Symantec Principal Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

3.1

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

First interview was a grueling 90 minutes of questions, more difficult than I had experienced at Google or Amazon - this was with no warning that it was going to be technical. It was meant to be a first round screening.

Interview Questions

• Too many to mention. Outdated hardware particularities and technologies (circa year 2000) to obscure algorithms rarely used.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started with a screening with an HR recruiter followed by a technical phone screen for an hr. After clearing the phone screen process, was invited to attend on-site interview. On-site interview was scheduled for over 5 hrs with 2 people interviewing each hr.

Answered some questions with difficulty and some to the interviewer's satisfaction. The interview was terminated by some director mid way in a most unprofessional manner. Do not bother interviewing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Approached by recruiter (via linkedin). Got ph. screen interview around 30mins. Asked about previous experience and job opening related projects. Scheduled on-site with-in a week. 5 in-person interview. Two coding questions, two design and architecture questions. 5th was with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• String manipulation and spin on matrix iteration (recursion).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Apply in University career fair. Onsite interview one week after. There are three person that interview me in total. There is no break between them. Each one takes 45 min and the whole process goes a little bit longer than 2 hours. The last one interview me is the team manager.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

After the call with a knowledgeable recruiter, spoke with one of the core persons in the team. This was for the first round. First round went well with the basic set of questions. Followed up and heard the team chose another candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

It was a 5 hours in person interview. One hour for each interviewer. Questions were basic data structures and algorithms. I didn't get the offer because I didn't prepare and I stumbled on a couple of questions or maybe they were too picky on the candidates because the position has been available for a while.

Interview Questions

• They did ask something not related to the job but from your resume so make sure you know whatever you put on your resume   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied through linked-in. Recruiter contacted next day because of my profile matches with their requirement. He explore about my details and project work also gives any idea about compensation what he can offer at the end of the process. then he schedule next telephonic interview with Hiring manager(Dir of Software Dev). Interview with him as very good and positive , he asked mainly about the current project work and few questions related to team management .then he scheduled three interview with him Technical team in Toronto 1. With Senior Dev 2. Dev Manager 3.Architect.

questions mainly on .net C# , multithreading and database and design pattern nothing much difficult.

All interviews went well, after three days he asked me for an onsite interview at San Francisco office.

He scheduled three interview with
    1. QA Manager.
    2. Senior Manager.
    3. Principle Software Manager & Tech lead.
    4. Lunch with hiring Manager.

They only understand my current architecture of the project and few basic questions like what is abstract class.

All interview again went well with very positive experience, only weird thing is that they didn’t asked tough questions and gives me very positive vibes , asking about my visa status and joining time etc.

After a week when I asked HR he replied that not selected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

After short phone interview Symantec invited me for on-site interview.
    Booked a hotel in 5 minutes walk distance from the HQ. Had 6 interviews during 2 days with different team leads and technical directors.
    During the interview it was wide range of questions including technical and abstract questions, code examples, puzzles, whiteboard coding, etc.

Smaller salary comparing to what I had.

Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Lindon, UT) in February 2011.

Interview

I had two telephone interviews each of around 40 minutes and was then invited to an in person interview. The in person interview was conducted by the hiring manager and two senior technical staff where I was asked the normal gambit of software engineering questions and given white board coding exercises. I was also given a written test complete on my own in about 45 minutes. Total on site interview time was around 3 hours.

Negotiation

The hiring manager called me with a verbal offer, slightly over what I had asked for. So I was happy to accept the verbal offer. They then did a full background check, financial, criminal, employment, and education and took up references. Only after the background check was complete did they give me a written offer. So, there was actually three weeks between the verbal and written offers.

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

Online Round: Very basic linux questions...nothing was asked on Linux fundamentals...questions were mostly related with Linux commands like passing multiple arguments over pipe, how to search for string in files, how to recursively list files, diff between set and map etc

Onsite Round 1:
    Very bad behaviour. No greeting, handshaking, introduction by interviewer. No question was asked about my prior experience.
    He simply started asking same kind of questions which were related to Linux commands or some basic things like socket calls...This time I really got confused if position was for Sysadmin job or Software Engineering Job :)
    Only relatively tough question asked was to implement your own NEW and DELETE function. I gave implementation of MALLOC in glibc.
    Interviewer did not even gave me opportunity to ask questions about job position.

After Lunch(that you have to do alone :)), round 2 started

Onsite Round 2:
    He was relatively better interviewer. Here interviewer was mainly focused on C++(and one very simple programming question :)). Interviewer gave me an opportunity to ask questions about job position.

Got Rejected.

There were no data structure and algorithms questions. I have 7 years of experience but they did not even bother to ask DESIGN level questions to me. They did not asked me about my current work and architecture of a product that I worked on. Actually, these kind of questions are asked in any normal Software developer interview especially if it is for senior dev role((I have been taking interviews for over last 2 years).

I got rejected because I was not able to answer some of linux commands and linux API related questions(asking linux cmds in whole round for sennior dev role was strange to me) and C++ questions(I had not worked in C++ for last 4 years).

My guess is interviewers simply had no knowledge beyond what they are working on. Questions asked were of really bad quality as questions were neither related with computer science fundamentals nor related related with my work experience.