Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

I met Symantec recruiters during career fair at my university. Some weeks later I got an email to solve a problem online. After succesfully solving the problem we scheduled an online interview.

Interview Questions

• The task was to generate all possible permutations of a string.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter contacted within a day. I had telephonic interview. Interviewer asked about singleton pattern, I answered it but he was looking for a particular answer and was rude.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec in February 2016.

Interview

Phone interview, need to solve a coding problem. The interview will also ask basic questions related to experience, skills and projects that are on your resume. Mostly a software engineer of your future team will take the phone screen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied on the school career fair and talked with their head recruiter. I did a simple coding test and about two weeks later I received an email from one of their techinical department manager to arrange an one hour phone interview. Now I am still waiting for the feedback.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview. I talked with one technical department manager and he mainly asked me about problems and basic concepts in sql. Questions are like how to select data with common features.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I'm a current Symantec employee. The interview was extremely disorganized. It's ironic that my colleagues and I interviewed at companies like Google, Amazon, and Facebook and got offers from them but are not qualified to work at our own company.

Interview Questions

• Random questions unrelated to the job description (Java required). Very old school, asking about C/C++ memory malloc, storage alternatives to DBs, RAM, etc. They just wanted to argue without following a logical explanation for an answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Symantec (Cambridge, MA) in February 2016.

Interview

Symantec came on campus for a career fair. I submitted my resume and received a call a week later.
    Initial interview was over Skype, follow up onsite interviews were at their new swanky campus in Cambridge. Questions were pretty basic for the most part - implementing string functions in C and so forth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (San Jose, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Telephonic and then onsite in Big data / DevOps team. The team is really rude and makes you feel like they are the busiest person on planet earth. During interview, they kept interrupting me and asking me useless questions. I was scheduled for 4 interviews. But after 2 interviews they rejected me for no specific reasons as I could solve all the algorithmic problems given by them.

Looking at their behavior, I would not like to make them my future colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Search element in rotated binary search   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very simple process, but a lot of interviews: 2 technical phone screens, long on-site interview. I was contacted by a senior engineer and interviewed over the phone using Google Drive. On-site interview in Mountain View, CA. Had a lot of data structure and algorithm questions. Thought process was also very important

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

First interview on career fair, then technical phone interview, talk about projects on resume, and a easy coding test. After that, I was told to attend the onsite interview, there are 4 rounds in onsite interview and the staffs in the team you gonna work with will be the interviewer,

Interview Questions

• atoi
      recursion
      linklist
      hashtable
      talk about your background
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

One technical phone interview, just general data structure and algorithms and then I was told they wanted to bring me onsite. Onsite has four rounds, lunch, and three technical. During the lunch interview, the interviewer said there would be more people joining interviews later, they are team members, and just wanted to check if we could work together well and they were there to support the main interviewers. Second round was good, the guy is a senior engineer, very friendly and always willing to help. The other experiences were bad. In the next round, one of the team member who has worked there for 5 months didn't get my idea when I was solving the question. He kept asking the same question until the other interviewer stopped him and told him what my idea was, and explained the design to him as I did for thousand times. He still couldn't get it. And it wasted us for more then 15 minutes, he just didn't read my code carefully and didn't understand what Java can do. It gave me a bad impression of interviewer's professional. The next round still had two interviewers involved. They kept gauging me about same concept and were very impatient and not helpful. It looked like they aimed to fail me in the beginning, even though I solved the technical question later. I didn't meet any interviewers like that, unfriendly and not helpful, when I was doing the whiteboard their face expression told me I was totally wasting their time while I have no idea what did I do to offend em.

Interview Questions

• general data structure and algorithms, linked list, hashmap   Answer Question