Symantec Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Symantec Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Sent a resume and was contacted by a recruiter. We set up an interview for the same day. It was pleasant.They asked a bunch of questions about my skills and some technical terms. I didn't know all of them but they said it was fine, they just wanted to see what level I was at in order to determine if I had anything to move forward with an in-person interview. They said they will let me know if I will proceed tomorrow.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Symantec

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in March 2013.

Interview

Interview was pretty easy; most of the questions related to troubleshooting Windows based computers. Everything from troubleshooting drivers and installations to gathering data for blue screens and troubleshooting network issues. You need to know the popular ports (FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, SSH, etc...) and it helps to be familiar with the OSI Model. You should be familiar with how to gather various logs in Windows or how to capture data using tools like Wireshark or Procmon.

Interview Questions

• A user lost network connection. What are five things you would check for?

How would you troubleshoot a computer that blue screens?

What are some of the popular protocols and their port numbers?

What is SMB? What is SMTP/IMAP?
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Symantec (Eugene, OR) in August 2012.

Interview

Overall it was a very simple interview process. You will first receive a call asking for a phone interview. If this interview is successful you will be awarded a chance for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• For me the most difficult question was "Tell us a time when you contributed to a major project and how your impact affected the project?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Symantec (Heathrow, FL) in May 2010.

Interview

hiring process consisted of background check - takes 4 weeks
    1 interview
    then job offer

Interview Questions

• the manager interview was not really an interview it was just telling me the benefits of working for Symc
      the technical part of it was a guy from support asked me 3 questions (easy ones) and that was it ! - that process may have changed by now!
      Answer Question

Negotiation

they gave me a figure- I countered-they accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lindon, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Lindon, UT) in August 2009.

Interview

I was called late in the evening for a requested review as soon as possible. It was about 8pm when I drove 20 miles to be interviewed. I was given a written test to show my technical knowledge and experience (particularly with SQL).

After that I was taken to a room for 1 on 1 interview. They started like most, by saying "So tell me about yourself." They mostly wanted to know my technical background. At one point they gave me 15 or 20 minutes to play a game on the computer. It was a game with a cube and you are supposed to click squares to change the color to make a path from point A to point B. I wanted to show how I work well independently so I did not ask for any help the entire time, even when it became challenging. That may have been a mistake. They did other "game tests" too, but that was the most time consuming. I've never had an interview like it before or since. My friend's brother was there at the same time. He was hired, I was not.

The office was a typical cubicle style setting in a large 2-story building. Since it was so late almost nobody else was there, except my friend, his brother, the interviewer, and maybe a couple others.

Interview Questions

• Playing that cube game was very unexpected. That is the only interview I've had where they wanted to watch me play a game. Other than that, most of the interview was fairly standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Symantec (Springfield, OR) in February 2009.

Interview

I was hired after submitting several resumes over several years. A referral was very important to getting my job. I had two interviews: one technical over the phone, one behavioral in person.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain the OSI Model of networking?   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Chennai (India)) in May 2016.

Interview

First level is telephonic interview and questions are about file stream and JVM related questions.
    How can we get the running JVM status from one machine to another. Also about file reading concepts.
    How can we access a file with different threads without lossing data?
    These are the questions during telephonic

Interview Questions

• Print square array, Print mirror of tree   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Symantec.

Interview

waste of time.. no one knows anything .. no respect for internal employees...all gambling.. no one knows how to take interview based on profile.. look at profile u dumb fellows before interviewing ... if u dont know.. go n sit in mba classes to take interview

Interview Questions

• waste of time.. no one knows anything .. if u have influence.. u get it without any knowledge.. respect internal employees   1 Answer

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Symantec (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was good. I was screened at phone and was called for face-to-face interview. the interview process was straight forward followed by technical exam. I seriously didn't know that exam was timed and I believe this is where I got hit.I had to deliberately leave some questions unanswered due to the lack of time. I wished I could assure them what a better fit I would be and how badly I wanted to work for them.I am overall happy with experience and will apply again if the similar opportunity arrives (suggested by the interviewer/Manager in my follow up email)

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pune (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Symantec (Pune (India)) in March 2013.

Interview

Hiring process is as follows

1. Telephonic interview
    2. Skype interview

Interview Questions

• 1. Telephonic interview (around 45 to 50 min) - asked you about your mentioned technical skills, you have to clear with your basics. This is the main interview.

2. Skype interview - they just check your communication skills, presence of mind. This is like HR round.
      Answer Question