Symantec Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2017

2.9

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interviews, one with the Director of Symantec Cyber Security, the other with a Senior Data Scientist. Then a lengthy take home assignment doing some predictive modeling on lending data.

I did well enough on the phone interviews to get to the take home test stage. I'm fine with take home tests and completed the take home test in one week, the allotted time frame. Feedback on the take home test was that I "did very well".

Then a week later I hear back from the group letting me know that they were looking for someone with more data science experience. I have 4+ year of experience in data science and 20+ years of experience in tech overall.

The group could have made this decision just based on the initial phone screens instead of wasting one week of my time with a take home assignment. That's what really pissed me off - the asymmetry between how much time a candidate spends on the interview process and how much the company spends.

If the Symantec Cyber Security group treats potential employees this way with a blatant disregard for their time, how will actual employees be treated? How much politics and BS are inside the company, making for a toxic work environment where you can't get any honest, straight answers?

Avoid the Symantec Cyber Security group, there are a lot better data science groups & companies to work with in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• Take home predictive modeling assignment on lending data.   1 Answer

Lead DevOps Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

1. Recruiter call - basic information, JD etc..
    2. Telephonic call - Technical - Focus on technological stack, skill sets, programming languages
    3. Onsite - met 3 different sets of people and lastly hiring manager -, 2 interviewers in every round.
    1st Interview - Sr. guy wasn't even aware of the schedule other guy turned up late like in last 5 mins and started giving 2 mins for every questions he asked, 1st guy was waiting for 2nd guy and 2nd guy wasn't there at all during the time period.

2nd Interview- Both interviewers were interested in chatting within themselves and then suddenly one asks a question, gave different approaches but he didn't seem to be convinced.

3rd Interview - The best, at least they turned up on time and had a good discussion with them asked various questions on build, deployment processes etc..

4th Interview - Hiring Manager - just about the role and area the hiring that's going on.

Interview Questions

• 1. Experience on AWS and Perforce
      2. Project Architecture
      3. Replace all occurrence of a string in all directories
      4. Few live scenarios in devOps - build/deployments
      Answer Question

Legal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Brief and straightforward. Requested details about background and how it fit the company. Strong emphasis on culture fit and how working with others. Overall I thought it was relatively easy compared to other interviews I have done in the past. No surprise questions or practical exercises (at least back a few years ago).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

One technical phone interview, just general data structure and algorithms and then I was told they wanted to bring me onsite. Onsite has four rounds, lunch, and three technical. During the lunch interview, the interviewer said there would be more people joining interviews later, they are team members, and just wanted to check if we could work together well and they were there to support the main interviewers. Second round was good, the guy is a senior engineer, very friendly and always willing to help. The other experiences were bad. In the next round, one of the team member who has worked there for 5 months didn't get my idea when I was solving the question. He kept asking the same question until the other interviewer stopped him and told him what my idea was, and explained the design to him as I did for thousand times. He still couldn't get it. And it wasted us for more then 15 minutes, he just didn't read my code carefully and didn't understand what Java can do. It gave me a bad impression of interviewer's professional. The next round still had two interviewers involved. They kept gauging me about same concept and were very impatient and not helpful. It looked like they aimed to fail me in the beginning, even though I solved the technical question later. I didn't meet any interviewers like that, unfriendly and not helpful, when I was doing the whiteboard their face expression told me I was totally wasting their time while I have no idea what did I do to offend em.

Interview Questions

• general data structure and algorithms, linked list, hashmap   Answer Question

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Started with a screening with an HR recruiter followed by a technical phone screen for an hr. After clearing the phone screen process, was invited to attend on-site interview. On-site interview was scheduled for over 5 hrs with 2 people interviewing each hr.

Answered some questions with difficulty and some to the interviewer's satisfaction. The interview was terminated by some director mid way in a most unprofessional manner. Do not bother interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Serializing and de-serializing a BST with full coding.   Answer Question

Senior Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

1st round is phone interview for an hour. Then setup onsite interview.
    Need to write sudo code for algorithms. Interviewers were not prepared with list of questions. Each session has 2 people asking questions.

Interview Questions

• how to find file recursively with pattern matching (not using find).   Answer Question

User Experience Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Got the interview from HR. And then introduced to talk to the design leader. The appointment time changed several times. The design leader asked me several questions related to my course project, the way I approach users.

SQA Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

The university recruiter called me up saying she received my resume through our school's career fair. The initial phone screen was about 30 minutes. The hiring manager talked about their product and the teams. Then asked the usual java questions such as difference between interface and abstract class, and others. Then an on-site was scheduled at the SF office. I went down there on-time. In total, there were 3 rounds, each of which was conducted by two interviewers together. They asked the usual SQA-related questions found on the internet. The HM took me for a lunch at a nice-place. Got an offer in a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• Draw a sample web-application components. Explain your testing plan for each component.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The pay-package was what I wanted and didn't negotiate.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I interviewed for the platform team for senior software engineer position. I had one telephonic interview which was pretty easy and then I was called onsite.

Interview Questions

• None, everything was pretty easy   1 Answer

Principal Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied through linked-in. Recruiter contacted next day because of my profile matches with their requirement. He explore about my details and project work also gives any idea about compensation what he can offer at the end of the process. then he schedule next telephonic interview with Hiring manager(Dir of Software Dev). Interview with him as very good and positive , he asked mainly about the current project work and few questions related to team management .then he scheduled three interview with him Technical team in Toronto 1. With Senior Dev 2. Dev Manager 3.Architect.

questions mainly on .net C# , multithreading and database and design pattern nothing much difficult.

All interviews went well, after three days he asked me for an onsite interview at San Francisco office.

He scheduled three interview with
    1. QA Manager.
    2. Senior Manager.
    3. Principle Software Manager & Tech lead.
    4. Lunch with hiring Manager.

They only understand my current architecture of the project and few basic questions like what is abstract class.

All interview again went well with very positive experience, only weird thing is that they didn’t asked tough questions and gives me very positive vibes , asking about my visa status and joining time etc.

After a week when I asked HR he replied that not selected.