Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 11, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied this from school career fair and got phone interview a week later, the first is initial phone call, asked me something about my resume and then gave me a technique phone call next week.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I had an 1 hour on-site interview with two people. They are friendly and ask all about technical software questions. The first guy asked some concepts about object-oriented programming and a small class design. The second guy gave me two coding questions and asked me to write on the white board. The questions were not hard at all, but you should get used of writing code on a board.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The position was for a software developer for cloud engineering. He asked me some basic questions about hadoop.
    After that he scheduled another round with one of the senior engineers from the team I was being hired for.
    The interview went well and I was given a call to the next round which was supposed to be the final round, a video conference interview with three members from the team and the hiring director.

One day before the interview, I received an email from the recruiter that they had already found someone for the position and they cancelled the final round.

I thought this was really unprofessional of them to do this as I had spent an entire week preparing for the final round. I communicated the same to the recruiter when I called her back.

I hope this makes everyone interviewing for this company aware of what could happen, not saying this will happen to every candidate. It is always good to know before hand that this level of unprofessionalism can also be expected from what I thought is a reputed Fortune 500 company.

Interview Questions

• Find duplicates in a sorted array and print the unique elements?
      e.g. A = {1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5}, the output should be {1,2,3,4,5}
      1 Answer
    • Write a function to convert roman numerals to integers   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec in July 2015.

Interview

Interviewer from Symantec emailed me about an hour before our scheduled time and asked if we could push up the interview to right then. I told him no since I was not in a place where I could do the interview until the original time and he seemed annoyed. Interview started at original time and he told me a link to go to so he could see me live coding. I implemented 2 algorithms and I guess it was not satisfactory because I was told right away that he did not think I would be a good fit.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position through reference. The first call was from the manager for initial screening then was called for an onsite interview. The onsite interview was with the team I was going to work for - senior arch, manager and the other team members. They asked questions related to my previous work experience and resume highlights. It was pretty easy. The decision was made within a week as i had another offer in hand.

Interview Questions

• Basic programming questions, experience and behavioral type questions.. Quite easy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. Got a call for technical interview initially. After that had another round of technical interview. Finally a HR round. The whole process took around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The questions were specific to the team I was being interviewed for
      1. Basic java and C++ ( checked vs unchecked exception, usage of volatile keyword )
      2. Multithreading related questions
      3. Singleton design pattern
      4. Multiprocessor related scenario based question
      5. Question from the resume - mostly about previous projects
      6. Security related questions - virus, worms, IDS, firewall
      Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

Friends referred me. Sent the resume to manager. The manager quickly set up the interview through phone. First round manager asks behavior questions and some questions based the resume. Then another 2 more technical questions from senior software engineers. About 1 week later, I got the offer. The whole process took about 2-3 weeks, and it was very smooth.

Interview Questions

• Some basic algorithm and data structure white board coding.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

totally 2 rounds of telephone interview, first round is just something about resume, the interviewer asked some question about my project design and detail. No programming questions.
    Second round is of some programming questions and some concept questions about OO programming, hashtable and etc, both rounds are about half hour. On average the interview is not so difficult and the people are nice and very easy to talk to. Good experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe the difference between hashmap and hashtable   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec in November 2014.

Interview

Talked to company reps on college career fair and got a call back 2 months later for a phone interview. There was one onsite after the phone interview which include 2 one-to-one interviews with the software engineers.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about data structure, OOP and basic knowledge on C++/Java. Make sure you are very familiar to the fundamentals of DS.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

On site interview consisting of several programming questions done on white board. The interview was with several different people and involved a question in your desired language with each person. The entire process was about 2 hours long and was scheduled at a time convenient for me. Parking is provided.

Interview Questions

• How to determine the time of a clock based on the angles of the hands.   Answer Question