Symantec Senior SQA Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Senior SQA Engineer Interview Questions

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

The interview process even though straight forward was little bit unprofessional. The interview consisted of two phone interviews. The first interview (on phone) was with the Recruiter who had reached out to me on a professional social networking site. He basically check listed my skills and gauged my interest in the position. The second interview (on phone) was with the Hiring Manager. The interviewer even though very pleasant and was more interested in exact solutions rather then the methods themselves. After 5 minutes in the interview, both of us realized that I was not a good fit for this position. The position they were looking to fill was more towards debugging customer issues rather than data or software quality analysis. The recruiter followed up with an hour of interview to let me know that they are not going to proceed further.
The whole set up was handled little unprofessionally. The Recruiter set up the initial interview and never called up because of some other commitments. There was no update or message to let me know that the call was rescheduled. Also, when he sent out the rejection email, he just forwarded me the email he had sent out to previous candidate, including that candidate's email address and phone number!
Given the way they treat candidates, not respecting their time or efforts, I am not sure how they would have treated me if I had been employed. Also, I got a feeling that this company tries to fit an ideal job for a given candidate rather recruiting an ideal candidate for the position they have. Given that I am currently employed, and really like my current position, I am not terribly disappointed that it didn't work out.

Interview Questions

• What's the UNIX command for changing file permissions?   1 Answer
  • What are some of the test cases for copy - paste functionality in a text editor?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process at Symantec has changed dramatically as compared to two years back when I used to be the part of Symantec. I got an eye of former Symantec interviewer and current Symantec interviewee both. Below are few issues observed during two project interviews I attended recently-

1. For the first project interview, I got a call from HR and she scheduled multiple interview rounds. I cleared all the rounds and finally at HR round, HR asked me about the expected compensation. When I told her about my current and expected compensation, she told me that they can't even meet my current compensation and the process got terminated. This is an example of complete waste of efforts for employer and employee both. Symantec HR should have done basic candidate profile screening that should include current/expected CTC, whether candidate skill set meets the required candidate profile.

2. After some days, I again got a call from another Symantec HR and an interview was scheduled for second project. This time I cleared all the doubts by myself (learnt from the worse experience of previous project interview). Then my first three interview rounds were interviewed by SQA engineer, Sr. SQA engineer and QA manager respectively. All three rounds went smoothly. At fourth interview round, a Sr. SQA engineer took my interview surprisingly where I was expecting either Sr. QA Manager or Director/VP level guy. He asked me few programming problems. I solved and executed those programs on eclipse. Next day after fourth round, I got the call from respective HR and he told me that my feedback was negative. As I was very sure that my programs were correct, I asked the HR to coordinate with the interviewer and get the questions that were not answered correctly. However, HR told me it was confidential and they could not reveal interview details.

Being an ex-Symantec employee, it seems there is some internal politics going on and that's why respective project manager already made their mind to reject my candidature and select someone from internal references. That's why they didn't even make any effort for the fourth round and asked the Sr. SQA engineer to take it up as a formality.

Please refer below questions asked during fourth interview round with the answers I provided at that time-

Interview Questions

• Question (1) WAP to check if all the buttons were clicked. Consider a method named isClicked() returns the current status of a button.

Question (2) Consider two strings str1="aabbccdddd" and str2="abbbcd" are provided. Now, get the common Character between str1 and str2 that has the maximum occurrences of that Character. For e.g. in str1 and str2, character 'd' occurs 4 times, so output should print character 'd'.

Question (3)
      Consider two array are provided in sorted order. WAP to return a sorted merged array using two arrays provided. e.g. array1=[1,2,3,15] and array2=[2,3,4,7]. Output should be mergearray=[1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 7, 15]   1 Answer

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pune (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in March 2014.

Interview

I got initial call from HR. My job profile meet their requirements exactly. There were 3 technical rounds. 1 was taken by someone from India office on phone. 2nd round from US team. 3rd round was technical programming round.

Interview Questions

• Write a program which will read an excel file data and write it to xml file after doing some calculations.   Answer Question

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallinn (Estonia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Tallinn (Estonia)) in June 2011.

Interview

it was hard but worth it. They were probably tired, maybe not first interview that day. I was feeling somehow pressured and that pressure did it's job, probably that's the reason i declined the job. I wasn't feeling like they will accept me.

Interview Questions

• most of questions are standard, like where you are seeing yourself in 5 years.   1 Answer

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec in July 2010.

Interview

during the first round of interview ask many questions on technologies like Linux,unix,storage and backup and they said that team belongs to R & D team so you would get all the exposure(false information)

Interview Questions

• it was not difficult interview   1 Answer

Negotiation

biggest mistake of my life that i have accepted the offer

Senior SQA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview process is based on how well you follow instructions

Interview Questions

• It was not difficult, but it was the most difficult question based on their IQ: How will you test copy command?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate but it was not a positive experience