Symantec Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 16, 2017

48 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview. Quite basic problems about Linux (some basic commands), algorithms (such as binary search tree, Big O of data structure) and some coding in Python (simple task of processing file).

Interview Questions

• Write a Python script that removes all comments from a cpp file   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Got a call through referral for Norton Unit. I scheduled it for after a week. The phone call lasted for about 30 minutes, only technical questions were asked. Topics were based on Java, OOPS, and SQL.

Interview Questions

• Was questioned on Java, OOPS, SQL and about one project in my resume. Which data structures did you use? Why?   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two rounds of interview, one telephonic call and the other was an onsite. After clearing the telephonic interview I was called for onsite interview. Onsite had 4 technical rounds 45 minutes each and 1 HR round. The technical rounds were really heavy and they possibly asked me everything that could be asked. HR round was lunch with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Telephonic Call: General Resume Questions, discussions on project.
      Was asked to write a code to reverse a sentence, eg Weather is good today to today good is weather. The code had to be written on a google drive, where I was evaluated on my coding style and thinking skills.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 1: 45 minutes - I was asked to write code on a whiteboard to traverse a binary tree recursively.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 2: 45 minutes
      1) What is the difference between mutex and semaphores?
      2) Given different scenarios and asked whether a deadlock can occur in these situations.
      3) What scheduling policies does Linux use? Is this the best scheduling policy?
      4) What is the difference peer to peer communication and server to client communication? Also the advantages and disadvantages.
      5) How does a system call work in Linux? Explain the whole workflow?
      6) How interprocess communication take place?
      7) How do you ensure there is no deadlock and livelock, explain all the algorithms you know.   Answer Question
    • Technical Round 3: 45 Minutes
      Asked a system design question. Clients requests were changed and was tested how I handle them.
      So the question was there are 1000 users , they send queries to server. The server has to provide service by implementing three functions.   Answer Question
    • Technical Interview 4: Print filesystem in a specific order.
      eg /usr
                 /abc
                 /mno/cat
          /pqr
               /rst

How would I implement this structure?

2) How would you implement generic variable data types in Java?
      3) What is encapsulation, inheritance, and abstraction?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

First got a phone screen call from an engineer, who was really friendly and I actually really enjoyed that call. She wasn't just a recruiter saying how great it is to work there, but we talked about various technical topics, from her asking questions and me asking her questions about her work.
    Then the next week it was two back-to-back onsite interviews with two engineers both on the team I was interviewing for. Basic whiteboarding questions. First interviewer was really cool

Interview Questions

• Asked me about an NES emulator I worked on (from my resume)   Answer Question

Security, Technology, and Response (STAR) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I gave my resume to a friend and he referred me to the STAR internship director. I got an email within a couple weeks for scheduling a phone screen. The phone screen lasted 30 minutes. The interviewer first talked about what the STAR program is, what Symantec does, and what interns work on. Then he asked basic C++ questions. Mostly dealing with data structures and definitions, only one simple algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• - How is Python different from C++? Advantages and disadvantages of each language, when you would use either language.

- What is a namespace in C++?
      - When would you create your own namespace? If you did, what/how would that help you and which functionalities could you add?
      - Name all situations when the double colon :: used in C++?
      - What is a protected variable in C++ classes?
      - Passing by value vs passing by reference
      - If I need to pass by reference but still have the variable’s value be intact, what would I do? (const keyword)
      - Algorithms: If I have an array of integers, what is the fastest way to find the largest integer in the array?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

They offered me about 10 days to prepare and gave me a 30-min long phone screen. First, some behavior Qs and then, data structure, tree and LL, and also some brief Qs about time complexity. The last thing is coding challenge as I said below.

Interview Questions

• Coding:Output the comments in a Java file   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Have a phone screening with HR
    2. Have a technical screening with a software engineer with google doc coding
    3. Onsite interview, technical questions with 4 engineers in 4 sessions last about 4 hours
    4. Rejection email receive after I got home

Interview Questions

• How would you Design a map similar to google map. Python questions. parallel programming/thread questions. QA testing method   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied on the school career fair and talked with their head recruiter. I did a simple coding test and about two weeks later I received an email from one of their techinical department manager to arrange an one hour phone interview. Now I am still waiting for the feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview. I talked with one technical department manager and he mainly asked me about problems and basic concepts in sql. Questions are like how to select data with common features.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

Interview

I applied for a software intern position at my career fair and got a response within a few days to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was 30 minutes long with a few technical questions to gauge my knowledge of C++ and Java. After that, I scheduled an on-site interview where there were two 30 minute technical questions from two interviewers. After completing the coding challenges, the second interviewer told me I had a good chance at getting the job and I got a response 1 week later with an offer.