Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Dec 7, 2017

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interviews, one with the Director of Symantec Cyber Security, the other with a Senior Data Scientist. Then a lengthy take home assignment doing some predictive modeling on lending data.

I did well enough on the phone interviews to get to the take home test stage. I'm fine with take home tests and completed the take home test in one week, the allotted time frame. Feedback on the take home test was that I "did very well".

Then a week later I hear back from the group letting me know that they were looking for someone with more data science experience. I have 4+ year of experience in data science and 20+ years of experience in tech overall.

The group could have made this decision just based on the initial phone screens instead of wasting one week of my time with a take home assignment. That's what really pissed me off - the asymmetry between how much time a candidate spends on the interview process and how much the company spends.

If the Symantec Cyber Security group treats potential employees this way with a blatant disregard for their time, how will actual employees be treated? How much politics and BS are inside the company, making for a toxic work environment where you can't get any honest, straight answers?

Avoid the Symantec Cyber Security group, there are a lot better data science groups & companies to work with in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Take home predictive modeling assignment on lending data.   1 Answer

Senior Marketing Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2016.

Interview

phone interview with HR and then another phone interview with hiring manager then onsite. It all went well however when I went onsite, one of the person was unable to make it and they told me I still need to talk to this person via phone as make-up session. Then 2 days later they told me the team picked someone who finished the whole process. Its very disappointing that they did not finish the whole process.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Lindon, UT) in November 2016.

Interview

I've had an astoundingly positive experience with Symantec's interview process. The individuals with whom I have interacted have been professional, courteous, prompt, and respectful. In my area, that’s actually hard to come by. So this experience was enormously refreshing.

I submitted my resume for the BA position on 11/6/16. I was contacted by a recruiter about 10 days later and was asked to fill out some administrative questions such as potential start date, compensation requirements, if I lived in commuting distance from the office, just boiler plate stuff. The other set of questions was directly from the hiring manager through which my experience was assessed. Some questions about what my experience with Salesforce was, how to handle demanding stakeholders, questions more specific to the role itself. I filled them out and sent it back. The recruiter told me it would be referred to the hiring manager and I should hear back shortly about if the hiring manager would like to speak on the phone.

On 11/29, the recruiter called to schedule a time for me to chat with the hiring manager on the phone. This conversation with the hiring manager occurred a few days later and was an extremely productive conversation. It was not an interrogation as so many of these conversations seem to be nowadays. We chatted about my experience, background, and he answered all of my questions at length. He and I had what I felt was a good, candid conversation.

A couple days later, I was scheduled to chat with a member of the team. This felt more like a sign-off chat and was fairly short compared to the other call I had.

Two days later, I met in person the individuals with whom I'd be working. This again, was more of a conversation than an interrogation. It almost felt like they didn't have questions prepared, that's how seamless it was. We chatted about my background, their background, scenarios I've encountered and that they've encountered, how we handled those. The atmosphere was light enough that I felt comfortable engaging in sarcasm, which to me indicates that I'm at least a competitive culture fit. After an hour, I met with the hiring manager and we essentially had the same conversation we had on the phone, but with just a different context having now chatted with his subordinates and colleagues.

The timeline, as it stands, is for an offer to be extended sometime in early January, once they vet other candidates. Even if I do not receive an offer, there has not been a single part of this process that has been negative. Truthfully, and forgive if this sounds hyperbolic, this is one of the most professional processes I have been through. Which, if you think about it, is pretty incredible given the size of the organization and the sheer amount of applicants they likely have per requisition. The fact that they've taken the time to get to know me in depth is refreshing. Similarly, the delicacy with which they're treating this role by taking that time to get to know me and other candidates indicates a respect for this role that I haven't seen elsewhere in at least a couple years (I’ve interviewed with many organizations in the interim).

Interview Questions

• How would you handle scenarios in which people with whom you work are not providing you with the resources you need because their priorities are split between you and other stakeholders?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through university job board. Got an email after a month to schedule a telephone interview. Asked a few general questions about previous projects and three technical questions about Java.

