Symantec Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2017

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Sent a resume and was contacted by a recruiter. We set up an interview for the same day. It was pleasant.They asked a bunch of questions about my skills and some technical terms. I didn't know all of them but they said it was fine, they just wanted to see what level I was at in order to determine if I had anything to move forward with an in-person interview. They said they will let me know if I will proceed tomorrow.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

The interview process was really good, I got to speak with the senior managers of all of the teams until I got to the one with whom I matched better. I appreciated that process because it let both the potential bosses and me understand each other's profiles and really find the best match for each team. I think that contributed a lot to the success of the hiring and my happiness with the team and the job once the project started. It was a process that took a few months in total, but it was completely worth it. In general companies do not take so much time to really match the potential candidates' profiles with the team profile, it is just about the experience and that's it. In this case, personality was given big importance, and that really made a difference. The interviews were not difficult per se, it was only a few months process but you only needed to be yourself.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if in a meeting a decision would need to be made and you were the only person thinking differently, but you knew you were right?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I was asked to interview at a career fair. It was pretty nontechnical. After, I interviewed with the senior IT manager. Instead of her asking me all sorts of technical questions, she merely talked to me about the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you address problems which seem impossible? Other standard personal interview questions   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec in July 2015.

Interview

Interviewer from Symantec emailed me about an hour before our scheduled time and asked if we could push up the interview to right then. I told him no since I was not in a place where I could do the interview until the original time and he seemed annoyed. Interview started at original time and he told me a link to go to so he could see me live coding. I implemented 2 algorithms and I guess it was not satisfactory because I was told right away that he did not think I would be a good fit.

NAM-Marketing-Budgeting-and-Programs-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Process took about 2-3 weeks from initial email from recruiter to a round of interviews w/5 people, incl. hiring manager. The position was a backfill role, w/the first interview w/the person who previously held the role. When he indicated that the description was not the full description of the position/requirements, I had to pause and wonder what I was getting into. Each interview felt rushed, and I sensed that everyone but the first and last interviewer had a set of valid questions, as the team focused more on their competitors, and less on how to make their own products better. I followed up w/the recruiter w/in a week, but got a sense that the recruiter was stalling, or that other candidates were still in the interview process queue. I never heard back directly or by form letter that the position had been filled, and only realized it was filled after the position was pulled from their company careers site.

Interview Questions

• How will you support the team?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position through reference. The first call was from the manager for initial screening then was called for an onsite interview. The onsite interview was with the team I was going to work for - senior arch, manager and the other team members. They asked questions related to my previous work experience and resume highlights. It was pretty easy. The decision was made within a week as i had another offer in hand.

Interview Questions

• Basic programming questions, experience and behavioral type questions.. Quite easy.   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started with a screening with an HR recruiter followed by a technical phone screen for an hr. After clearing the phone screen process, was invited to attend on-site interview. On-site interview was scheduled for over 5 hrs with 2 people interviewing each hr.

Answered some questions with difficulty and some to the interviewer's satisfaction. The interview was terminated by some director mid way in a most unprofessional manner. Do not bother interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Serializing and de-serializing a BST with full coding.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Interview

The first technical phone screen was pretty much simple, touching on previous projects and java basics. Then there was a homework problem and given 75 mins to solve that. The onsite was scheduled for 3 hours, but the first person to interview me could not be present due to issues he was facing at work. At the end, I was called for the second round directly after waiting for an hour. And even after that round, there was no one available to interview me, which looked pretty unprofessional on their side. Not sure if this is a one time thing or a common recurring thing. But I could not perform upto expectations in that round , and it not able to get a chance to interview the remaining rounds in the same day proved to be a negative factor in deciding my candidacy(atleast that is what I think). I was rejected after that round and not called after that.

Interview Questions

• Count paths in a matrix, write algorithm to design a boggle game   Answer Question

Senior Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1st round is phone interview for an hour. Then setup onsite interview.
    Need to write sudo code for algorithms. Interviewers were not prepared with list of questions. Each session has 2 people asking questions.

Interview Questions

• how to find file recursively with pattern matching (not using find).   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Troy, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Troy, MI) in June 2015.

Interview

Multi-step interview process was very lengthy and not well planned out or outlined to potential employee. Follow up technical interviews were labeled as simply "I would like you to speak to another colleague of mine". Extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate cancelling the in person interview a few days ahead of time after 2 months of planning and taking vacation from existing employer.