Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2018

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Software QA Interview

Interview

The first step in the interview process is to get shortlisted for interview. The Screening Interview. The First Round Interview. Multiple round of technical interview as per job requirement. The Job Offer and Background Check

Outside Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Frisco, TX) in March 2018.

Interview

13 interview calls.....13!!! Then an in person presentation. The interviewers couldn't keep a scheduled call time, even though a calendar invite was sent and accepted. On three separate occasions, the scheduled call didn't even take place because they didn't call. I would wait until about 10 minutes after and then email everyone concerned, copying the internal recruiter. Sometimes I would get a call a few minutes later, sometimes I would get some excuse for missing the call via email, in response.
    Out of the 13 calls, 3 were on time and stayed within the time allotted. The 4th call was with a sales rep who called almost an hour before the scheduled call, telling me he didn't want to run over lunch time. I just happened to answer the phone while sitting at my desk. I had to scramble to get away from my coworkers so they wouldn't hear. I finally made it downstairs to talk to the guy. Zero respect for my time, situation or rather or not I was willing to take the call at a different time than agreed.
    The technical interview was given in such a way that no matter how you answered, you were made to feel like you didn't answer correctly. At the end, Im told "it seems like you've poked a server a few times with a stick until you got it to work." - I've been in IT for 20 years. He could have been kidding, but I really couldn't tell.
    After weeks on end of these phone calls, I get an in person presentation interview. The product given was an endpoint product and I was assigned a "mentor" to ask questions of, clarify, etc. I was given about 5 days to prep with this mentor for presentation on said product. It took almost 3 days to get access to the console of the product. I finally went and downloaded a trial of the product, installed it myself and called him with a few technical questions. I got the answers and with the slide deck provided, put together my presentation. Everything went well, it almost seemed a little too easy but I was admittedly nervous. One of the take aways from the meeting was that I was not "still" in my chair when presenting. Nervous energy Im assuming.
    I specifically asked at the end of the interview when they would be (finally) filling this position, what is the target date for hire? Given the glowing feedback, the 13 calls and now in person presentation, when they told me I would know "for sure" by Friday, this was a Tuesday that I presented. I thought this would finally all be over in a few days, win-lose or draw.
    That Friday came and went with no word, so at the end of the day I emailed asking for a status update and didn't receive a response until the following Monday, saying that they are moving some things around internally and to "sit tight", an answer would be forthcoming. I waited several more days and emailed again, explaining that I was also interviewing for an internal position and that I didn't have the luxury of waiting any longer for a response. I thought surely they weren't going to just go silent after all these calls over weeks and weeks. Several hours later I finally got a response that they didn't have the head count they originally thought they had and therefore couldn't make an offer, again praised the presentation but at the end of the day, had to go a different direction.
    In the end, I wasted almost 6 weeks of my life and 1 PTO day from work for this presentation, all for a position they weren't allowed to OR were never going to hire for to begin with. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT!!
    IF YOU ARE MORE THAN 6 INTERVIEWS INTO THIS PROCESS, START ASKING ABOUT TIME FRAMES AND IF THEY REMAIN VAGUE- RUN, DONT WALK AWAY!

Interview Questions

• How many layers in the OSI model?   1 Answer
    • If you cant access the web console for a server, how would you troubleshoot?   1 Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Newark, NJ) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online for a sales role in Canada. The recruiter was from New Jersey.
    The process was an online questionnaire with a follow up email.
    They asked several unethical, archaic, and illegal questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary? Do you have an offer in hand and what is that offer in terms of salary?   1 Answer

Contract Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

4 rounds

first was simple javascript and google maps api

next was a databases sql round ( thats where my experience is so I guess interviewer asked me what I know)

Next roun algos - wanted best solutions
    array with duplicates . Remove thme in one pass
    array with numbers find all pairs that add up to 50
    swap 2 number s( use Xor method)
    regex for ip address

next was a linked lists round

last was perl tough coz i didnt know perl too weelll

looked for syntax and also very specific things

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Received the first call from on-campus career fair recruiter.
    Interviewed by two people in the first phone screen. Initially asked my profile and resume and two coding questions on google docs.

