Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

first hiring manager give me a phone screen with questions on basic Java Programming skills, after a couple days, invited me onsite and did 3 - 4 round in-person interviews. asked questions about the work experience and architect design , Algorithm Design and Data Structure Design..and with Spring Framework techs. and after around 1 week , got the final decision.

Interview Questions

• Spring framework and Algorithm with Java Programming skills   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec (Draper, UT).

Interview

The interview process I believe consisted of at least one technical interview and one interview in person with a group of 4-5 people. There may have been another short phone calls in the process with the recruiter.

I received an offer but the "base salary" was exactly what I was already making!! If you're going to make an offer, make it enticing enough to leave a current position. I also suggest that recruiter who never even met you in person, shouldn't be the one handing out or making an offer, it should be the supervisor/manager that the employee will be reporting to.

Hint to another potential employees applying, don't tell them your current salary. They'll use it against you, simply tell them your expected range of pay, nothing else pay-wise.

Interview Questions

• Asked have you ever disagreed with a coworker and how was that handled?   Answer Question

Cyber Security Engineer Interview

Interview

Landed an Interview from career fair of University, It went on for 40 minutes where I got technical questions on Networking and linux. I did not get the offer but the experience was great all in all

Interview Questions

• Mostly Linux based and networking questions- DHCP snooping etc.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

The interview for the PM role was mostly conducted by engineers who were not qualified to determine whether or not I was a good fit for the role. The questions were mostly random and technical in nature.

Interview Questions

• How would you rearchitect the SSIM solution from Symantec.   Answer Question

Outside Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Frisco, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

13 interview calls.....13!!! Then an in person presentation. The interviewers couldn't keep a scheduled call time, even though a calendar invite was sent and accepted. On three separate occasions, the scheduled call didn't even take place because they didn't call. I would wait until about 10 minutes after and then email everyone concerned, copying the internal recruiter. Sometimes I would get a call a few minutes later, sometimes I would get some excuse for missing the call via email, in response.
    Out of the 13 calls, 3 were on time and stayed within the time allotted. The 4th call was with a sales rep who called almost an hour before the scheduled call, telling me he didn't want to run over lunch time. I just happened to answer the phone while sitting at my desk. I had to scramble to get away from my coworkers so they wouldn't hear. I finally made it downstairs to talk to the guy. Zero respect for my time, situation or rather or not I was willing to take the call at a different time than agreed.
    The technical interview was given in such a way that no matter how you answered, you were made to feel like you didn't answer correctly. At the end, Im told "it seems like you've poked a server a few times with a stick until you got it to work." - I've been in IT for 20 years. He could have been kidding, but I really couldn't tell.
    After weeks on end of these phone calls, I get an in person presentation interview. The product given was an endpoint product and I was assigned a "mentor" to ask questions of, clarify, etc. I was given about 5 days to prep with this mentor for presentation on said product. It took almost 3 days to get access to the console of the product. I finally went and downloaded a trial of the product, installed it myself and called him with a few technical questions. I got the answers and with the slide deck provided, put together my presentation. Everything went well, it almost seemed a little too easy but I was admittedly nervous. One of the take aways from the meeting was that I was not "still" in my chair when presenting. Nervous energy Im assuming.
    I specifically asked at the end of the interview when they would be (finally) filling this position, what is the target date for hire? Given the glowing feedback, the 13 calls and now in person presentation, when they told me I would know "for sure" by Friday, this was a Tuesday that I presented. I thought this would finally all be over in a few days, win-lose or draw.
    That Friday came and went with no word, so at the end of the day I emailed asking for a status update and didn't receive a response until the following Monday, saying that they are moving some things around internally and to "sit tight", an answer would be forthcoming. I waited several more days and emailed again, explaining that I was also interviewing for an internal position and that I didn't have the luxury of waiting any longer for a response. I thought surely they weren't going to just go silent after all these calls over weeks and weeks. Several hours later I finally got a response that they didn't have the head count they originally thought they had and therefore couldn't make an offer, again praised the presentation but at the end of the day, had to go a different direction.
    In the end, I wasted almost 6 weeks of my life and 1 PTO day from work for this presentation, all for a position they weren't allowed to OR were never going to hire for to begin with. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT!!
    IF YOU ARE MORE THAN 6 INTERVIEWS INTO THIS PROCESS, START ASKING ABOUT TIME FRAMES AND IF THEY REMAIN VAGUE- RUN, DONT WALK AWAY!

Interview Questions

• How many layers in the OSI model?   1 Answer
    • If you cant access the web console for a server, how would you troubleshoot?   1 Answer

Inside Solutions Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Plano, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

The process went super fast--I'm talking 1 week! On Friday, I had my screening call with the recruiter, then a couple hours later I had a call with the hiring manager. The next Tuesday, I had my tech screen. Then on Thursday I had my onsite interview. Today (Friday), I was extended an offer!

Cloud Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Symantec (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online and two days later I received a list of questions from a recruiter. It seemed like they were interested.
    I took my time to respont to each questions at my best. A few hours latee I received an email back saying that I dont meet the requirements. Would that be decided by my resume!???? This is stupid and disrepctful to the candidate time. Bad very bad recruiting!

Senior Ops Manager Interview

Interview

Great experience. Very friendly environment. Smart people. Overall I felt very comfortable. Just some schedualing changes, but nothing that would impact my trip to the on-site. They took me to Mountainview from Seattle in one day. Schedule was tight but it worked well for a one day trip.

Interview Questions

• Focus a lot on culture, and my motives to work in Symantec. Leaderships skills were also strongly tested.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online through referral . Had 3 rounds as below, over 5 weeks.
    1. Recruiter screening
    2. Hiring manager via Phone
    3. Peer interview in person at Symantec HQ in Mountain View

Have not heard any feedback from the company yet after my 3rd interview which was two weeks back, as of date!! How very unprofessional of Symantec !!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

first introducing yourself and brief some of your projects on the resume. The next are some basic algorithm questions and some questions about java and design pattern. The process is overall smooth.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in February 2018.

Interview

After online application, received contact from a recruiter for a phone screen interview to find out my interest in the position and if I was right for the job. Call was pleasant and lasted about 30-45 min.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience fit into this role?   1 Answer