Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Have a phone screening with HR
    2. Have a technical screening with a software engineer with google doc coding
    3. Onsite interview, technical questions with 4 engineers in 4 sessions last about 4 hours
    4. Rejection email receive after I got home

Interview Questions

• How would you Design a map similar to google map. Python questions. parallel programming/thread questions. QA testing method   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied on the school career fair and talked with their head recruiter. I did a simple coding test and about two weeks later I received an email from one of their techinical department manager to arrange an one hour phone interview. Now I am still waiting for the feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview. I talked with one technical department manager and he mainly asked me about problems and basic concepts in sql. Questions are like how to select data with common features.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I'm a current Symantec employee. The interview was extremely disorganized. It's ironic that my colleagues and I interviewed at companies like Google, Amazon, and Facebook and got offers from them but are not qualified to work at our own company.

Interview Questions

• Random questions unrelated to the job description (Java required). Very old school, asking about C/C++ memory malloc, storage alternatives to DBs, RAM, etc. They just wanted to argue without following a logical explanation for an answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Symantec came on campus for a career fair. I submitted my resume and received a call a week later.
    Initial interview was over Skype, follow up onsite interviews were at their new swanky campus in Cambridge. Questions were pretty basic for the most part - implementing string functions in C and so forth.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

I applied for a software intern position at my career fair and got a response within a few days to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was 30 minutes long with a few technical questions to gauge my knowledge of C++ and Java. After that, I scheduled an on-site interview where there were two 30 minute technical questions from two interviewers. After completing the coding challenges, the second interviewer told me I had a good chance at getting the job and I got a response 1 week later with an offer.

Associate Authentication Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

My agency contacted me first, after being advised of the job description I applied via the agency. Then I was selected for a phone interview, then face to face with each brand managers at once. I guess they wanted to see how you do under pressure. The only thing different than the normal was I did a typing test to see how many words per minute I could do. A few days later the job was offered and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The typical questions, where do you see yourself in so and so years?
      Describe a crazy situation and how did you resolve it?
      Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and was invited in for a 3 hour interview with the hiring manager, peers, and direct reports. It was not a great job opportunity, but I needed a job which they likely sensed. After the interview I followed up with an email to the hiring manager and now over a month later nobody has contacted me on my status for the role which I have deduced on my own. If I take time out of my schedule to drive to your location and dedicate hours of my time to you, as you courtesy you should send me an email letting me know where I stand.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest weakness. What would your peers say about you? How would your direct reports describe you. What would you do in a scenario where a customer was angry, etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Telephonic and then onsite in Big data / DevOps team. The team is really rude and makes you feel like they are the busiest person on planet earth. During interview, they kept interrupting me and asking me useless questions. I was scheduled for 4 interviews. But after 2 interviews they rejected me for no specific reasons as I could solve all the algorithmic problems given by them.

Looking at their behavior, I would not like to make them my future colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Search element in rotated binary search   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Symantec in January 2016.

Interview

The whole process took almost 6 months. There was a one month wait in between each interview. And before I went in for an in person interview, I had multiple phone interviews. There were typical behavioral questions as well as technical questions.

Java Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First they sent an online coding problem to be completed within 24 hours. I worked very hard on this designing and perfecting it, and they liked the result and decided to do a technical phone screen. They said they wanted the phone screen on a certain day but didn't finalize the time so I sat home all day waiting for nothing. They finally gave me an exact day and time, but then postponed it again! Finally they called--but it was not the person the recruiter told me to expect so I started off feeling rattled. He asked me about my history a little but didn't seem interested. Then he went on to questions in a shared document. The interview took 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The online coding test was a vending machine scenario. It had kind of strange, very specific requirements and input and output was via text files.   1 Answer
    • Several questions about Java Strings. He showed some string equalities and I was to answer whether the equalities were true or false.   Answer Question
    • He gave me a java algorithm to code. I don't remember what it was but it was something to do with prime numbers.   Answer Question
    • He asked if I knew any design patterns.   Answer Question