Search Market Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Got a quick phone interview with recruiter and then schedule another phone interview w/hiring manager. I mentioned I wanted to be SEO expert but then the manager got annoyed and corrected me they were hiring SEM not SEO. Interview questions are fair enough.

Interview Questions

• How did you come up negative keywords   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Draper, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

3 technical interviews with one management interview. Mostly c and c++ programming questions, some times it will also include personality questions and architecture questions. The process is straight forward and each interview is about 1 hour each after which you go to the next one.

Senior Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Applied Online, there is a long interview process. The first interview was a written technical test. Followed by interview with Lab exercises and a test. After that there is several interviews with various levels of management or co-workers. The process can take a few weeks and can be more than 4 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to talk about or edit local security policies.   Answer Question

Lead DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

1. Recruiter call - basic information, JD etc..
    2. Telephonic call - Technical - Focus on technological stack, skill sets, programming languages
    3. Onsite - met 3 different sets of people and lastly hiring manager -, 2 interviewers in every round.
    1st Interview - Sr. guy wasn't even aware of the schedule other guy turned up late like in last 5 mins and started giving 2 mins for every questions he asked, 1st guy was waiting for 2nd guy and 2nd guy wasn't there at all during the time period.

2nd Interview- Both interviewers were interested in chatting within themselves and then suddenly one asks a question, gave different approaches but he didn't seem to be convinced.

3rd Interview - The best, at least they turned up on time and had a good discussion with them asked various questions on build, deployment processes etc..

4th Interview - Hiring Manager - just about the role and area the hiring that's going on.

Interview Questions

• 1. Experience on AWS and Perforce
      2. Project Architecture
      3. Replace all occurrence of a string in all directories
      4. Few live scenarios in devOps - build/deployments   Answer Question

Associate Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an initial screening interview with a recruiter at Symantec. It was actually more substantive than many screening interviews that I have had. They went in detail about the position, asked about my experience, and gave me questions about how I would handle certain matters and questions on what important I believed were the major provisions in a licensing agreement. It went fairly well and I was notified at the end of the screening interview that I would be scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. My interview with the hiring manager went well also. There was a good balance of substantive questions and discussion mixed with personal questions. I thought I had a great conversation with the hiring manager and the person seemed like someone I could enjoy working for. I had mixed feelings at the end of the interview though, because even though I believed the the hiring manager thought I was qualified for the position, my role at my current company was more of a generalist and did not solely focus on the responsibilities that were required of the position I was interviewing for (even though I handled those responsibilities daily in my current role), so that the hiring manager may have not felt I was a perfect fit. I was pleasantly surprised that I was contacted by the recruiter for on-site interview with multiple members of the team. But when I replied to confirm the day and time, I was met with an email that stated that they actually were going to interview more candidates and put me on hold (even though I was already given a hard date for the on-site interview). I was told I was still was definitely under consideration, but would not do the on-site interview the following week as originally anticipated. I followed up one more time and was told that I was still under consideration but that they moved forward with other candidates (I assumed with the in-person interview I was supposed to have). It was very disappointing and not very professional (according to my personal opinion). I did appreciate not having my time wasted with the on-site interview if I was no longer a serious candidate, but was annoyed at how it was handled, as well as at least having the courtesy of letting me know that they went with another candidate. I would have appreciated a final email to provide closure.

Interview Questions

• What key provisions do you encounter when negotiating licensing agreement?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

1. Phone screen with senior employees from varying teams within the department.
    2. Face-to-face skills assessment with same people that conduct the phone screen. This consists of a chat activity and an activity to determine your attention to detail. During this portion you take 2 "customer" chats at a time. One of the chats is a customer angry about their order, and the other is asking for general information that can be found on the customer's website.
    3. If you do well enough on the skills assessment, you will have a face-to-face interview with some of the supervisors.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had a difficult customer, and how you were able to resolve the issue.   Answer Question