in my resume. Which data structures did you use? Why?   Answer Question

Star Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Met an engineer at career fair and was invited for a telephonic interview by a recruiter a few days later. Two weeks after the initial interview, was then invited for a pending on-site interview. The process was relatively straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What is a namespace? What does the protected keyword mean in C++?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview, one telephonic call and the other was an onsite. After clearing the telephonic interview I was called for onsite interview. Onsite had 4 technical rounds 45 minutes each and 1 HR round. The technical rounds were really heavy and they possibly asked me everything that could be asked. HR round was lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Call: General Resume Questions, discussions on project.
      Was asked to write a code to reverse a sentence, eg Weather is good today to today good is weather. The code had to be written on a google drive, where I was evaluated on my coding style and thinking skills.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 1: 45 minutes - I was asked to write code on a whiteboard to traverse a binary tree recursively.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 2: 45 minutes
      1) What is the difference between mutex and semaphores?
      2) Given different scenarios and asked whether a deadlock can occur in these situations.
      3) What scheduling policies does Linux use? Is this the best scheduling policy?
      4) What is the difference peer to peer communication and server to client communication? Also the advantages and disadvantages.
      5) How does a system call work in Linux? Explain the whole workflow?
      6) How interprocess communication take place?
      7) How do you ensure there is no deadlock and livelock, explain all the algorithms you know.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 3: 45 Minutes
      Asked a system design question. Clients requests were changed and was tested how I handle them.
      So the question was there are 1000 users , they send queries to server. The server has to provide service by implementing three functions.   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 4: Print filesystem in a specific order.
      eg /usr
                 /abc
                 /mno/cat
          /pqr
               /rst

How would I implement this structure?

2) How would you implement generic variable data types in Java?
      3) What is encapsulation, inheritance, and abstraction?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I met Symantec recruiters during career fair at my university. Some weeks later I got an email to solve a problem online. After succesfully solving the problem we scheduled an online interview.

Interview Questions

• The task was to generate all possible permutations of a string.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

panel interview. was asked very general questions nothing specific. According to one of the panel representatives they made it seem like I had done a very good job in the interview. I never heard back after that. When I called to check on the application the manager seemed surprised that I had not heard anything from the recruiter yet. It took another 2 weeks before I heard that I did not get the job.

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Awesome stuff. I loved every minute of it. I couldn't be happier. I would interview here. Awesome stuff. I loved every minute of it. I couldn't be happier. I would interview here.