Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2017

Android Developer Interview

Interview

Got a call to schedule interview and asked few HR questions then was a Webex interview - some technical issues so ended up being phone interview and shared screen with collabEdit to code

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Got a call through referral for Norton Unit. I scheduled it for after a week. The phone call lasted for about 30 minutes, only technical questions were asked. Topics were based on Java, OOPS, and SQL.

Interview Questions

• Was questioned on Java, OOPS, SQL and about one project in my resume. Which data structures did you use? Why?   Answer Question

Star Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Met an engineer at career fair and was invited for a telephonic interview by a recruiter a few days later. Two weeks after the initial interview, was then invited for a pending on-site interview. The process was relatively straightforward.

Interview Questions

• What is a namespace? What does the protected keyword mean in C++?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Long day of interviews with 5 people (an hour each) asking you to code something on a whiteboard. Some of the interviewees barely even greeted you, just rushed into asking you to code in a condescending manner (perhaps it's a cultural thing as most of them were south Asians). I was offered no breaks between interviewers, and only one person offered me the chance to get some water.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview, one telephonic call and the other was an onsite. After clearing the telephonic interview I was called for onsite interview. Onsite had 4 technical rounds 45 minutes each and 1 HR round. The technical rounds were really heavy and they possibly asked me everything that could be asked. HR round was lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Call: General Resume Questions, discussions on project.
      Was asked to write a code to reverse a sentence, eg Weather is good today to today good is weather. The code had to be written on a google drive, where I was evaluated on my coding style and thinking skills.
      Answer Question
    • Technical Round 1: 45 minutes - I was asked to write code on a whiteboard to traverse a binary tree recursively.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 2: 45 minutes
      1) What is the difference between mutex and semaphores?
      2) Given different scenarios and asked whether a deadlock can occur in these situations.
      3) What scheduling policies does Linux use? Is this the best scheduling policy?
      4) What is the difference peer to peer communication and server to client communication? Also the advantages and disadvantages.
      5) How does a system call work in Linux? Explain the whole workflow?
      6) How interprocess communication take place?
      7) How do you ensure there is no deadlock and livelock, explain all the algorithms you know.
    • Technical Round 3: 45 Minutes
      Asked a system design question. Clients requests were changed and was tested how I handle them.
      So the question was there are 1000 users , they send queries to server. The server has to provide service by implementing three functions.
      Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 4: Print filesystem in a specific order.
      eg /usr
                 /abc
                 /mno/cat
          /pqr
               /rst

How would I implement this structure?

2) How would you implement generic variable data types in Java?
      3) What is encapsulation, inheritance, and abstraction?

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

panel interview. was asked very general questions nothing specific. According to one of the panel representatives they made it seem like I had done a very good job in the interview. I never heard back after that. When I called to check on the application the manager seemed surprised that I had not heard anything from the recruiter yet. It took another 2 weeks before I heard that I did not get the job.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I met Symantec recruiters during career fair at my university. Some weeks later I got an email to solve a problem online. After succesfully solving the problem we scheduled an online interview.

Interview Questions

• The task was to generate all possible permutations of a string.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First got a phone screen call from an engineer, who was really friendly and I actually really enjoyed that call. She wasn't just a recruiter saying how great it is to work there, but we talked about various technical topics, from her asking questions and me asking her questions about her work.
    Then the next week it was two back-to-back onsite interviews with two engineers both on the team I was interviewing for. Basic whiteboarding questions. First interviewer was really cool

Interview Questions

• Asked me about an NES emulator I worked on (from my resume)   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Interview

Awesome stuff. I loved every minute of it. I couldn't be happier. I would interview here. Awesome stuff. I loved every minute of it. I couldn't be happier. I would interview here.