Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2017

80 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very simple process, but a lot of interviews: 2 technical phone screens, long on-site interview. I was contacted by a senior engineer and interviewed over the phone using Google Drive. On-site interview in Mountain View, CA. Had a lot of data structure and algorithm questions. Thought process was also very important

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

First interview on career fair, then technical phone interview, talk about projects on resume, and a easy coding test. After that, I was told to attend the onsite interview, there are 4 rounds in onsite interview and the staffs in the team you gonna work with will be the interviewer,

Interview Questions

• atoi
      recursion
      linklist
      hashtable
      talk about your background   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

One technical phone interview, just general data structure and algorithms and then I was told they wanted to bring me onsite. Onsite has four rounds, lunch, and three technical. During the lunch interview, the interviewer said there would be more people joining interviews later, they are team members, and just wanted to check if we could work together well and they were there to support the main interviewers. Second round was good, the guy is a senior engineer, very friendly and always willing to help. The other experiences were bad. In the next round, one of the team member who has worked there for 5 months didn't get my idea when I was solving the question. He kept asking the same question until the other interviewer stopped him and told him what my idea was, and explained the design to him as I did for thousand times. He still couldn't get it. And it wasted us for more then 15 minutes, he just didn't read my code carefully and didn't understand what Java can do. It gave me a bad impression of interviewer's professional. The next round still had two interviewers involved. They kept gauging me about same concept and were very impatient and not helpful. It looked like they aimed to fail me in the beginning, even though I solved the technical question later. I didn't meet any interviewers like that, unfriendly and not helpful, when I was doing the whiteboard their face expression told me I was totally wasting their time while I have no idea what did I do to offend em.

Interview Questions

• general data structure and algorithms, linked list, hashmap   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied this from school career fair and got phone interview a week later, the first is initial phone call, asked me something about my resume and then gave me a technique phone call next week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I had an 1 hour on-site interview with two people. They are friendly and ask all about technical software questions. The first guy asked some concepts about object-oriented programming and a small class design. The second guy gave me two coding questions and asked me to write on the white board. The questions were not hard at all, but you should get used of writing code on a board.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. The position was for a software developer for cloud engineering. He asked me some basic questions about hadoop.
    After that he scheduled another round with one of the senior engineers from the team I was being hired for.
    The interview went well and I was given a call to the next round which was supposed to be the final round, a video conference interview with three members from the team and the hiring director.

One day before the interview, I received an email from the recruiter that they had already found someone for the position and they cancelled the final round.

I thought this was really unprofessional of them to do this as I had spent an entire week preparing for the final round. I communicated the same to the recruiter when I called her back.

I hope this makes everyone interviewing for this company aware of what could happen, not saying this will happen to every candidate. It is always good to know before hand that this level of unprofessionalism can also be expected from what I thought is a reputed Fortune 500 company.

Interview Questions

• Find duplicates in a sorted array and print the unique elements?
      e.g. A = {1,2,2,3,3,3,4,5}, the output should be {1,2,3,4,5}   1 Answer
    • Write a function to convert roman numerals to integers   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Symantec in July 2015.

Interview

Interviewer from Symantec emailed me about an hour before our scheduled time and asked if we could push up the interview to right then. I told him no since I was not in a place where I could do the interview until the original time and he seemed annoyed. Interview started at original time and he told me a link to go to so he could see me live coding. I implemented 2 algorithms and I guess it was not satisfactory because I was told right away that he did not think I would be a good fit.

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Symantec (Roseville, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied for the position through reference. The first call was from the manager for initial screening then was called for an onsite interview. The onsite interview was with the team I was going to work for - senior arch, manager and the other team members. They asked questions related to my previous work experience and resume highlights. It was pretty easy. The decision was made within a week as i had another offer in hand.

Interview Questions

• Basic programming questions, experience and behavioral type questions.. Quite easy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Culver City, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. Got a call for technical interview initially. After that had another round of technical interview. Finally a HR round. The whole process took around 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The questions were specific to the team I was being interviewed for
      1. Basic java and C++ ( checked vs unchecked exception, usage of volatile keyword )
      2. Multithreading related questions
      3. Singleton design pattern
      4. Multiprocessor related scenario based question
      5. Question from the resume - mostly about previous projects
      6. Security related questions - virus, worms, IDS, firewall   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Portland, OR) in April 2015.

Interview

Friends referred me. Sent the resume to manager. The manager quickly set up the interview through phone. First round manager asks behavior questions and some questions based the resume. Then another 2 more technical questions from senior software engineers. About 1 week later, I got the offer. The whole process took about 2-3 weeks, and it was very smooth.

Interview Questions

• Some basic algorithm and data structure white board coding.   Answer Question