Symantec Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 19, 2017

2.9

Associate Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an initial screening interview with a recruiter at Symantec. It was actually more substantive than many screening interviews that I have had. They went in detail about the position, asked about my experience, and gave me questions about how I would handle certain matters and questions on what important I believed were the major provisions in a licensing agreement. It went fairly well and I was notified at the end of the screening interview that I would be scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. My interview with the hiring manager went well also. There was a good balance of substantive questions and discussion mixed with personal questions. I thought I had a great conversation with the hiring manager and the person seemed like someone I could enjoy working for. I had mixed feelings at the end of the interview though, because even though I believed the the hiring manager thought I was qualified for the position, my role at my current company was more of a generalist and did not solely focus on the responsibilities that were required of the position I was interviewing for (even though I handled those responsibilities daily in my current role), so that the hiring manager may have not felt I was a perfect fit. I was pleasantly surprised that I was contacted by the recruiter for on-site interview with multiple members of the team. But when I replied to confirm the day and time, I was met with an email that stated that they actually were going to interview more candidates and put me on hold (even though I was already given a hard date for the on-site interview). I was told I was still was definitely under consideration, but would not do the on-site interview the following week as originally anticipated. I followed up one more time and was told that I was still under consideration but that they moved forward with other candidates (I assumed with the in-person interview I was supposed to have). It was very disappointing and not very professional (according to my personal opinion). I did appreciate not having my time wasted with the on-site interview if I was no longer a serious candidate, but was annoyed at how it was handled, as well as at least having the courtesy of letting me know that they went with another candidate. I would have appreciated a final email to provide closure.

Interview Questions

• What key provisions do you encounter when negotiating licensing agreement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I'm a current Symantec employee. The interview was extremely disorganized. It's ironic that my colleagues and I interviewed at companies like Google, Amazon, and Facebook and got offers from them but are not qualified to work at our own company.

Interview Questions

• Random questions unrelated to the job description (Java required). Very old school, asking about C/C++ memory malloc, storage alternatives to DBs, RAM, etc. They just wanted to argue without following a logical explanation for an answer.   Answer Question

Associate Authentication Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

My agency contacted me first, after being advised of the job description I applied via the agency. Then I was selected for a phone interview, then face to face with each brand managers at once. I guess they wanted to see how you do under pressure. The only thing different than the normal was I did a typing test to see how many words per minute I could do. A few days later the job was offered and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The typical questions, where do you see yourself in so and so years?
      Describe a crazy situation and how did you resolve it?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Telephonic and then onsite in Big data / DevOps team. The team is really rude and makes you feel like they are the busiest person on planet earth. During interview, they kept interrupting me and asking me useless questions. I was scheduled for 4 interviews. But after 2 interviews they rejected me for no specific reasons as I could solve all the algorithmic problems given by them.

Looking at their behavior, I would not like to make them my future colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Search element in rotated binary search   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The position was for a software developer for cloud engineering. He asked me some basic questions about hadoop.
    After that he scheduled another round with one of the senior engineers from the team I was being hired for.
    The interview went well and I was given a call to the next round which was supposed to be the final round, a video conference interview with three members from the team and the hiring director.

One day before the interview, I received an email from the recruiter that they had already found someone for the position and they cancelled the final round.

I thought this was really unprofessional of them to do this as I had spent an entire week preparing for the final round. I communicated the same to the recruiter when I called her back.

I hope this makes everyone interviewing for this company aware of what could happen, not saying this will happen to every candidate. It is always good to know before hand that this level of unprofessionalism can also be expected from what I thought is a reputed Fortune 500 company.

Interview Questions

• Find duplicates in a sorted array and print the unique elements?
      e.g. A = {1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5}, the output should be {1,2,3,4,5}
      1 Answer
    • Write a function to convert roman numerals to integers   1 Answer

NAM-Marketing-Budgeting-and-Programs-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Process took about 2-3 weeks from initial email from recruiter to a round of interviews w/5 people, incl. hiring manager. The position was a backfill role, w/the first interview w/the person who previously held the role. When he indicated that the description was not the full description of the position/requirements, I had to pause and wonder what I was getting into. Each interview felt rushed, and I sensed that everyone but the first and last interviewer had a set of valid questions, as the team focused more on their competitors, and less on how to make their own products better. I followed up w/the recruiter w/in a week, but got a sense that the recruiter was stalling, or that other candidates were still in the interview process queue. I never heard back directly or by form letter that the position had been filled, and only realized it was filled after the position was pulled from their company careers site.

Interview Questions

• How will you support the team?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Interview

The first technical phone screen was pretty much simple, touching on previous projects and java basics. Then there was a homework problem and given 75 mins to solve that. The onsite was scheduled for 3 hours, but the first person to interview me could not be present due to issues he was facing at work. At the end, I was called for the second round directly after waiting for an hour. And even after that round, there was no one available to interview me, which looked pretty unprofessional on their side. Not sure if this is a one time thing or a common recurring thing. But I could not perform upto expectations in that round , and it not able to get a chance to interview the remaining rounds in the same day proved to be a negative factor in deciding my candidacy(atleast that is what I think). I was rejected after that round and not called after that.

Interview Questions

• Count paths in a matrix, write algorithm to design a boggle game   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First there was an informational interview with one of my would-be co-workers, followed by an phone/WebEx interview with the Hiring manager and another would-be co-worker. The informational interview was more like a discussion and went well. Very low key. The "phone/WebEx" interview was stressful, because even though you are using WebEx, they do all the speaking over a regular phone line. I found this confusing and it actually delayed the interview. It was not communicated exactly how the interview would go (unfortunately I did not ask) and it was expected that I give an in-depth presentation of my portfolio. They followed up with requesting a "homework" assignment.

Interview Questions

• How to you recover from mistakes?   1 Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

First Interview was over the phone, than hiring manager, after I had interview with his peers. One of his peers, had no experience about the position and was asking me to clarify what it would do for his team. Very awkward! I've got an offer and accepted it, and when I had a chance to interact with that individual, I learned first had he is a master in making people uncomfortable, very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• There are lots of ambiguity in the company/department/project. How do you deal with ambiguity?   1 Answer
    • They used a lot of old school jargon, and some of the acronyms from the current CEO   Answer Question

Endpoint Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the same guy I met at the career fair. He was nice, but he was speaking to me thru the speaker so it was hard to hear at times. There was another person with him in the room. His questions were fair and should be obvious to someone who pays attention to details in their class. When I ask them how many interns are they hiring, they say 1 for the summer. Be prepare to give your best.

Interview Questions

• 1. Talk about yourself.
      2. Talk about a bug you cannot solve and how did you solve it.
      3. How to store "last name, first name, id" into database for future access?
      4. If you can't connect to google, how do you debug it? (hint: DNS)
      1 Answer