Q) Merging k list of sorted array - Priority Queue related question
    Q) Simple synchronization questions

Then I was called on-site for a couple of rounds. First round was simple all resume related questions and given a boggle game of letters arranged from A-Y in say 5*5 matrix and given a word find the path to trace the word and print it.
    Second round was more on Java related questions of garbage collection vs C++/C memory deletion and invalid memory reference problem. Solved a question on LinkedList. Also, use of locks and synchronization in any language like Java. Diff b/w HashMap and HashTable. How would you use Hashtable in a distributed systems (basically semaphore or locking mechanism on entire table or each row -pros and cons of each).
    Other rounds were general questions like what all programming languages do you know and pros and cons of each. Diff b/w SQL and NoSQL. One database related question.
    Behavioral question say given a situation where your parents arrive to US after a long time and you need to pick them up and roam around with them. Suddenly, something important comes up in your work and your manager assigns you a new task what should you do? - Convince your manager to postpone it or give it to someone else explaining the situation or ask for help from your team-members. These were the two expected solutions
    All questions were from glassdoor comments so do review all of them

Interview Questions

• Priority Queue and LinkedList related question
      basics of C/C++ since I was a Java guy   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Symantec came to our college for campus placements. So here's are the details:
    1. Conducted an mcq+coding test on Hackerrank(or Hackerearth, not sure) from which they shortlisted about 5 students for the next round.
    2. The next rounds were conducted in the Baner campus of Symantec Pune.
    3. There were a total of 3 technical rounds and 1 HR. The last tech round was with the tech director/lead.
    4. The technical rounds go into the depth of topics in which you've rated yourself well. My first 2 tech rounds lasted for about 90-120 minutes each. Lots of detailed core CS questions asked.
    4.1 Surprisingly I was asked no advanced data structure questions were asked. Just the basic stuff like reversing linked lists, etc. But other students were asked quite probing DS questions.
    4.2 So I think if your concepts about OS, oop, networks and programing are a bit weak the interview veers towards more of data structures.
    5. Over all it took about 5-6 hours for the entire process of interviews and it tested me on all aspects of CS. So it was a great experience. Not too hard if your basics are sound.

Interview Questions

• System concepts: Memory Management, practical aspects of it in C , storage concepts, etc
      OOP questions in detail with code.
      linked list, trees basics   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN).

Interview

The process was very short. I spoke on the phone with the recruiter and he scheduled an in person interview. I met with the hiring manager and then three engineers after that. There was a mix of technical, logical, and behavioral questions. I was offered the job later in the same week.

Interview Questions

• Database query questions along with create a function that...   Answer Question

Application

Interview

1 phone screen - C++ and OOP basics
    4 interviews onsite - C++, OOP basics, simple programs like reverse a string, analytical thinking questions like design a rubiks cube, testing oriented questions

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview was mostly based on my resume, describing the projects i worked on in graduate school and the challenges that went with it. It was a friendly interview and lasted only 1 hour.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they did not have any wriggle room.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Interview

HR called me to inform a online test and it takes 2 hrs with 6 questions. including sql,debug,coding. each problem with long description. you need some time to read it and understand what they need.
    2 about SQL 1 debug 2 codeing, 1 unknown and i failed to pass the online judge.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in December 2011.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview from HR followed by 2 on-site interviews. Both interviews were with a panel of people. The first was non-technical interview mostly based off my resume and interests. The second was technical - answering a few basic computer science questions as well as writing pseudocode for "fizz buzz" program as well as writing pseudocode for a sort algorithm.

Interview Questions

• writing pseudocode for a sort algorithm was probably the most difficult question as I was about 8 years out of college and the last time I looked at writing such an algorithm. Thankfully I always remember quicksort.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate because the salary offer was good. In hindsight, I should have tried to negotiate a sign-on bonus.