Symantec Interview Questions in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

2.9

88 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

I was invited to tour Symantec in October 2017 where I met with recruiters. I received a phone call towards the end of November, and spent the next 3 weeks going through 3 rounds of interviews. The following week after the 3rd interview, the hiring manager called me to extend an offer.

Category Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

WARNING: COMPANY GHOSTS CANDIDATES

Applied for the role through Glassdoor. Within a week, an HR coordinator reached out for an initial screen. Moved on to a phone screen with the hiring manager. What was intended to be a 30 minute discussion lasted almost an hour; very good rapport with the hiring manager.

This proceeded to an on-campus interview. After some logistical issues, spent half a day in San Jose with the hiring manager and other "stakeholders." For some stakeholders, felt like this was a waste of time - three cut short because they had other meetings. Most didn't even bother to review my resume.

The worst part was after the interview. Aside from an obnoxious reimbursement process, I never heard a word again. Here's how I learned I didn't get the job - several temp agency recruiters contacted for the exact same role on a contract basis (six in one day).

Ebc Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter since this position is a contract position. Phone screening by recruiter then invited to 2 rounds of in-person interview. Overall a 2-week process.
    Met with the entire team and learned more in-depth the nature of the job and culture.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions: Tell me about yourself. What makes you interested in the position? How do you handle conflict?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The worst experience I had till now is Symantec. Save your time by not applying to this company. Recruiters called me and we had initial discussion. First round was a call with hiring manager who asked decent amount of sensible questions. Then was onsite round. Reached Symantec HQ 10 minutes before interview time and first interviewer was late by 20 minutes. SERIOUSLY !!!!!! If candidate is late, its a negative point but what happens when interviewer is late???? First interview was design question and while I was explaining approach, interviewer was on phone with probably using whatsapp. I had to explain him approach twice at each point. Then had coding rounds. All went fine. Now is the worst part. Not hearing back from Recruiter after following up multiple times. What happens if candidate signs offer and don't show up on first day ? He is blacklisted in company records !!! Probably !!! Probably NOT !!!! But Symantec is blacklisted in my list of companies now. ALL THE BEST SYMANTEC for such a culture.

Associate Corporate Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an initial screening interview with a recruiter at Symantec. It was actually more substantive than many screening interviews that I have had. They went in detail about the position, asked about my experience, and gave me questions about how I would handle certain matters and questions on what important I believed were the major provisions in a licensing agreement. It went fairly well and I was notified at the end of the screening interview that I would be scheduled to interview with the hiring manager. My interview with the hiring manager went well also. There was a good balance of substantive questions and discussion mixed with personal questions. I thought I had a great conversation with the hiring manager and the person seemed like someone I could enjoy working for. I had mixed feelings at the end of the interview though, because even though I believed the the hiring manager thought I was qualified for the position, my role at my current company was more of a generalist and did not solely focus on the responsibilities that were required of the position I was interviewing for (even though I handled those responsibilities daily in my current role), so that the hiring manager may have not felt I was a perfect fit. I was pleasantly surprised that I was contacted by the recruiter for on-site interview with multiple members of the team. But when I replied to confirm the day and time, I was met with an email that stated that they actually were going to interview more candidates and put me on hold (even though I was already given a hard date for the on-site interview). I was told I was still was definitely under consideration, but would not do the on-site interview the following week as originally anticipated. I followed up one more time and was told that I was still under consideration but that they moved forward with other candidates (I assumed with the in-person interview I was supposed to have). It was very disappointing and not very professional (according to my personal opinion). I did appreciate not having my time wasted with the on-site interview if I was no longer a serious candidate, but was annoyed at how it was handled, as well as at least having the courtesy of letting me know that they went with another candidate. I would have appreciated a final email to provide closure.

Interview Questions

• What key provisions do you encounter when negotiating licensing agreement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I'm a current Symantec employee. The interview was extremely disorganized. It's ironic that my colleagues and I interviewed at companies like Google, Amazon, and Facebook and got offers from them but are not qualified to work at our own company.

Interview Questions

• Random questions unrelated to the job description (Java required). Very old school, asking about C/C++ memory malloc, storage alternatives to DBs, RAM, etc. They just wanted to argue without following a logical explanation for an answer.   Answer Question

Associate Authentication Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA).

Interview

My agency contacted me first, after being advised of the job description I applied via the agency. Then I was selected for a phone interview, then face to face with each brand managers at once. I guess they wanted to see how you do under pressure. The only thing different than the normal was I did a typing test to see how many words per minute I could do. A few days later the job was offered and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The typical questions, where do you see yourself in so and so years?
      Describe a crazy situation and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Telephonic and then onsite in Big data / DevOps team. The team is really rude and makes you feel like they are the busiest person on planet earth. During interview, they kept interrupting me and asking me useless questions. I was scheduled for 4 interviews. But after 2 interviews they rejected me for no specific reasons as I could solve all the algorithmic problems given by them.

Looking at their behavior, I would not like to make them my future colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Search element in rotated binary search   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The position was for a software developer for cloud engineering. He asked me some basic questions about hadoop.
    After that he scheduled another round with one of the senior engineers from the team I was being hired for.
    The interview went well and I was given a call to the next round which was supposed to be the final round, a video conference interview with three members from the team and the hiring director.

One day before the interview, I received an email from the recruiter that they had already found someone for the position and they cancelled the final round.

I thought this was really unprofessional of them to do this as I had spent an entire week preparing for the final round. I communicated the same to the recruiter when I called her back.

I hope this makes everyone interviewing for this company aware of what could happen, not saying this will happen to every candidate. It is always good to know before hand that this level of unprofessionalism can also be expected from what I thought is a reputed Fortune 500 company.

Interview Questions

• Find duplicates in a sorted array and print the unique elements?
      e.g. A = {1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5}, the output should be {1,2,3,4,5}   1 Answer
    • Write a function to convert roman numerals to integers   1 Answer

NAM-Marketing-Budgeting-and-Programs-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Process took about 2-3 weeks from initial email from recruiter to a round of interviews w/5 people, incl. hiring manager. The position was a backfill role, w/the first interview w/the person who previously held the role. When he indicated that the description was not the full description of the position/requirements, I had to pause and wonder what I was getting into. Each interview felt rushed, and I sensed that everyone but the first and last interviewer had a set of valid questions, as the team focused more on their competitors, and less on how to make their own products better. I followed up w/the recruiter w/in a week, but got a sense that the recruiter was stalling, or that other candidates were still in the interview process queue. I never heard back directly or by form letter that the position had been filled, and only realized it was filled after the position was pulled from their company careers site.

Interview Questions

• How will you support the team?   1 Answer