Symantec Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

3.2

47 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The worst experience I had till now is Symantec. Save your time by not applying to this company. Recruiters called me and we had initial discussion. First round was a call with hiring manager who asked decent amount of sensible questions. Then was onsite round. Reached Symantec HQ 10 minutes before interview time and first interviewer was late by 20 minutes. SERIOUSLY !!!!!! If candidate is late, its a negative point but what happens when interviewer is late???? First interview was design question and while I was explaining approach, interviewer was on phone with probably using whatsapp. I had to explain him approach twice at each point. Then had coding rounds. All went fine. Now is the worst part. Not hearing back from Recruiter after following up multiple times. What happens if candidate signs offer and don't show up on first day ? He is blacklisted in company records !!! Probably !!! Probably NOT !!!! But Symantec is blacklisted in my list of companies now. ALL THE BEST SYMANTEC for such a culture.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Draper, UT) in October 2016.

Interview

3 technical interviews with one management interview. Mostly c and c++ programming questions, some times it will also include personality questions and architecture questions. The process is straight forward and each interview is about 1 hour each after which you go to the next one.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec in February 2016.

Interview

I never got a chance to interview actually. The interview was cancelled after it was scheduled to begin. Manager said he had a last-minute meeting to attend at 9am. The interview was then rescheduled without consulting my availability. This is just a bad way to do business, reflects poorly on Symantec, and disrespectful of my time. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the interview process and the recruiter responded that this is very common with other companies and doesn't reflect badly on Symantec.

As a company, you need to realize your interviewee's time is very valuable. I have to set aside time in my day to do an interview as well as time the day before to prepare and read up on the company. If you need to cancel an interview, you need to provide an advance notice. I would've settle for 10 minutes notice even as a courtesy.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec in October 2015.

Interview

this was an over the phone screen for a full stack java position at Symantec.
    The interviewer started me off by asking really esoteric java questions (i.e. 'whats the difference between new String("foo") and "foo" ' and "how is the internal code for the "volatile" key word implemented. Some additional questions followed. Then he jumped into the coding test which he had me do on Google docs. The coding question was for me to implement my own custom HashMap from the ground up that enabled a get and a put containing a 'time to live' value. The map had to do lookups in N1 time like a normal hashmap as well as implement the time to live functionality.

I didn't do great on the coding exercise though honestly isn't implementing a specialized hashmap from scratch a lot to ask for in a phone screen (especially a phone screen from fricking Symantec)?
    There were lots of questions about synchronizing, thread locking, hibernate, and other dying technologies which gave me the impression that either Symantec is trying to build cloud-based systems on top of stateful VMs or this position involves working in deep dark legacy code.

Anyway I wrapped up the call. I don't know the outcome at the time I posted this, but regardless of the result I don't think I'll pursue.

Interview Questions

• 'whats the difference between new String("foo") and "foo" '   1 Answer
    • "how is the internal code for the "volatile" key word implemented   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Submitted my resume through their careers portal and was approached by a recruiter for scheduling a telephonic round. In the telephonic round I was interviewed by another engineer of the team who showed little interested in interviewing me and was constantly typing and speaking with another person while I was responding to his question.

Advice: Don't force anyone to interview if they don't have interest.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Interview

The first technical phone screen was pretty much simple, touching on previous projects and java basics. Then there was a homework problem and given 75 mins to solve that. The onsite was scheduled for 3 hours, but the first person to interview me could not be present due to issues he was facing at work. At the end, I was called for the second round directly after waiting for an hour. And even after that round, there was no one available to interview me, which looked pretty unprofessional on their side. Not sure if this is a one time thing or a common recurring thing. But I could not perform upto expectations in that round , and it not able to get a chance to interview the remaining rounds in the same day proved to be a negative factor in deciding my candidacy(atleast that is what I think). I was rejected after that round and not called after that.

Interview Questions

• Count paths in a matrix, write algorithm to design a boggle game   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in December 2014.

Interview

Coolest Interview process ever I had. 7 rounds of interview which includes assignment on MySQL as well. Screening questions done by Team leads and the three hours of technical round with IIT folks ranging across all platform and sectors. And then, quick assignment to be completed on MySQL Performance tuning areana and review meeting with Management teams.

Be prepared for long process and worth a try.

Selected Finally!!!

Interview Questions

• Design a DB for Facebook to maintain the newsfeeds, bulk comments, photos and videos..   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

First recruiter from Symantec contacted me. Very quick to arrange a phone interview. First phone interview by very junior developer. Very basic questions such as difference between Java and C++. Next programming assignment on hacker rank. This was sent the same day. After finishing the assignment, was called for on-site interview.
    On-Site interview scheduled for 5 interviewers. Only 4 showed up. I was told, there will be a followup interview to meet the director etc. but never happened. No interview feedback provided.

Interview Questions

• how bitly shortens the URLs
      How do you delete a node in BST
      write code that causes deadlock
      Explain Java Memory Model   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I had a behavioral phone interview followed a few days later by a technical phone interview.

About 2 weeks after the technical phone interview, I had a onsite interview that consisted of another behavioral phone interview and 3 technical interviews.

The interview process was moderately challenging, but fair, and I liked the people I met.

About 6 weeks after my onsite interview I hadn't heard anything from Symantec, so I contacted them and was told someone would get back to me. Another 2 weeks go by, and I made another attempt to contact them, and got the same answer.

About 4 months later, the status of my application on the Symantec jobs website changed to “No Longer Under Consideration”. I was never contacted by anyone after my onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• The technical phone interview consisted mostly of testing my knowledge of C++. The onsite interviews were mostly design questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA).

Interview

interview with HR, then phone interview with a Developer and finally 1-1 interview with 4 engineers