Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 27, 2018

1. Featured Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

first hiring manager give me a phone screen with questions on basic Java Programming skills, after a couple days, invited me onsite and did 3 - 4 round in-person interviews. asked questions about the work experience and architect design , Algorithm Design and Data Structure Design..and with Spring Framework techs. and after around 1 week , got the final decision.

Interview Questions

• Spring framework and Algorithm with Java Programming skills   Answer Question

Contract Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

4 rounds

first was simple javascript and google maps api

next was a databases sql round ( thats where my experience is so I guess interviewer asked me what I know)

Next roun algos - wanted best solutions
    array with duplicates . Remove thme in one pass
    array with numbers find all pairs that add up to 50
    swap 2 number s( use Xor method)
    regex for ip address

next was a linked lists round

last was perl tough coz i didnt know perl too weelll

looked for syntax and also very specific things

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Received the first call from on-campus career fair recruiter.
    Interviewed by two people in the first phone screen. Initially asked my profile and resume and two coding questions on google docs.

Q) Merging k list of sorted array - Priority Queue related question
    Q) Simple synchronization questions

Then I was called on-site for a couple of rounds. First round was simple all resume related questions and given a boggle game of letters arranged from A-Y in say 5*5 matrix and given a word find the path to trace the word and print it.
    Second round was more on Java related questions of garbage collection vs C++/C memory deletion and invalid memory reference problem. Solved a question on LinkedList. Also, use of locks and synchronization in any language like Java. Diff b/w HashMap and HashTable. How would you use Hashtable in a distributed systems (basically semaphore or locking mechanism on entire table or each row -pros and cons of each).
    Other rounds were general questions like what all programming languages do you know and pros and cons of each. Diff b/w SQL and NoSQL. One database related question.
    Behavioral question say given a situation where your parents arrive to US after a long time and you need to pick them up and roam around with them. Suddenly, something important comes up in your work and your manager assigns you a new task what should you do? - Convince your manager to postpone it or give it to someone else explaining the situation or ask for help from your team-members. These were the two expected solutions
    All questions were from glassdoor comments so do review all of them

Interview Questions

• Priority Queue and LinkedList related question
      basics of C/C++ since I was a Java guy   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Symantec came to our college for campus placements. So here's are the details:
    1. Conducted an mcq+coding test on Hackerrank(or Hackerearth, not sure) from which they shortlisted about 5 students for the next round.
    2. The next rounds were conducted in the Baner campus of Symantec Pune.
    3. There were a total of 3 technical rounds and 1 HR. The last tech round was with the tech director/lead.
    4. The technical rounds go into the depth of topics in which you've rated yourself well. My first 2 tech rounds lasted for about 90-120 minutes each. Lots of detailed core CS questions asked.
    4.1 Surprisingly I was asked no advanced data structure questions were asked. Just the basic stuff like reversing linked lists, etc. But other students were asked quite probing DS questions.
    4.2 So I think if your concepts about OS, oop, networks and programing are a bit weak the interview veers towards more of data structures.
    5. Over all it took about 5-6 hours for the entire process of interviews and it tested me on all aspects of CS. So it was a great experience. Not too hard if your basics are sound.

Interview Questions

• System concepts: Memory Management, practical aspects of it in C , storage concepts, etc
      OOP questions in detail with code.
      linked list, trees basics   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN).

Interview

The process was very short. I spoke on the phone with the recruiter and he scheduled an in person interview. I met with the hiring manager and then three engineers after that. There was a mix of technical, logical, and behavioral questions. I was offered the job later in the same week.

Interview Questions

• Database query questions along with create a function that...   Answer Question

Application

Interview

1 phone screen - C++ and OOP basics
    4 interviews onsite - C++, OOP basics, simple programs like reverse a string, analytical thinking questions like design a rubiks cube, testing oriented questions

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in December 2009.

Interview

The interview was mostly based on my resume, describing the projects i worked on in graduate school and the challenges that went with it. It was a friendly interview and lasted only 1 hour.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate but they did not have any wriggle room.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Interview

HR called me to inform a online test and it takes 2 hrs with 6 questions. including sql,debug,coding. each problem with long description. you need some time to read it and understand what they need.
    2 about SQL 1 debug 2 codeing, 1 unknown and i failed to pass the online judge.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in December 2011.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview from HR followed by 2 on-site interviews. Both interviews were with a panel of people. The first was non-technical interview mostly based off my resume and interests. The second was technical - answering a few basic computer science questions as well as writing pseudocode for "fizz buzz" program as well as writing pseudocode for a sort algorithm.

Interview Questions

• writing pseudocode for a sort algorithm was probably the most difficult question as I was about 8 years out of college and the last time I looked at writing such an algorithm. Thankfully I always remember quicksort.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate because the salary offer was good. In hindsight, I should have tried to negotiate a sign-on bonus.

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Herndon, VA) in December 2011.

Interview

I had one on-campus interview. It was all about my resume and projects that I have worked on. There were 2 guys, one of them was asking me questions and the other one was making notes. Nothing much of technical in the first round. Then they called me on-site to their Alexandria, VA branch, I had 4 technical rounds. you have to write code on whiteboard. They want to assess your thought process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

In the beginning as soon as you hear from them with the offer, I don't think you can negotiate.. Once you start talking to them with the possibilities and if they know that you are really interested and excited about this offer and you are for sure accepting the offer, they will consider increasing the base salary to some extent.

Associate Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an initial screening interview with a recruiter at Symantec. It was actually more substantive than many screening interviews that I have had. They went in detail about the position, asked about my experience, and gave me questions about how I would handle certain matters and questions on what important I believed were the major provisions in a licensing agreement. It went fairly well and I was notified at the end of the screening interview that I would be scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. My interview with the hiring manager went well also. There was a good balance of substantive questions and discussion mixed with personal questions. I thought I had a great conversation with the hiring manager and the person seemed like someone I could enjoy working for. I had mixed feelings at the end of the interview though, because even though I believed the the hiring manager thought I was qualified for the position, my role at my current company was more of a generalist and did not solely focus on the responsibilities that were required of the position I was interviewing for (even though I handled those responsibilities daily in my current role), so that the hiring manager may have not felt I was a perfect fit. I was pleasantly surprised that I was contacted by the recruiter for on-site interview with multiple members of the team. But when I replied to confirm the day and time, I was met with an email that stated that they actually were going to interview more candidates and put me on hold (even though I was already given a hard date for the on-site interview). I was told I was still was definitely under consideration, but would not do the on-site interview the following week as originally anticipated. I followed up one more time and was told that I was still under consideration but that they moved forward with other candidates (I assumed with the in-person interview I was supposed to have). It was very disappointing and not very professional (according to my personal opinion). I did appreciate not having my time wasted with the on-site interview if I was no longer a serious candidate, but was annoyed at how it was handled, as well as at least having the courtesy of letting me know that they went with another candidate. I would have appreciated a final email to provide closure.

Interview Questions

• What key provisions do you encounter when negotiating licensing agreement?   Answer Question