Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated May 25, 2017

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Got a call through referral for Norton Unit. I scheduled it for after a week. The phone call lasted for about 30 minutes, only technical questions were asked. Topics were based on Java, OOPS, and SQL.

Interview Questions

• Was questioned on Java, OOPS, SQL and about one project in my resume. Which data structures did you use? Why?   Answer Question

Star Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Met an engineer at career fair and was invited for a telephonic interview by a recruiter a few days later. Two weeks after the initial interview, was then invited for a pending on-site interview. The process was relatively straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What is a namespace? What does the protected keyword mean in C++?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Long day of interviews with 5 people (an hour each) asking you to code something on a whiteboard. Some of the interviewees barely even greeted you, just rushed into asking you to code in a condescending manner (perhaps it's a cultural thing as most of them were south Asians). I was offered no breaks between interviewers, and only one person offered me the chance to get some water.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview, one telephonic call and the other was an onsite. After clearing the telephonic interview I was called for onsite interview. Onsite had 4 technical rounds 45 minutes each and 1 HR round. The technical rounds were really heavy and they possibly asked me everything that could be asked. HR round was lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Call: General Resume Questions, discussions on project.
      Was asked to write a code to reverse a sentence, eg Weather is good today to today good is weather. The code had to be written on a google drive, where I was evaluated on my coding style and thinking skills.
      Answer Question
    • Technical Round 1: 45 minutes - I was asked to write code on a whiteboard to traverse a binary tree recursively.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 2: 45 minutes
      1) What is the difference between mutex and semaphores?
      2) Given different scenarios and asked whether a deadlock can occur in these situations.
      3) What scheduling policies does Linux use? Is this the best scheduling policy?
      4) What is the difference peer to peer communication and server to client communication? Also the advantages and disadvantages.
      5) How does a system call work in Linux? Explain the whole workflow?
      6) How interprocess communication take place?
      7) How do you ensure there is no deadlock and livelock, explain all the algorithms you know.
    • Technical Round 3: 45 Minutes
      Asked a system design question. Clients requests were changed and was tested how I handle them.
      So the question was there are 1000 users , they send queries to server. The server has to provide service by implementing three functions.
      Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 4: Print filesystem in a specific order.
      eg /usr
                 /abc
                 /mno/cat
          /pqr
               /rst

How would I implement this structure?

2) How would you implement generic variable data types in Java?
      3) What is encapsulation, inheritance, and abstraction?

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I met Symantec recruiters during career fair at my university. Some weeks later I got an email to solve a problem online. After succesfully solving the problem we scheduled an online interview.

Interview Questions

• The task was to generate all possible permutations of a string.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

panel interview. was asked very general questions nothing specific. According to one of the panel representatives they made it seem like I had done a very good job in the interview. I never heard back after that. When I called to check on the application the manager seemed surprised that I had not heard anything from the recruiter yet. It took another 2 weeks before I heard that I did not get the job.

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Awesome stuff. I loved every minute of it. I couldn't be happier. I would interview here. Awesome stuff. I loved every minute of it. I couldn't be happier. I would interview here.

Security, Technology, and Response (STAR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave my resume to a friend and he referred me to the STAR internship director. I got an email within a couple weeks for scheduling a phone screen. The phone screen lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer first talked about what the STAR program is, what Symantec does, and what interns work on. Then he asked basic C++ questions. Mostly dealing with data structures and definitions, only one simple algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• - How is Python different from C++? Advantages and disadvantages of each language, when you would use either language.

- What is a namespace in C++?
      - When would you create your own namespace? If you did, what/how would that help you and which functionalities could you add?
      - Name all situations when the double colon :: used in C++?
      - What is a protected variable in C++ classes?
      - Passing by value vs passing by reference
      - If I need to pass by reference but still have the variable’s value be intact, what would I do? (const keyword)
      - Algorithms: If I have an array of integers, what is the fastest way to find the largest integer in the array?

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interviews, one with the Director of Symantec Cyber Security, the other with a Senior Data Scientist. Then a lengthy take home assignment doing some predictive modeling on lending data.

I did well enough on the phone interviews to get to the take home test stage. I'm fine with take home tests and completed the take home test in one week, the allotted time frame. Feedback on the take home test was that I "did very well".

Then a week later I hear back from the group letting me know that they were looking for someone with more data science experience. I have 4+ year of experience in data science and 20+ years of experience in tech overall.

The group could have made this decision just based on the initial phone screens instead of wasting one week of my time with a take home assignment. That's what really pissed me off - the asymmetry between how much time a candidate spends on the interview process and how much the company spends.

If the Symantec Cyber Security group treats potential employees this way with a blatant disregard for their time, how will actual employees be treated? How much politics and BS are inside the company, making for a toxic work environment where you can't get any honest, straight answers?

Avoid the Symantec Cyber Security group, there are a lot better data science groups & companies to work with in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Take home predictive modeling assignment on lending data.   1 Answer