Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2017

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Interview process was very smooth, involved a technical call with basic questions about my resume and a collaborative IDE coding challenge. Then went into more personal questions about my resume and other projects I had worked on.

Java Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

First they sent an online coding problem to be completed within 24 hours. I worked very hard on this designing and perfecting it, and they liked the result and decided to do a technical phone screen. They said they wanted the phone screen on a certain day but didn't finalize the time so I sat home all day waiting for nothing. They finally gave me an exact day and time, but then postponed it again! Finally they called--but it was not the person the recruiter told me to expect so I started off feeling rattled. He asked me about my history a little but didn't seem interested. Then he went on to questions in a shared document. The interview took 45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• The online coding test was a vending machine scenario. It had kind of strange, very specific requirements and input and output was via text files.   1 Answer
    • Several questions about Java Strings. He showed some string equalities and I was to answer whether the equalities were true or false.   Answer Question
    • He gave me a java algorithm to code. I don't remember what it was but it was something to do with prime numbers.   Answer Question
    • He asked if I knew any design patterns.   Answer Question

SQA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA).

Interview

6 to 7 rounds. Initial rounds with employees of supervisor level. then you get bumped to interview with managers. Tech rounds are not very hard. Basic data structures, simple coding and clear explanations are required.

Interview Questions

• Code to identify if the tree has mirror nodes.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Met the recruiters on campus. Had a phone interview two weeks later. Then I was called for an onsite. I was offered the internship very quickly after the onsite interview. The process was very fast. Symantec is a very large company so you interview with specific teams. It was very swift and the recruiters were very helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pick a large number.

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Brief and straightforward. Requested details about background and how it fit the company. Strong emphasis on culture fit and how working with others. Overall I thought it was relatively easy compared to other interviews I have done in the past. No surprise questions or practical exercises (at least back a few years ago).

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very simple process, but a lot of interviews: 2 technical phone screens, long on-site interview. I was contacted by a senior engineer and interviewed over the phone using Google Drive. On-site interview in Mountain View, CA. Had a lot of data structure and algorithm questions. Thought process was also very important

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Received the first call from on-campus career fair recruiter.
    Interviewed by two people in the first phone screen. Initially asked my profile and resume and two coding questions on google docs.

Q) Merging k list of sorted array - Priority Queue related question
    Q) Simple synchronization questions

Then I was called on-site for a couple of rounds. First round was simple all resume related questions and given a boggle game of letters arranged from A-Y in say 5*5 matrix and given a word find the path to trace the word and print it.
    Second round was more on Java related questions of garbage collection vs C++/C memory deletion and invalid memory reference problem. Solved a question on LinkedList. Also, use of locks and synchronization in any language like Java. Diff b/w HashMap and HashTable. How would you use Hashtable in a distributed systems (basically semaphore or locking mechanism on entire table or each row -pros and cons of each).
    Other rounds were general questions like what all programming languages do you know and pros and cons of each. Diff b/w SQL and NoSQL. One database related question.
    Behavioral question say given a situation where your parents arrive to US after a long time and you need to pick them up and roam around with them. Suddenly, something important comes up in your work and your manager assigns you a new task what should you do? - Convince your manager to postpone it or give it to someone else explaining the situation or ask for help from your team-members. These were the two expected solutions
    All questions were from glassdoor comments so do review all of them

Interview Questions

• Priority Queue and LinkedList related question
      basics of C/C++ since I was a Java guy   Answer Question

Cloud Platform Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2015.

Interview

The interview started off late as the interviewer did not come on time. As the interview progressed, the interviewer became more and more impatient for no reason. He was not able to articulate his questions in a clear way and was VERY rude when he did not get the answer he wanted. When I was trying to explain my answers, he cut me short and restated his question. Then he abruptly ended the interview saying thank you and did not even ask if I had any questions. Even if this company pays me well, I am not going to work here ever if these are the type of people that this company has.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

First interview on career fair, then technical phone interview, talk about projects on resume, and a easy coding test. After that, I was told to attend the onsite interview, there are 4 rounds in onsite interview and the staffs in the team you gonna work with will be the interviewer,

Interview Questions

• atoi
      recursion
      linklist
      hashtable
      talk about your background   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I had a referral into the organization so I skipped some of the basic screening. I talked to two very friendly, competent team members. Questions seemed somewhat standard. The SVP was the final interview and really seemed to get after values and fit (funny b/c it was a contract consultant position, though it was a really big contract).

Interview Questions

• What is the worst experience you've had with our product.   Answer Question