Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2017

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec in October 2015.

Interview

this was an over the phone screen for a full stack java position at Symantec.
    The interviewer started me off by asking really esoteric java questions (i.e. 'whats the difference between new String("foo") and "foo" ' and "how is the internal code for the "volatile" key word implemented. Some additional questions followed. Then he jumped into the coding test which he had me do on Google docs. The coding question was for me to implement my own custom HashMap from the ground up that enabled a get and a put containing a 'time to live' value. The map had to do lookups in N1 time like a normal hashmap as well as implement the time to live functionality.

I didn't do great on the coding exercise though honestly isn't implementing a specialized hashmap from scratch a lot to ask for in a phone screen (especially a phone screen from fricking Symantec)?
    There were lots of questions about synchronizing, thread locking, hibernate, and other dying technologies which gave me the impression that either Symantec is trying to build cloud-based systems on top of stateful VMs or this position involves working in deep dark legacy code.

Anyway I wrapped up the call. I don't know the outcome at the time I posted this, but regardless of the result I don't think I'll pursue.

Interview Questions

• 'whats the difference between new String("foo") and "foo" '   1 Answer
    • "how is the internal code for the "volatile" key word implemented   1 Answer

Pool Campus Drive In Pune Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (East Timor)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (East Timor)) in September 2015.

Interview

There were 1 technical aptitude round, 2-5 technical interview rounds and an HR round.
    Aptitude round comprised 2 coding and 20 MCQs which were basics. Coding had to be done in any language you were comfortable with.
    I got shortlisted and then the next day we had interviews. An interviewer among the panel, who interviewed me, was a very silly person i must tell.
    He couldnt get what answer i was giving, and was quite ignorant. He also while interviewing me gave a wrong answer to a question to which i agreed because i didnt want to argue.
    Neverthless, since his ingnorance and hence dissatisfaction with the answers i gave, i was rejected after the 1st round.

But to give an overview, the interview questions generally focuses on all the subjects you had been studying in the engineering semesters.
    All the best!

Interview Questions

• Demand paging, basics on OS, few basics on processor, java, c, oop concepts, networking, pointers, project, logical reasoning, puzzles, coding, problem solving technique   Answer Question

Principal SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in January 2011.

Interview

Multiple round of technical interview; Questions about testing methodology; concept of testing; System knowledge; windows domain knowledge; Share Exchange hands on experience; explain the projects done till date; reason for changing the current job; why did you like to work with Symantec; What is expectation from your job role.

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Tallinn (Estonia)) in June 2011.

Interview

it was hard but worth it. They were probably tired, maybe not first interview that day. I was feeling somehow pressured and that pressure did it's job, probably that's the reason i declined the job. I wasn't feeling like they will accept me.

Interview Questions

• most of questions are standard, like where you are seeing yourself in 5 years.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in February 2013.

Interview

Mostly there are two face to face Technical rounds followed by Telephonic technical round from Senior Manager Onsite and 1 HR round. Technical round are more tough as compared to telephonic rounds. HR round is just minimal about salary negiotation

Interview Questions

• manager was more interested in MVVM pattern and was interested in knowing detail knowledge on Windows System.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Sales Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec in September 2014.

Interview

Standard hiring manager interview > Situation interview with hiring manager > Technical interview with hiring manager > In-person presentation for entire sales team. The interview process was very drawn out. Usually during the interview process if you have to reschedule because of a conflict they would look into another time that day or sometime next couple days. Instead, I would be scheduled like a week later

Interview Questions

• The technical interview was almost all hardware questions. For a software company, I expected software questions, but it was the complete opposite. Know your storage hardware   Answer Question

Network Security Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec in June 2014.

Interview

2 different set of interviews. First, was a phone interview with the SOC manager. 2-3 days later i received an email inviting me for an on-site interview. The interview was set up in 3 different ways: technical, critical thinking, and behavioral. The interview lasted for 3 hours with people coming in and out of the interview room.

Interview Questions

• If you were an attacker, what are the different ways you would perform a DDoS attack?   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in September 2012.

Interview

Given 5 rounds of technical interview.
    1.Telephonic
    2.f2f interview with 2 people
    3.f2f interview with 2 people
    4. manager round
    interview was very good.after one week hr called me and said we do have some budget problem for that project.As your feedback is postive and you have cleared all the round. so please meet the another project's manager.this will not be technical round.

so i again went to their kharadi office from hinjewadi. there were again two persons one sr. dev manager and technical. it was also a technical round. I was able to give the answers of all the questions which were related to my skilsl,it includes coding and designing problem.after this they have started asking about os,memory mangmnt,semaphore. these are not my skills so i was not able to give the answers.they have also told me that you have cleared all the rounds earlier but we don't consider those and we don't know what have you been told by hr.

after 2 weeks i got the mail from hr that you r not selected.

Interview Questions

• design producer consumer prob.
      hashmap implementation
      puzzles
      write the program x the power y using recursion.
      some other programming questions
      questions on binary search tree.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, MN

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in October 2011.

Interview

Was referred to the hiring manager, contacted him, and set up an interview. Interview was 1 on 4, and consisted of mainly technical questions, also some code writing on a whiteboard, and a couple more standard questions as well. Interview went well, and they indicated they'd get an offer out to me within a couple days. One month later, an offer finally arrived, but by that time I had already accepted elsewhere. They have a nice building and nice staff, but I got the feeling that they are severely understaffed and highly stressed.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about finding the security vulnerabilities in our 2 million lines of code?   Answer Question

Took longer than promised to receive the official offer.